Five years later: The Final Frontier revisited

Five years later, what do you think of the Final Frontier

• Total voters
For my tastes it could have used a hair more reverb and a slightly punchier sound. Of all the newer albums I really do think that AMOLAD has the best sound. It's live but very spacious (to me anyway). I just felt like TFF was a step down from that sound.

Pertaining to the "reunion four" :

Brave new world-best sound/production

Dance of death-best material best songs/ my favorite reunion album

A matter of life & death-best concept/art and best tour & setlist

Final frontier-good album but wins nothing categorically for me.

I played the whole album about two hours ago. To be honest, I didn't have many YES! moments. Great are still for me the intro and the bridge before the solo in Mother of Mercy, The Alchemist (very good!), Isle of Avalon and Starblind but then it's getting less again.

When I first listened to the album, intro to Mother of Mercy was my first YES! moment. It still stays intact.

When I first listened to the album, intro to Mother of Mercy was my first YES! moment. It still stays intact.
For me it was The Alchemist. The rest of the album seemed solid to me up to that point, but The Alchemist was a favorite on first listen.

But Mother of Mercy still holds up, maybe my favorite of the shorter rockers.

I think "The Talisman" was the first song I really connected with on The Final Frontier. It still is my second favourite, after "Starblind".

First love was when the wild wind blows, then mother of mercy, of I remember correctly. Talisman was one of the later songs to peak my interest but nowadays it's one of my real favourites. I think it fits the record so well sounding more traditional maiden on a record who's generally more varied then usuall, so if the rest of the record had sounded more like it I probably wouldn't have likedone it as much.

I also want to add some love to the alchemist, a short, fast song that doesn't feel like it's written just to be a single is pure genius, can't remember the last time they did that. .

Great description FORO' when you say there are few to no ...."yes!" moments on TFF. The melodies and riffs are good to great. Bruce is more up than down on the album, IMO. But at no time do I find myself fist pumping uncontrollably here. Dance of death, for me, has it going virtually all album long. And the "YES!'s are plentiful.
To me, paschendale, throughout, DOD the song as well. Montsegur is a head banging ball. Horns up all around with face in the sand and parts of NML, new frontier, and rainmaker. It is kickass 80s Maiden for the new millennium. Final frontier has it's moments. But doesn't quite get the juices flowing when compared.

He is, and I won't argue. I like Dance of Death a lot. TFF has been a grower for me, though, dare I say I listen to it more often than most of the 80s albums these days.

Funnily enough hearing AMOLAD and TFF tracks back to back...it seems that AMOLAD had a much better quality sound. This is a surprise for me since I really hated the hollow sound of AMOLAD once it came out.

Back