Feelings about IM T-shirts

Genghis Khan

Ancient Mariner
I'm going to risk a topic here that may get me many boos.  :down: :D

I have never felt the need to buy music-related T-shirts, Iron Maiden included, of any kind.  Personally I find it a waste of money.  I'd rather spend that money on a CD.  I find that during concerts, I am definitely a minority.  During concerts I'm jumping up and down, thrashing all around and generally acting like a maniac.  :yey:  :clap:  :dancinggeek: This creates a lot of heat.  The way I see it a black T-shirt would only increase the sweating.  :innocent: This is a personal opinion, not good or bad, just my own opinion. :)

I'm curious, however, about other people's opinions on T-Shirts (let's keep it Iron Maiden only, please).  Do you buy them?  Why or why not?  Which ones are your favourites?  What do you think about my feelings on the T-shirts?  (I'm not insecure about my opinions, but rather curious about this BB members' opinions).

:topicsucks:

I always buy them - I even get em on eBay. Why? Because its like flying a standard on the field of battle.

When I was in Disney one year with my girlfriend (ya, ya... but she wanted to go there), I spotted a guy wearing a Powerslave t-shirt. We struck up a conversation, in fact I made my way over there. Very cool. Only because he was wearing it.

So its so those of us who love Maiden can spot one another. You don't need to wear one. I also wear mine while running errands, mowing the lawn, etc.

Fav: Powerslave with Mummy Eddie on the front. Should be hanging in a museum.

Black T-shirts only make you hotter when the sun is out.

I love wearing my Maiden T-shirts. The next one I'm gonna get is of Eddie with a P bass in his hands doing a Steve Harris impersonation.

edolecki said:
...When I was in Disney one year with my girlfriend (ya, ya... but she wanted to go there)...

If you are talking about Disneyland or Disneyworld, I don't understand why you should be embarrassed.  They are very relaxing and enjoyable amusement parks.

As for Maiden T's, I have a about 7.  First off, I love T-shirts.  Secondly, I love Maiden. So... why shouldn't I wear them? 

They are sometimes good conversation starters!  And if you buy a really big one you can wrap up in one during those chilly winter nights!  They also make great wall decorations!  Buy one today! :ok:

Youngspanion said:
Black T-shirts only make you hotter when the sun is out.

I've heard differing opionions from various sources about to what extent does black really matter as far as "oh you get more hot." Personally I think it is BS, and if you do get more hot, so what? Drink water. People in the Southwestern United states used to run around in THICK trench coats, to this day Beduin nomads wrap themselves and they live in VERY hot areas. SWEAT and WATER are the key to staying cool. However in today's body obssessed (western) world sweat isn't sexy... ugh, I'm rambling, I'll just shut up now.

I'll be slapping down oodles for the new t-shirts on this tour for sure. I might save 'em for a while to keep them nice -- and perhaps just wear one of them around.  :yey:

Well.....I for one tried to wear my IM t-shirts as often as I can, sad to say it but I only have a few and 2 of those no longer fit cuz I bought them back in the 80's  :bigsmile:  and one of Bruce (Accident of Birth) so the one I wear this days is the one with eddie and the cross guns from AMOLAD.  T-shirts  can be a little expensive at concerts, but I'll probably get one on this tour.....That's if I get my freaking tickets! still waiting for them.  :mad:

Onhell said:
I've heard differing opionions from various sources about to what extent does black really matter as far as "oh you get more hot." Personally I think it is BS, and if you do get more hot, so what? Drink water. People in the Southwestern United states used to run around in THICK trench coats, to this day Beduin nomads wrap themselves and they live in VERY hot areas. SWEAT and WATER are the key to staying cool. However in today's body obssessed (western) world sweat isn't sexy... ugh, I'm rambling, I'll just shut up now.

Actually, black absorbs a great amount of the spectrum of visible light than any other colour. (Technically black is the absence of colour, but that's not really important). The light energy is held in as heat energy. White colours reflect the sun's energy better. With t-shirts, the difference isn't that noticable. It is with more heat-absorbant things though. Why are the rooves of summer homes done in white shingles? Why are solar panels black?

Like I said though, if it's hot enough for this really to be an issue with your clothing, I'd consider staying inside.

IronDuke said:
Like I said though, if it's hot enough for this really to be an issue with your clothing, I'd consider staying inside.

Exactly when it's 40-45 C outside (95-100 or so F) white, black, naked... it's freakin' HOT.

