Final Frontier: Who is the MVP / Man Of The Match?

Although the effort is pretty collective and everyone is running and kicking asses freely throughout the whole opus, Bruce is really on his most mature and substanced stage - mind you it's being said he's at his weakest... Oh, dear... Only laughing. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...

Jeffmetal said:
Although the effort is pretty collective and everyone is running and kicking asses freely throughout the whole opus, Bruce is really on his most mature and substanced stage - mind you it's beign said he's at his weakest... Oh, dear... Only laughing. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...

He really has grown from the guy singing "Invaders" and "Die With Your Boots On" (though he does great work on those tunes.)  I have never heard him as passionate or believable as in the intro to The Talisman.

Seeing how I still haven't grasped the entire instrumental side of the album, for now I'll say that Bruce is man of the match for his lyrics.

H. No doubt.
His name is on seven (I think) of the tracks, and you can feel it. Everything sounds so new and fresh.
Maybe I'm giving him a bit too much credit, but seeing the songs he wasen't a part in makes me think he had a big influence on aspect of the album.

First listening of the album...  :shred:  ... right now....

Sorry for the spam.  :p

Saw the thread title and immediately went "Pffft! Harris of course!!"

But in the time it took me to open and reply I've decided its Smith. Reckon its oozing Smith aloofness and daretofuckwithmeitis (total word!)

H for sure. His solos are amazing (particularly TFF) and his song writing is better than ever. I actually think Steve needs him more than H needs Steve regarding song writing these days.

Harris.  You can hear his prog influence in almost every song. 

Smith gets second place as his great riffs and catchiness are present in much of the album.  Starblind and Isle of Avalon are so good that I forgive him for the horrible Coming Home and weak Mother of Mercy. 

Coming in third is Dickinson since his vocals are essential to Maiden's sound.

From there we drop from critical members to important: McBrain.  His fills are always interesting and fun (except when he was MIA on VXI);  he's the perfect drummer for Harris' and Smith's writing styles.

Then we move to the contributing members: Gers has recently moved up from "expendable clown" to "useful."  In fact thanks to great tunes like Dance of Death, The Legacy, and The Talisman, he's become at least as important as Murray, who is of course still valuable. 

I see that H, Harris and Dickinson are the top three, in any order, at all of your lists, but what about the other guys?
I think that Dave gets the fourth place. I love his solos as much as I love H's, but contributing comes from song writing. That said, I think that the one he wrote is better then the two Janick wrote.
Close after that is him is Janick, because his two songs are great too, and last but not least is Nicko. He's "just" playing, and while he is playing better than ever he didn't have a single contribution to the song writing, so he has to be last.

I'm changing my list.

1. Adrian Smith
2. Bruce Dickinson
3. Steve Harris
4. Dave Murray (close to Janick)
5. Janick Gers (close to Dave)
6. Nicko McBrain

Back