FUNNY / RANDOM / WEIRD Pictures...

I don't know if the question itself was well worded, but the phenomenon of being afraid of men is real. I've always been hesitant of moving outside on my own at night.

Now I don't know if I should reply, as I don't know if this is the right thread. :)

Interesting that it was a woman who responded to my post. What I wanted to say was that according to my experience, men don't always know women are afraid to walk alone late at night, and I've been made fun of when I didn't want to do that. I thought by mentioning this, I might increase knowledge on this phenomenon, so men might be more aware of this. May have been a mistake to post about this. If so, please ignore.

It's not a mistake to post about it. I suspect I responded to your post because 1) men are weary of questioning a woman's opinion on such topics because they would be called out for sexism and usually rightly so, and 2) your wording made me think you are afraid of men (like, in general), which is a highly unusual stance for a European-born and raised woman. I just wanted to know why that is.

P.S. Don't be shy or insecure about posting anything here. This forum has seen all sorts or craze, irrelevance, questionable beliefs, and ultra-personal oversharing. If anyone has a problem with what you post, we'll call them out for sexism.

Women are more likely to get raped by someone they know and (partially) trust. I'll give you a rundown on what happens in my place based on my own reading of news :

1. sexual assault as domestic violence or stemming from abuse of authority - raped at home or family home, workplace, church, military, etc.
2. random acts of sexual violence after a night out (the tourist model).

The domestic specimen of woman, all ages, doesn't seem to be afraid of going anywhere around the city where there's public lighting. If they go to woods or forest park they tend to bring their dogs with them. Every third car you see on the road driven by a sole woman.

Also, the district attorney does not bring charges up against bystanders who eagerly knockout criminals who blatantly assault other people in public or try to steal their property in front of them.

I mean, there's a whole thing about privilege and power, too. Men have more power, therefore making jokes on them is punching up; whereas women have less power, so making jokes on them is punching down.

I agree some people are wound too tightly on it, of course, but there's degrees here.

I mean, there's a whole thing about privilege and power, too. Men have more power, therefore making jokes on them is punching up; whereas women have less power, so making jokes on them is punching down.

I agree some people are wound too tightly on it, of course, but there's degrees here.
It's still a double standard though. That bothers me. Armchair feminists shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it.

Now I don't know if I should reply, as I don't know if this is the right thread. :)

Interesting that it was a woman who responded to my post. What I wanted to say was that according to my experience, men don't always know women are afraid to walk alone late at night, and I've been made fun of when I didn't want to do that. I thought by mentioning this, I might increase knowledge on this phenomenon, so men might be more aware of this. May have been a mistake to post about this. If so, please ignore.

If it helps you. A long time ago I returned to my place after a party being completely drunk. A woman some 20 years older than me (I.e. around 45 at the time) came out of a pub and asked me if I could accompany her down the street. She was about as drunk as I was, but I understood her concern. I lived in a borough of my city infamous at the time for immigrants and poor people not exactly respectful of women and their right to say "no". I guess she trusted me because I was obviously German, obviously not interested in a woman her age and if I may say so, quite handsome and wearing a shining armour (joke.). I did accompany her until I had to go to my street. I never saw her again. My point: More men are aware of this than you'd think, but you have good reasons to mistrust them - and a man truly aware of your fears will understand you.

:rolleyes:

Maybe this whole conversation should be moved to another thread, but I'd really like to know what could make a woman in a civilized country afraid of men as a whole.
Assuming the post Saap put up ties in loosely with the #metoo movement, I think the intention of that originally was to highlight that despite living in civilised countries, where this behaviour is largely frowned upon, there's still a (small?) hardcore of people who think unacceptable behaviour, violence/sexual violence towards women, and oppression of women either doesn't go on at all, or downplays or condones it on some level. The fact that #metoo started in the US, where some scary wrath-of-God type moral opinions are celebrated in some quarters, and you hear examples of the law going easy on a rapist because he was the right sort of guy from a nice family who just messed up, has a lot to do with it.

The tag was meant to be about the pockets of male-chauvinist culture that still exist, but it does get overgeneralised massively both by militant feminists and reactionary listeners who get the impression (usually from reading militant feminist posts) that equality has gone too far. A 'none of us can feel safe while there are any men around' type statement is really silly, if that was actually context of the comment. If it's talking about a specific group of victims, that's different. Meanwhile, my neighbour is being shouted at by her husband, after being pushed around by her abusive son all afternoon, and their little circle of mates think that's perfectly acceptable.

A new thread sounds sensible!

- Visit Quora once.
- Get a lifetime supply of weird questions you don't care about in your inbox.

127edb9b53106e36c8f07228f802f3fb.png

1548ccdd031ee5b0dd5be261fbfd21d7.png

f900dd94d5ca4c4d5660d728765fdc83.png

Back