Foo Fighters

I ask myself if Dio would care about this, or be honoured. Let's be honest, Dio wouldn't give a damn. Dave Grohl is one of the most famous musicians of this generation, and this is a tribute on a massive scale.

He probably wouldn't care no and:

"The recurring pre-chorus riff in “Something From Nothing” is a déjà vu inducing tribute to Dio’s 1983 classic “Holy Diver.” Dave Grohl was not only a collaborator with the late Ronnie James Dio on the 2001 Tenacious D song “Kickapoo” which Grohl played drums on, but the two were also neighbors in Encino, California, which Grohl spoke about in Foo Fighters’ 2006 Acoustic Concert DVD Skin and Bones.

The borrowed riff in question first occurs at the 1:30 mark in “Something From Nothing”
The Foo Fighters riff is an obvious Dio tribute. Grohl is too much of a metalhead and musicologist to have written this by accident"

http://www.alternativenation.net/new-foo-fighters-single-pays-tribute-dios-holy-diver/

The fact that he had this close relationship with DIO makes the homage a bit more acceptable I think...Just overall, I would hate to see it in rock music in general. people obviously borrowing sections and riffs and what not..

There is a massive difference between a tribute and a ripoff. I hate ripoffs, but this clearly falls into the tribute category. I didn't know they were neighbours. I imagine he misses Dio too.

Now I have a sad.

It falls into the tribute box because we know Grohl is a cool dude and wouldn't ripoff something for his own gain. I understand why Grohl wanted to do it. But what if it was say....Nickelback or whomever. Hell on earth. But yeah I'm still "Meh" about it if I look at it objectively and from a musical standpoint. ;) But yeah whatever...Waiting for full album.

It falls into the tribute box because we know Grohl is a cool dude and wouldn't ripoff something for his own gain.
That, and Grohl is being open and honest about it. If Nickelback did it, I wouldn't be as impressed because they don't have the metal cred, but I can say, ok, they're trying. Maybe a Nickelback fan will look into this Dio guy. If Nickelback did it and gave no credit, I'd start distributing torches and pitchforks. Not that I need to worry about that, because Holy Diver uses more chords in one song than Nickelback does in their entire catalogue.

Episode 2 of Sonic Highways was really cool, lots of interesting stuff and some music I hadn't heard before. My only complaint is the glaring omission of Duke Ellington. The guy wasn't even mentioned. I get that he was mostly based in New York, but he was born in DC and his music is cherished there. But besides that, it was a really great episode with a nice message. I hope Dave keeps doing these rock docs cause they're awesome.

The song was OK. It doesn't sound like typical Foo Fighters to me, mostly because it's missing that big signature rock chorus ala The Pretender or Monkey Wrench. It's a bit messy but it sounds to me like Grohl was trying to channel his inner punk with a lot of it. I think the downfall is that it has of that polished Foo Fighters sound. I can't tell if it wants to be a punk song or an arena rock song. But maybe that's what he was trying to do. Now that I think of it, that would be appropriate for the episode's theme. Hopefully the song grows on me.

I think this wasn't posted:
I think there's a couple of other videos from the same show in related videos.

Holy Diver uses more chords in one song than Nickelback does in their entire catalogue.

Not quite true, because the genius of Holy Diver is even deeper. It only uses a few chords, but they are presented in myriad variations. Nickelback uses just as few chords, but they only know one riff.

Watched the second episode of Sonic Highways and honestly, I was kind of bored. Maybe my Chicago history and bias towards the city made the first episode more interesting, but the DC one was just meandering. If every episode is going to be 4 minutes of band/recording/interview footage and 56 minutes of talking about obscure punk bands that sound fucking terrible (yet are hailed as brilliant), I'm gonna lose interest real quick.

I have the same bias ... I think DC is the main one where we will hear punk as that is where Grohl is from and those are the bands he got into. I think, and hope, this is the only one like this

There was one punk band he mentioned, The Bad Brains, they were awesome.

Just heard the new Foo Fighters. Awesome album, easily one of their best and their most unique by far. I'm not sure if it's better than Wasting Light. It's hard to compare the two but they're at least on the same level. Only one song I didn't really care for (Outside) and I'm still getting into The Feast and the Famine, but everything else was really great! Each song has its own personality and there was lots of attention to detail here, which is a nice change of pace since most of their albums have a few obvious throwaway songs at least, and this one doesn't have any of that. I have to say I was a bit skeptical with this album, but they more than exceeded my expectations. :ok:

Favorite songs: What Did I Do/God As My Witness (one of their all time best), Congregation, I Am the River, In the Clear

Well worth checking out. 2014 has been a great year.

I am enjoying this as well, I got the LP yesterday. I agree with your best of list and would add Something From Nothing. Excellent album all around, I want to watch the HBO series as well.

Yea Something From Nothing is great too. As is Subterranean. But I didn't want to fanboy out and list all but 2 songs as favorites. :p But the album really is that good, probably their most consistent.

The show is a bit more hit and miss. It's really informative but it's also a lot to take in for an hour and I have a hard time sitting through entire episodes. On the plus side, that just means I'll probably go back to each episode at some point. It also really adds to the appreciation of the music. I'm really looking forward to seeing the next four episodes. Hopefully after seeing the episode for Outside, I'll like the song more.

I think consistent is the key. I thought Wasting Light was pretty consistent as well. Everything before that had some incredible songs on them, but a decent amount of filler as well.

Wasting Light has Back & Forth which is one of their worst songs to date in my opinion. It just sounded really bland and uninspired. Then it's followed by A Matter of Time which is a good song but still not at the caliber of the rest of the album. So the album kinda loses steam there, otherwise it'd be perfect. The only two albums of theirs that are great non stop from start to finish for me are There Is Nothing Left to Lose and The Colour and the Shape. But Wasting Light is really close.

Right now I prefer the best songs from Wasting Light to those on Sonic Highways, but I could see that changing as I get to know the album better. Right now Sonic Highways sits comfortably at #4 in overall rankings.

Eh, I'm not surprised. Wasting Light was critically acclaimed, I'm sure most of the media was hoping for Wasting Light 2. Anybody who knows the band knows that this isn't how the band operates. This is not a Rolling Stone friendly album.

Back