Favourite Non metal band/artist

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

When you are not listening to Iron Maiden or indeed any other band/artist of the metal/heavy rock genre who do you listen to and why?

I like U2. I think that like MAiden they have been around a long time, had a period of decline, and are now one of the biggest bands in the world. They have always had their beliefs, be it religion, politics or music and have stuck by those beliefs.

The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree albums were for me the pinnacle of their career and the rattle and hum video capturing their Joshua Tree tour was awesome. I liked the collaboration with BB King on "When Love Came to Town".

Song highlights are Pride, Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day and With or Without You.

[!--QuoteBegin-thegodthatish+Nov 15 2005, 02:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thegodthatish @ Nov 15 2005, 02:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]They (U2) have always had their beliefs, be it religion, politics or music and have stuck by those beliefs.
[snapback]123123[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Does anybody else look at U2 and think they are overplaying the politics card. That marketing gimmick to appeal to rebellious teenagers and mid-life-crisis-social-concious-love-earth people? I just see their political status as very plasticy and GreenDay-ish.

Anyway, back to the topic. It is my musical shame to admit that I like Johnny Cash. He is a true great, not just as a country singer but a musical icon. His subtle song writing and intelligent drole manner make for an interesting listen.

Apart from Mr Cash, I also like The Prodigy and Def Leppard. A good musician is a good musician, no matter what genre.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Nov 15 2005, 04:45 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Nov 15 2005, 04:45 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Does anybody else look at U2 and think they are overplaying the politics card.  That marketing gimmick to appeal to rebellious teenagers and mid-life-crisis-social-concious-love-earth people?  I just see their political status as very plasticy and GreenDay-ish.
[snapback]123134[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Don't you mean psuedo-rebellious teenagers? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Uh-oh! It's the going off topic thign again! [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Actually, I like a bit of Cream and Pink Floyd here and there.

Even though most of the music I listen to is indeed classified in the "metal" genres, I do not take this as a deciding factor in choosing my music. To me, genre distinction in music is about as pointless as time ages in history: You can't say where they start, you can't say where they end and you can't really point out any main characteristics that are exclusive to them. You can only say when something really belongs to that classification, but the borderlines are probably thicker than the genres themselves. Thus, I see no conflict of Maiden being placed between Jimi Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane in my shelf.

My scientistic views aside, I do know what the original question asked for, and I do know how to answer it. In the margins of the thread, my favourites would probably be Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Simon&Garfunkel, The Doors and many, many more.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Nov 15 2005, 08:24 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Nov 15 2005, 08:24 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maiden being placed between Jimi Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane in my shelf
[snapback]123141[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Your alphabetical order is quite surprising! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I have Iron Maiden in between INXS and J.B.O... [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I've got my Maiden albums in between my Bruce Dickinson and Zappa albums [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I listen to lots of different music, but worth mentioning in my non-metal scope are particularly Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Tangerine Dream, Jethro Tull and a couple of others. Truth to be told when adding it up I probably listen to more non-metal stuff than metal.

I used to listen to A LOT of INXS but lately I only listen to "listen like thives" and "X", the rest do sound pretty dated.. not to mention I lost my elegalntly wasted tape. Pink Floyd, Bella Fleck and a lot of Mexican/Spanish pop and rock.

Right now I'm listening to techno versions of Final Fantasy music. Why listen to metal all the time?

Yeah, exactly. I'm listening to Whitesnake right now [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-metalboyken+Nov 15 2005, 09:16 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(metalboyken @ Nov 15 2005, 09:16 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]My favourite non metal bands are thin lizzy,pixies and bon jovi.
[snapback]123153[/snapback]​
[/quote]
You forgot Metallica! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Having recently been on the receiving end of Maverick sarcasm, I think Metalboyken you should be aware that Mav knows Metallica are a metal band (or at least they used to be).

Right now i listen to a lot of Rush, some Zappa and the Food for Thought tribute album [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I've got a couple of Jethro Tull's albums. I also like what Pen Of Chaos is doing(if you don't understand French, don't even bother) and I've got some video game songs(Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc...), both metal and classical.

[a href=\'http://www.vgmix.com\' target=\'_blank\']VG mix[/a] is a great site to find those songs and if you really want some great remix(es?), check out the Dwelling of Duels(DoD).

Non-Metal-Music I listen to would be:

U2, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, Depeche Mode (esp the 90ties Albums), Leonard Cohen (more because of the lyrics than his musical skills), Tori Amos...

...Quite different isn't it?

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Nov 15 2005, 06:49 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Nov 15 2005, 06:49 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I've got my Maiden albums in between my Bruce Dickinson and Zappa albums  [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123144[/snapback]​
[/quote]
A B C E F G, H D I Z K
Sorry, it had to be done [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My favourite non-metal bands are Thrice, Thursday, Funeral for a Friend, Brand New, AC/DC, Alexisonfire, Alkaline Trio, Joe Satriani (a solo guitarist) and (i don't care what you all think of this band) Taking Back Sunday.

Emo isn't always too bad just as long as it's not whiny, and has a good deal of emotion put into it. I really don't see the point in genre-snobbing.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Nov 15 2005, 10:45 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Nov 15 2005, 10:45 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Does anybody else look at U2 and think they are overplaying the politics card.  That marketing gimmick to appeal to rebellious teenagers and mid-life-crisis-social-concious-love-earth people?  I just see their political status as very plasticy and GreenDay-ish.
[snapback]123134[/snapback]​
[/quote]
U2 has been extremely vocal about many political causes for over 20 years now. Bands that are doing it as a gimmick don't stick with it for that long. U2 is one of the very few bands who are entirely geniune about their politics.

Tull , Rush , Zappa .....depends on what mood I'm in really....

Kate Bush is one of my all time faves...we've been dating for some time now....

[!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[img src=\'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/Tap_Legion/KATEME_bday.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back