IronDuke said:

Actually, I mentioned the issue of heat and T-shirts without much seriousness.  Since the next IM concert will be indoors, colour of T-shirts won't matter.  The main reason for my not buying T-shirts is the other stuff I said.  Edolecki gave me a good explanation of why T-shirts are a good thing.  It looks like my question has reached its limit, this thread is already winding down.

With t-shirts, the difference isn't that noticable.
Oh yes it is! I feel the sun practically burning on my back when I walk outside in summer with a black t-shirt on (like a Maiden shirt). It's much cooler with white ones.

I've got two Maiden shirts, one is official from the band (SiT modified cover) and another is from eBay and has "Eddie in bandages" artwork on it, but no copyright, so I don't know where it came from. Both shirts aren't very resistant and have little rips already, especially the unofficial one which is made of very light cotton.
Personally I always smile when I see someone on the street wearing a Maiden shirt. Often it's this time when I'm *not* wearing one of mine and I curse myself for not showing the guy/girl that we have a common taste. So yes, t-shirts with band logos and stuff can be cool.

If we're on the topic, why not enlarge the scope a bit and ask who else has got Maiden posters or flags hanging on their walls? I have a BNW flag and it does catch attention ;)

I like the T-shirts, but I only want to buy them when I'm on a concert. It's like a memory or keepsake. Also, when I wear my T-shirt from Gothenburg -06 (Eddie rips up...) and see someone else with a similar shirt, it makes for conversations :) I wouldn't buy a shirt in the record store or on the 'net though, except as a gift for my wife (she wants one of those ladies' style). I never bought the Slavery tour shirt in -85 so maybe I should get one of those, but considering it's a 20-year old shirt, it might not be that easy to come by - new, that is :innocent: :bigsmile:

I always like to wear something that expresses my music taste, this is inevitably almost always a T-shirt, usually a Maiden one as well, mainly because of their fantastic cover-art. As for the matter on the colour of the shirts, it's usually cold in England so it's more of a benfit than a bind =D

For me T shirts are a must. I'm fortunate enough to work in a place where I can wear pretty well what I want.

Metal all the way. I've got 3 Maiden ones. Killers, with Killers written across the back in huge red letters, Eddie rips Up North America and NOTB with 666 on the back.

I can see some folks looking at Eddie when I'm out for lunch on Fridays. Occasionally I wonder what they are thinking? And I love it when other fans strike up conversation.

Motorhead has great shirsts. Being that winter is coming I bought a Celtic Frost hoodie sweat shirt last month in Montreal.

Buying shirts at shows is a great way to remember. Even years later.

Going to make the jounrny to Montreal tommorow. [gruff voice] Arrr Ye Matey. It's a Rockn' Roll [/gruff voice]

MadMax said:
If we're on the topic, why not enlarge the scope a bit and ask who else has got Maiden posters or flags hanging on their walls? I have a BNW flag and it does catch attention ;)
I have Live After Death, Brave New World, Killers, Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Fear Of The Dark hanging in my basement. All of them flags, not posters.

Edit: Google ad weirdness ... why does an ad for "Frederick Douglass" show up with all the Iron Maiden ads?

Trashcan Man said:
Motorhead has great shirsts. Being that winter is coming I bought a Celtic Frost hoodie sweat shirt last month in Montreal.

Buying shirts at shows is a great way to remember. Even years later.

Going to make the jounrny to Montreal tommorow. [gruff voice] Arrr Ye Matey. It's a Rockn' Roll [/gruff voice]

Winter???  As every true Canadian knows winter does not come until after -20 C when your balls are frozen in your underwear.  ;) 

I've been reading all these posts and I must say that no one has yet asked me if I've changed my mind about buying T-shirts  ;).

Genghis Khan said:
Winter???  As every true Canadian knows winter does not come until after -20 C when your balls are frozen in your underwear.  ;) 

I've been reading all these posts and I must say that no one has yet asked me if I've changed my mind about buying T-shirts  ;).

I didn't buy a shirt at Montreal last night. First Maiden show I didn't get a shirt. But I find that the recent designs are pretty lame. Most are just the album cover or variation with the tour dates on the back. Nothing too outstanding or creative. And they charge $45 a T-shirt!! And $40 for a toque!!

The T-shirts designs and quality are not any better that what I could get at a head-shop for $15. If I'm gonna put out $45 at a show, I want a unique and good looking T-shirt that isn't the same as every other IM shirt in the mall.

Mahlon

Back