Foo Fighters

I remember hearing an interview with Grohl where he was raving about Mob Rules.
He's a Dio fan.

It was very easy to notice to be honest. But then again, I know that song for ages. Don't mind it that much either. Song is quite ok!

It's very obviously not trying to rip off Holy Diver, sounds more like an homage. After all, it's only the first half of the riff and it sounds like Stevie Wonder. I really like this song, though. The slightly dissonant octave chords are cool and the overall vibe of the song is quite different from most Foo Fighters material.

The very end of the song is the key to it all, when it becomes obvious that the "Holy Diver" riff is in fact a variation on the first three chords from an earlier riff.

Of course, that earlier riff follows the melody "oh I see his face" from Stargazer, so there's still Dio influence. That melody is a FF favorite; it is also a major feature of "I Should Have Known" from Wasting Light.

I suspect this won't be the last homage to another popular song we hear on this album.

For those who have been paying attention to Grohl's musical endeavors over the past year or so, it's quite clear that he's been really interested in paying tribute to musical influences - both on him and American culture. The Sound City documentary and soundtrack album is a pretty good example of this and this new HBO series the Foos have got going seems like a continuation of this but even more focused on the cultural side of things, with each episode taking place in a different city and all. The idea seems to be the influence certain cities have on music, but it can include artists too. This album seems to very much be a tribute to the artists and music styles that have impacted Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters. It's a cool idea.

I watched Ep 1 of the HBO series ... fantastic. An interesting idea for an album. Looking forward to the album.

I've read and still like to read about Grohl's musical influences.From Nirvana until now...but to actually incorporate those influences into your music on a normal studio album? I don't know. Call me cynical... but Foo Fighters do not need to set themselves up as "gatekeepers" into classic rock for a new generation....That pisses me off in some way. They may *be* for some people, but don't pin that medal on yourself.

Last edited:
There's gonna be a lot of teenagers who's gonna be "inspired" to listen to Dio, Sabbath, etc thanks to that track, so I guess Grohl is doing the kids a favor or what? Or is he doing doing himself a favor because a lot of those kids are not gonna CARE who wrote the original riffs?

But we don't have the time or the cash to travel the world celebrating it.
Wouldn't you love to do what he's doing?

So you mean, he's making Holy Diver his own because he want to continue traveling the world and being a huge rock star like he is? And you mean we would all do that if we could?

Back