Fear is the Key

How good is Fear is the Key on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Fear is the Key

I listened to this today and while I do not think it is as horrible as some, there is some nice things going on musically in the song .. but it is certainly in the bottom of the Maiden list.  I give it a 5.

I hated it when I first heard it, but have warmed to it slightly over time. It's just, for the want of a better word, average, therefore 5/10.

Invader said:
I just listened to Fear is the Key, and it was better than I remembered.

That's what I do to. I listen to every track (or album), within a period of maximum seven days before posting and voting.

I actually tend to agree with this. I'm listening to this right now and the music is actually not that bad. Maybe I should've given it a 4.

LooseCannon said:
People thought they could just fuck without responsibility. AIDS killed people. It killed everyone who got it for a very long time. It still does, but it used to do it quick and brutal. It scared people, and acknowledging that fear was very important in the early 1990s. What do you think the last ever song by Queen is about?

Not to mention nobody was actually safe from it. I still vividly remember all those posters hanging at hospitals and clinics basically saying that if people had had a blood transfusion before 1986 (which was at that time, only 6-8 years back), they should go see a doctor immediately. I didn't know what that was about back then, but now I do. People were shit-scared, because it could hit anybody, and HIV-infected people were treated like lepers. Rumours were going around that only by shaking an HIV-infected person's hand or by swimming in the same pool as an infected you could contract the disease. And what was worse, there was no way to cure it, and mortality was 100%. Today, at least we can slow down the virus and we know where the risks are. Back then, people panicked.

This song feels like the band are just going through the motions, and perhaps unsurprisingly as the songwriting is pretty uninspiring. There is something of a nice groove going on through the song which I like though, but just too lacklustre, so I'll give it 4/10.

Hmm, its a pretty forgettable song that doesn't really know where its going. The groove in the lyrics are almost too bluesy and with the words on top of it, it gets a bit cheesy. Overall the song just doesn't work so well. 4/10

Great riff, interesting verses, good lyrics and guitar but no real solo to speak of. 8/10.

Perun said:
Not to mention nobody was actually safe from it. I still vividly remember all those posters hanging at hospitals and clinics basically saying that if people had had a blood transfusion before 1986 (which was at that time, only 6-8 years back), they should go see a doctor immediately. I didn't know what that was about back then, but now I do. People were shit-scared, because it could hit anybody, and HIV-infected people were treated like lepers. Rumours were going around that only by shaking an HIV-infected person's hand or by swimming in the same pool as an infected you could contract the disease. And what was worse, there was no way to cure it, and mortality was 100%. Today, at least we can slow down the virus and we know where the risks are. Back then, people panicked.

I can still remember the posters from the doctor's waiting room from the early 90s: "I am HIV positive. Give me a hug"

A complicated song, it's incomplete for me. Great heavy riff and a great part starting at the beginning of the third minute. But overall, not a good song, one of the weakest songs of the album. 5/10.

One of my favorites on this album. I find it underrated a lot. The guitar part is great, the lyrics are good and the chorus is awesome. 8/10

I must say that I feel like I'm listening to this song for the first time, because I heard this album in its entirety maybe 1-2 times. What can I say? Main riff is fantastic, but verses and chorus (and all vocal lines) are forgettable. 5/10.

Not too bad. Again lyrics are good, the only thing i prefer about early '90s albums compared to '80s ones are lyrical themes. Social commentary appeals me more than swordfighting, hookers and dinosaurs. It gets a bit dull at "lies and lies and lies" part but the main riff is great. 7.

6- I tend to not like Maiden when they go topical.  Seems like every band had an AIDS song in the 90s.  I like the harmony section of this one but hate the vocals. 

Back