Flight of Icarus

How good is Flight of Icarus on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Flight of Icarus

I'm gonna give it an 8, based on the LAD version, which is awesome. The studio version is a 7. Solos are great, and as again with a PoM song, so is Bruce's vocal performance. The gallop in the LAD version is dead quick and much more awesome.

The performance is great, the song itself is not that special compared to the one that precedes it. The solos bring it from a 7 to an 8 (and as Jonszat correctly points out, the LAD version rocks your socks off).

I used to love this song, not so much these days. The best on this song are the solos imo, specially the outro. Besides that everything else is solid, guitar work, bass line, vocals and drums, but not too spectacular. The version from LAD is much better like many pointed out.

8/10.

I love references to mythology, and this was a great recreation of that ancient tale.  It rocks, its fun, but it isn't the best on that album; its a solid 8 for me.

Unlike others, apparently, I prefer the slower album version to the one on LAD, as it somehow emphasizes the "mythology"-feeling of the song and overall just sounds better.
In the end there's really nothing wrong with the song, even though there are some odd twists to the myth, it doesn't really matter in this case. I enjoy listening to it but it's not great. I'd give a 7½ if it were possible, because it's not "only 7" song for me, but I'll do with 7 as it isn't an 8 either.  :innocent:

8/10. Good solid song, excellent live and Bruce's vocals are on fire here.

Not a big fan of this song, I view it as the equal 2nd worst song off the album (along with Sun and Steel). I like this more than Run to the Hills so have to give this a 6.

8/10.

As many have said, the solos are great, plus the story of Icarus and Daedalus was one of the first Greek mythology stories that I heard/read when I was a kid, so it's always nice when you know of something that Maiden based their songs on.

One of my favourite Smith/Dickinson tunes.

The best Maiden single. This is a type of song that I'll never ever forget, even in 70 years time. Once again, the solo section is some of the best moments in Rock 'N' Roll. Bruce's perfromance is a master class, Steve's bass tone is delicious and it grooves and the chorus is one of the greatest. 10!!!

It's a solid rocker, but Maiden have done many better ones.  If you compare it to other excellent 80s rockers, it doesn't hold up (The Prisoner, Wasted Years, The Clairvoyant, Aces High...).  A 7.

Even though it's a simpler rocker, I absolutely love this song and really wish Maiden would put it in their live set. 9/10.

Its a pretty good rocker but it gets pwned by many of the other rockers in the golden era. Wasted years, 2minutes, aces high, the trooper, notb etc

7/10

I'm not sure why Steve doesn't like this song.

The slow groove of the song creates imagery of the slow beating of Icaruses wings as he flew across the sea.

The solos are epic as are Bruce's vocals.

A PoM rocker that should be performed live as frequently as that other PoM rocker about soldier that tries to dodge musket fire.

Fantastic song.  The live version from LAD is my favorite, but the studio is good enough to merit a 9.  I love the light roll Nicko uses on his floor tom.

This song has been pitched as overrated so long it has become drastically underrated. Aside from the great chorus and outstanding solos, what I really like is the way the verses build the dramatic tension. Nine.

4.  I lack patience for this song.  I have yet to experience it live which may change my attitude.  Too damn slow and unlike most I'd don't think the solo is that great.

I really like the build-up of Flight of Icarus. Every part is very good. Not in the least because of Bruce who drags me along. The solos are very nice. This was one of the songs in which I realized for the first time that a main songwriter doesn't need to do the most soling. It's really Dave doing the business. However, Adrian's solo is at least as much a pleasure to the ears.

A very high 8, nearer to 8,5 even. Still: 8.

I admire this song, which is my very best out of this album. Lyrically is just brilliant as it gives an alternative explanation of a known myth. Musically, is fully accomplished from the start to the end; A mind-taking crescendo of music & vocal performances. The epilogue with that scream, leaves me speechless every single time. 10/10

Back