Flight of Icarus

How good is Flight of Icarus on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

The Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner
“I wanted to write a song which was about the way a lot of people are dominated by their parents. Icarus’ father was a pretty weird guy who made him fly. A lot of us go through life in a dream state. I’m for expanding the capacities of the human mind. So many of the menial things can be handled by computers- we don’t really need to physically evolve anymore.”

Who'd have thought that it also had THAT as a meaning!?!?!

'flight Of Icarus'

If you read the original myth about daidalus and icarus, you will see that Icarus was nothing more than foolish and disobedient in his desicion to fly near the sun despite his father's warning. However, in the song, there's a streak of teenage rebellion in his attitude ("looks the old man in the eye" etc.), and I think maiden add a layer to the lyrics, approaching teenage reaction to parents. any thoughts?

'flight Of Icarus'

All I know is that the myth suffers quite a lot in Maiden's song. There was nothing about standing atop a hill or facing a crowd, and I wonder what this shit is about "he knows his father betrayed".

Daedalus and Icarus simply fled from a prison (the labyrinth) by making wings out of wax and bird feathers (the myth itself it quite dodgy too). Icarus flew too high and fell to his death into the sea. That's all there is to it.

But I suppose you're right when you mention that, both in the myth and in Maiden's song, it could be about rebellion of the youngsters towards their elders...

'flight Of Icarus'

well, actualy, in the myth it's not about teenage rebellion. it's about teenagers been spontanious and careless.

daidalus i think acording to the myth was an architec, thus he was good at building structures. i *think* that he was the one who designed the labyrinth too.

'flight Of Icarus'

If you want to know more, go check [a href=\'http://www.bulfinch.org/fables/bull20.html#icarus\' target=\'_blank\']Bullfich's Mythology Website[/a] [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'flight Of Icarus'

I always wondered why H and Bruce butchered the myth in Flight of Icarus. Does anyone know why?

'flight Of Icarus'

I have no idea why the myth was treated in such a horrible manner. Maybe some gremlin did it -- the same one who forced the writing of "at a time when dinosaurs walked the earth" [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'flight Of Icarus'

the song is actually a half metaphor for teenage rebellion. Thats what the story is trying to say on the inside. I know this isn't what it is like in the real myth but that is what bruce used it for. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'flight Of Icarus'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on '[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album04_pom/commentary04_pom〈=eng&link=albums#track3\' target=\'_blank\']Flight Of Icarus[/a]' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'flight Of Icarus'

In all my years of listening tto maiden I never noticed this line:

"Now he knows his father betrayed, now his wings turn to ashes to ashes his grave"

In Maiden's twist of the myth, Icarus believes that his father betrayed him! He thinks that his father on purpose led him to his death by not warning him that the sun would melt his wings. teenage rebellion and "sins of thy father" is what I believe is the message behind the lyrics!

'flight Of Icarus'

Did the father betray, or is it the father who's betrayed? This is rather ambiguous...

'flight Of Icarus'

Granted, the song doesn't have much to do with the Greek myth, but I really like this song, it's one of my favourite songs on that album. I also think that the faster pace on LAD destroys the vibe of the song, it simply takes all the energy from it. Anyway, the studio version is heavy as can be, and Bruce's voice is absolutely amazing.

'flight Of Icarus'

nice Maiden song, but there's nothing special to it IMO. I also disagree with Uwe here, I think the faster version is much more enjoyable. Anyway, just a typical standard Maidensong. 3,5

'flight Of Icarus'

This is one of my three lesser favorite songs on the album. It's a short rocker/catchy tune, but really nothing special besides the blistering solos and how long Bruce holds the last note, which seems almost super human. Rating: 4/5

'flight Of Icarus'

I love this song, is one of my favorites, and more in LAD.

Oh, and Tierra Santa's cover is GREAT. (despite the fact that the singer has a very bad pronunctiation)

'flight Of Icarus'

3.5/5, decent song but not my fav by them at all. It's...actually kinda annoying to me, listening to this song.

Flight of Icarus - video question

In the video from an Iron Maiden song, I believe it was "Flight of Icarus," Adrian Smith is wearing a shirt with 2 crossed flags on it. The flags were the British flag and the Confederate Battle flag. (This is from memory so I hope it's correct.)

Any idea what this shirt is?

Re: 'flight Of Icarus'

p67 said:
Any idea what this shirt is?
Exactly as you said, a British and Confederate flag crossed... I don't think they have any real significance ;)
flightoficarussmith.jpg

Re: 'flight Of Icarus'

Nothing special, just a simple rock song with kind of a catchy chorus. My least favorite song of the album after Quest for Fire. 2.5/5

Daily Song: Flight of Icarus

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Flight of Icarus

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I like this song. It's a decent rocker, but it sounds better live, as Bruce once thought. But I don't think it's anything spectacular. 7/10.

Back