Favourite Songwriter

A

Anonymous

We all know there are differences between the songwriters in the band. Those who listen somewhat attentively can tell the differences with ease.
The difficulty with this poll is that many songs (by now almost all) are written by one or more songwriters. Still, I suppose, you can feel the influences of the individuals in these songs.
Following is short presentation of the songwriters:

Steve Harris
We all know 'Arry is the most prolific of all songwriters in the band. He is most cited as the brain behind the big epics such as "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner", "Fear Of The Dark" or "To Tame A Land", but he has written some songs different to those as well, as for example "The Trooper", "Another Life" or "Childhood's End". He is certainly the most diverse of the bands songwriters.

Adrian Smith
His compositions are usually very melodic, with a more accessible touch. Some examples would be "Wasted Years", "Stranger In A Strange Land" or "Paschendale".

Bruce Dickinson
He usually writes songs together with others, and is in those cases responsible for lyrics and vocal melodies, but he has also written some songs on his own that are firm favourites of the fans, most notably "Revelations" and "Powerslave".

Janick Gers
Another very prolific songwriter. He has never written anything on his own, but his compositions are usually rather epic and expertly structured. Some examples would be "Lord Of The Flies", "Como Estais Amigos", "Dream Of Mirrors" and "Dance Of Death".

Blaze Bayley
As far as I know, he has never written anything but the vocals, but he is known for deep lyrics.

Dave Murray
He has written only a few songs, but they are mostly very popular among fans. Some examples are "Still Life" and "Rainmaker".

Paul Di'Anno
Similar to Blaze. He has written very few lyrics.

Clive Burr
Included only for the sake of completeness. He wrote "Gangland" and "Total Eclipse".

Nicko McBrain
Same as Clive Burr. He is notable for "New Frontier".

For me personally, it's something like this:

Steve Harris
Janick Gers
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Bruce Dickinson
Blaze Bayley

Note it's a very tough call here.

H almighty! You ARE bored! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

"...Dave Murray
He has written only a few songs, but they are mostly very popular among fans. Some examples are "Still Life" and "Rainmaker"."

Ahum!:

Don't underestimate Davey's amount of songs. He (co-)wrote only one less than H and 2 less than Janick, who (of course) did one more than H.

You probably have seen my earlier thread which is very related to this subject.
[a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=9292&st=0&p=111889&#entry111889\' target=\'_blank\']http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?show...89&#entry111889[/a]

I'll give you some figures from it.:

songs (co-)written by:

Steve: 110
Bruce: 38
Janick: 26
Adrian: 25
Dave: 24
Blaze: 11
Nicko: 5
Paul: 4
Clive: 2

songs written by:
Steve alone: 56

My vote goes to Mr Harris! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Lots of those songs by Dave are b-sides though. On the 13 studio albums he's only got 16 songwriting credits (18 if you include Sanctuary and Total Eclipse), so he's not exactly prolific.

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Sep 12 2005, 11:23 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Sep 12 2005, 11:23 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Lots of those songs by Dave are b-sides though. On the 13 studio albums he's only got 16 songwriting credits (18 if you include Sanctuary and Total Eclipse), so he's not exactly prolific.
[snapback]118051[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I am talking about the amount of Dave's songs and they are not "few" as Perun stated.

By the way: A b-side doesn't mean it is by definition a weaker song. I would rate e.g. "The Twilight Zone", "Justice of The Piece" or "Virus" any day over "Gangland" or "Fallen Angel".

I would go for Steve, as his songwriting has great variety, and that's what I like most about Maiden. And they're also very expressive.

I voted Steve Harris!

Steve have written the most songs for maiden and is resposible for the sound of maiden. Great epic songs.

Bruce came second, also a great song writer (Solo work is better)

Steve Harris [ 6 ] [66.67%]

Quite nice [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Brucey+Sep 24 2005, 12:30 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Brucey @ Sep 24 2005, 12:30 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]phantom of the opera........
say no more
[snapback]119212[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Although being a musical genius, I'm not sure that the phantom of the opera has a songwriting credit on any Maiden album. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I voted for Steve... Maiden's best songs are composed by him.... Also, without him, Maiden would not be Maiden.....

And a question... everyone really voted for Adrian... or its just another "all days poll in which Adrian Smith won everything by 892374823723 to 3"?

PS
[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Although being a musical genius, I'm not sure that the phantom of the opera has a songwriting credit on any Maiden album.[!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I know certain members of this forum find it funny to rig these threads, but I don't. Believe it or not, the purpose of this forum is to rid the other forums of spam and crap. So by keeping all this to being somewhat serious, we can avoid nonsense elsewhere.

It's not comedic at all.

Boring git! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

There are two silly forums. You forgot "Can I Play with Peter Purvis?"! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

There's one silly forum (Peter Purvis) and one form for prats who make the same threads over and over and over!

[!--QuoteBegin-Panos the clansman+Oct 9 2005, 05:25 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Panos the clansman @ Oct 9 2005, 05:25 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]HOW THE FUCK can only I and one more person have voted for arry???
Are you kin serious???
[snapback]120036[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Don't take it too serious.
I am afraid a moderator had some fun here. :)

Back