Futureal

How good is Futureal on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'futureal'

What I've pulled out of Futureal is a bit off the wall.

I think it's a suicide note from a paranoid person. The paranoid behavior, insomnia, and hullucinations are all symptoms of a psychological condition whose name escapes me at the moment. (Any psych people want to help me out?)

On the other hand, the song perfectly describes the premise for the Matrix feature film series. Interestingly, however, VirtualXI was released almost exactly 12 months BEFORE the first Matrix film.
Has the supernatural power of Iron Maiden's once again been proven?

Cheers,
Iron Duke

'futureal'

It sounds to me like the story of someone stuck in a virtual world and unable to get out of it... Internet anyone? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'futureal'

I think those lyrics are too vague to ascribe a specific meaning to them. Or to put it another way, everyone will have his/her own interpretation.

Two ideas that came to my mind:
1. A guy who owes a lot of money to the mob (maybe even the incorrigible gambler from the next song) and who's running from the goons sent to cause him grievous bodily harm.
2. A much more twisted thought: this song could apply to sick kids like the Columbine killers. (In this case I mean "sick" as in "mentally ill", not as a derogatory term.)

But I've always been into Maiden more for the music than the lyrics, and I love the musical side of this song.

'futureal'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Feb 23 2004, 10:55 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 23 2004, 10:55 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] It sounds to me like the story of someone stuck in a virtual world and unable to get out of it... Internet anyone?  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Which is maybe exactly why Iron Duke saw it similar to The Matrix. It seems to describe those people who get lost on their computers to me.

'futureal'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on 'Futureal' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Likewise, as tastes are pretty subjective and personal, I prefer to leave the appreciation of the song to a democratic vote and you can rate the song here. It would also be nice if you could let us know why you like/dislike it.

Cheers! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

'futureal'

A pretty short and quick one. Not too bad, but not too memorable as well, so it's a good average one. They could write some more uptempo songs like Futureal.

'futureal'

4/5

Great album openning, great concert openning (during Virtual XI World Tour).
Dave's "double" solo is one of his best.
And, as always, I prefer when it's Blaze who sing it even if it's one that Bruce sing not too bad... [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'futureal'

Yeah I'd agree that it would be a paranoiac talking in this song. Great song but a better song about delsuion and paranoia would Metallica's The Frayed Ends Of Sanity on ...And Justice For All. It's a lot more complex and detailed. Just my 2 cents on this topic [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .

'futureal'

Looking at the album cover and the lyrics to this song, I suppose hardly anyone can help making a "Matrix" association. But then, isn't it true that in the late nineties, when the internet and all that really started to kick off, people began wondering where it will end? Couldn't it be that Maiden and "Matrix" have had the same inspiration but evolved independently from each other?

'futureal'

The commentary on 'Futureal' has been re-worked, along with a few others on the same album. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

'futureal'

Excellent read, Maverick! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

I might add that Blaze, who wrote the lyrics for Futureal is a gamer himself, as stated in many interviews.

Daily Song: Futureal

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Futureal

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Short, fast, in your face. I find this song to be a very good opener, if a little stereotypical. Bruce butchered it live. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: Futureal

So my thoughts is that it's a good opener and a straight short songs that shouldn't be longer than it already is.

7/10

I really love this track, it's awesome. Dave's solo is one of his best, I love the lick at the start of it.

I like this one. A lot. Great energy. Great spiraling, almost out-of-control riff. Great song. But not quite a nine. Eight, but a high eight.

7. Blaze's singing and tone is bad in this song, it's fast, it's in your face, but it doesn't knock you back, don't like the chorus (one of Maiden's worst), but the solo and the melody after the solo are brilliant, live, it worked a lot better and Bruce doesn't butcher it live, it's that the song isn't that good, indeed.

One of their best openers, neck-breaking and in your face. I've always enjoyed this one a lot. 9/10.

mckindog said:
I like this one. A lot. Great energy. Great spiraling, almost out-of-control riff. Great song. But not quite a nine. Eight, but a high eight.

I agree with this a lot, but I also would like to point out my favourite part, namely the guitar section right after the solo. An incredibly energetic moment. This album has several of such strong moments where Janick and Dave do not form a harmony. Instead they play the same, with no accompaniment of rhythm guitars. This formula provides lots of space for the thundering rhythm section. Those accents are fantastic.

I too give a very high eight, but not enough for a nine.

Back