Favourite Non metal band/artist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Deep Purple does qualify as my favourite non-metal band. They're real great.

[!--QuoteBegin-Tap_Legion+Nov 17 2005, 07:19 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Tap_Legion @ Nov 17 2005, 07:19 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]we've been dating for some time now....
[snapback]123261[/snapback]​
[/quote]Time is now...1982? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
My favourite non-metal band/artist? The Exploited, The Police and Depeche Mode [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-thegodthatish+Nov 15 2005, 04:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thegodthatish @ Nov 15 2005, 04:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]When you are not listening to Iron Maiden or indeed any other band/artist of the metal/heavy rock genre who do you listen to and why?
[snapback]123123[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Many people here seem to have misread the question.

NOT Metal or Heavy Rock.

And most importantly: WHY?

I like a lot Natalie Imbruglia, don't ask me why, i just feel she's a talented musician, with very good looks... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I also like No-man very much. It's the pop project of Porcupine Trees' Steve Wilson. It's very melodic, and pretty complex, but still accesible. I use it to impress girls with my sensibility. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Nov 17 2005, 04:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Nov 17 2005, 04:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And most importantly: WHY?
[snapback]123296[/snapback]​
[/quote]Alright, alright...
The Exploited for their great attitude, and Wattie Buchan's accent.
The Police for their great attitude and Stewart Copeland's drumming.
Depeche Mode for their great attitude and Dave Gahan's voice.
[!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Nov 18 2005, 06:39 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Nov 18 2005, 06:39 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Loads of stuff.  I have a lot of prog, ambient, drum & bass, jungle, IDM, reggae, pop, noise music, breakcore etc.
[snapback]123428[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And most importantly: WHY?[/quote]

I like a lot of things that could be called metal but is.
Especially emo.
Stuff like Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Alexisonfire...

But my favourite song right now is Francis Dunnery's 'Good Life'.
And I can't put that into a genre, i suppose.

There are too many to count, but off the top of my head:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Oasis
The Doors
The Who
Led Zeppelin
John Butler Trio
White Stripes

[!--quoteo(post=123489:date=Nov 19 2005, 12:52 PM:name=Pineapple Hunter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Nov 19 2005, 12:52 PM) [snapback]123489[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
But my favourite song right now is Francis Dunnery's 'Good Life'.
And I can't put that into a genre, i suppose.
[/quote]
I know a real Francis Dunnery nutter, he has loads of bootlegs from his:
http://balorseye.tripod.com/ [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

I like to listen to a local band called "Matt Mays and El Torpedo"

Why? I like to support local artists, they play great music for their genre, and, like Maiden, their lyrics actually mean something.

Favourite songs:
City of Lake (about their home town, Dartmouth NS)
WHere am I Going (about Nova Scotia in general)

Shane MacGowan and the Popes [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]
Ronnie Drew
Nick Cave
Jethro Tull / Ian Anderson [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]
Genesis
Pink Floyd
Ravi Shankar (these last days, actually...)
and various stuff from various part of the world
e.g. African drum, north african music, Tibetan music, south American (cuba ...) music

[!--quoteo(post=123489:date=Nov 19 2005, 12:52 PM:name=Pineapple Hunter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Nov 19 2005, 12:52 PM) [snapback]123489[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I like a lot of things that could be called metal but is.
Especially emo.
Stuff like Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Alexisonfire...
[/quote]

I can't stand the emo category in general, but I won't dismiss individual band that are classified as "emo."

My Chemical Romance, AFI, and Jimmy Eat World are all great bands, and all have some emo elements to them. Though I hate the "culture" surrounding MCR and AFI. And I hate their lead singers, specially Davey Havok.

JEW is great, though.

My favorite band of all time is They Might Be Giants. They're really screwed up in the head, but their music is catchy as hell and they can't be accused of being sellouts. If you've ever heard "Particle Man," "Experimental Film," (there's a pretty hilarious animated music video of it here), or "I Palindrome I," you'll get a good idea of their style. In their early days, they used a drum machine and a MIDI keyboard. Cheesy but it worked, and they were never accused of being unoriginal.

My favorite punk band as of now is Flogging Molly. They combine the melody of Irish Folk with the energy of Punk Rock, and honestly the result is fantastic. I've only heard a couple FM songs I didn't like. Sometimes their music even sounds like country, which I'm also fond of, but don't let that turn you off--mostly it's all celtic.

I'm also fond of Yellowcard, something I never thought I'd like. The violin provides a nice backup to all of their songs, and I'm simply not interested in their new album because the violin takes a back seat to standard punk instruments--in short, they're trying to copy Green Day now. But damn, that Ocean Avenue was a good album.

I could go into the Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, etc. but everyone likes them.

Place Vendome (AOR)
I like Michael Kiske's voice, the guitar work is amazing...not much more can be said. Favorite song: Too Late

Dream Theater (Progressive)
When I first heard them, I hated them. Ive taken a liking to them now though. Great band. Favorite song: Another Day

And those are my top two

My favorite non-metal band is Dream Theater. Scenes from a Memory has become one of my favorite albums, although I did not like it very much at first.

There are many great bands. Ones that come to mind are Mark Knophler, Dire Straits, Cream, and April Wine.

I listen to a lot of instrumental jazz and blues. Stevie Ray Vaughan and (the very unknown) Brazilian jazz guitarist Rodrigo Alvesare two of many favourites. I really like the mood of the music, the diversity and complexity.

Most of the stuff I listen to is Classic Rock (I'm not really fan of metal apart from Sabbath and Maiden), so my favourite bands are The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd - stuff like that.

I also really like Cypress Hill, Dr. Dre and various shit like that.

[!--quoteo(post=131023:date=Mar 7 2006, 01:04 AM:name=Mario88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Mario88 @ Mar 7 2006, 01:04 AM) [snapback]131023[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
My favorite non-metal band is Dream Theater. Scenes from a Memory has become one of my favorite albums, although I did not like it very much at first.
[/quote]

Since when is Dream Theater "non-metal"? They sure sound like metal to me.

In my case, I guess you can just look at my top-10 artists overall to get a sense of what I listen to. Other than metal and classical, I also listen to alot of jazz, blues, as well as "world" music -- especially Brazilian and Turkish. Artistwise: Miles Davis and John Coltrane; Clapton, SRV and the Allman Bros.; Chico Buarque, Marisa Monte and Maria Rita; Fikret Kizilok, Sertab and Erkan O?ur.

(I've only been on LastFm for a couple of weeks now, so most of these artists haven't shown up yet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back