Favorite bands

The following are my favorites at the moment. This list has been evolving a lot lately though.

— Iron Maiden
— Nightwish
— Jim Steinman
— Iced Earth
— Ahab
— ABBA
— Bruce Dickinson
— Sabaton
— Buckethead
— Rammstein
— Poe

List not ranked. Too hard. Diesel is spent. Whew.

I would probably echo the same, though at this point in life I’d rank Maiden and Dio (his entire metal discography, not just the solo band) up there. Top 10 would probably be, in no particular order:

Symphony X
Opeth
Iron Maiden
Dio (all Dio-fronted groups)
Clutch
Dream Theater
Metallica
Rush
Sabaton
Armored Saint, Kamelot, or Nightwish (depending on my mood)
No Faith No More? :p

Well, I've decided to revamp my list since it's been a while. Instead of just "bands" I'm doing musical artists as a whole. I've set a few rules in place for myself to narrow things down:

• I have to have heard all of the artists' studio albums at least.
• I have to like the majority of their discography.
• They have to be artists I return to on a pretty regular basis.

So without further ado, here are the nine artists that I managed to whittle it down to:

1. Iron Maiden
Traditional heavy metal • 1975-present
I mean, kind of a given, right? Love the scope to every song, their knack for melodies, the powerful soaring vocals. Every album has something for me (even Killers, on a good day), and every incarnation of the lineup made some fantastic music. Stalwarts of my musical experience.

2. Nightwish
Symphonic metal • 1996-present
Similar to Maiden, I love the scope of a Nightwish song/album. Not a bad album in their career. Started off as one of the fieriest power metal bands ever, evolved into a larger-than-life orchestra of bombast. All three eras have made some great music together and I've yet to be disappointed by them. Wish Marko didn't leave though.

3. Bruce Dickinson
Hard rock, heavy metal • 1989-present
If I were to get really anal, my favorite act of all time would probably be the 1997-1999 incarnation of the Bruce Dickinson band (Dickinson/Z/Smith/Casillas/Ingraham). The two albums they made together are utterly phenomenal. Beyond this, though, Bruce's solo career has always been pretty strong, and I like every album to different degrees. The non-AOB/TCW albums all have their weaknesses but there are so many killer songs that I tend to forgive the lesser moments. Some great hidden gems beyond the albums too.

4. Tool
Alternative metal, progressive rock • 1990-present
Once I got into Tool, there was no real turning back. Their music is the perfect accompaniment to a long drive, with the guitar rolling over you like the road itself. Seeing them live was an amazing experience as well.

5. The Beatles
Rock 'n' roll, pop • 1960-1970
The band that got me into music. I'd forgotten how great they were until late last year when I completely fell back in love with their music. Not only were they pioneers, but their music still holds up massively today. History's greatest band for a reason.

6. Jim Steinman (et al.)
Wagnerian rock • 1968-2021
The biggest oddity in my list. I like to view Steinman's work as one group, whether it's with Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Pandora's Box, or even his one solo album. His over-the-top songwriting style, completely unlike any of his contemporaries, is completely embedded in popular music and yet has never been replicated. His songs were big, massive, completely bonkers, and so passionately driven. One of a kind for sure.

7. ABBA
Europop, disco • 1972-1982, 2016-2022
Masters of the '70s pop scene. Almost every song of theirs is an earworm with a hook you will not get out of your head. Each member's voice was an essential part of the mix. They don't often get praised for this, but some great lyrics throughout their discography as well.

8. Gordon Lightfoot
Folk • 1958-2023
Canada's greatest icon. When I'm in the mood for something light and folky, I'm almost always driven to put on a Lightfoot album. His smooth voice and picturesque songs never fail to bring me some serenity. His work up to 1976's Summertime Dream contains his best material, but there's some great stuff even after that. A legend.

9. Ahab
Funeral/epic doom metal • 2004-present
The band that got me into funeral doom. I usually come back to The Call of the Wretched Sea and The Boats of the Glen Carrig more than the other records, but I've spun them a lot too and they're also one of those bands I obsess over when I get my moods. For that alone they're a favorite.

So that's albums and artists out of the way. I guess next I need to do songs? Oh lord. Gimme a year.

Nice write-ups Diesel, I expect nothing less from the Listmaster himself.

These are my favorite artists:

Motörhead
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Razor
Municipal Waste
Lixx (Utah)
Slayer
Metallica
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
KISS