Favorite bands

In no particular order, except the first two:

1) Iron Maiden (Somewhere in Time)
2) Judas Priest (Painkiller)

Helloween (Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1; The Time of the Oath)
Death (The Sound of Perseverance)
Immortal (At the Heart of Winter)
Amon Amarth (Once Sent from the Golden Hall)
Satyricon (Nemesis Divina)
Diabolical Masquerade (Nightwork)
Megadeth (Rust in Peace)
Rush (Moving Pictures)
Sodom (not sure)
Anorexia Nervosa (Drudenhaus)
Ramones (Rocket to Russia)
Misfits (12 Hits from Hell (cancelled album but best track listing))
Gorgoroth (not sure)
Behemoth (not sure)
Gojira (The Way of All Flesh)
Cradle of Filth (Dusk and Her Embrace)
Dimmu Borgir (For All Tid)

Some great picks! I especially like your Helloween choices, although I would also consider Better Than Raw and Walls of Jericho and I would have picked the second or third Dimmu album instead of the debut.

I have also good memories of Nemesis Divina!

"Open the gate to immortality"
:edmetal:

About Dimmu: I'm rediscovering them and wasn't completely sure about the choice I made, I'm going to listen to Stormblast and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant in the near future.

Nemesis Divina is a Black Metal staple.

As for Helloween, I don't like Better than Raw very much and Walls of Jericho is not far but still inferior to some classics.

Last edited:
I don't find Better Than Raw that different from The Time of the Oath. It has better production, that's for sure. An amazing opening track and also a long epic song.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you count Revelations (that epic track I talked about) in the 2nd half since it's the middle track (6 out of 11) but for the rest I think there are two strong tracks left on that half:

I find "I Can" a very catchy song and "A Handful of Pain" is not fast but it's very powerful, both in emotion and atmosphere but especially in melodies and solos. Hope you give that last song another try!

Time of the Oath's weaker tracks imo are "Forever and One", "Anything My Mama Don't Like", "Kings Will Be Kings" and "If I Knew".

It could be the fact that the strong songs on Time of the Oath are truly great. The guitar harmonies and vocal melodies of Steel Tormentor, Before the War, Wake up the Mountain, Power and We Burn belong to the god tier of Power Metal.

A Handful of Pain is powerful but for me, Helloween is a band that sounds best when they're playing fast, brings out what they're capable of. The backing vocals also seem to annoy me. Solos are great though!

Foro, I believe you have, but just in case, have you seen High Live? Awesome performance of these songs and many others.

Yes I have. I have it on VHS. I especially dig the live versions of Steel Tormentor, Time of the Oath, Where the Grain Grows and Sole Survivor.

@Night Prowler: I am not sure which like best. These are quite close to each other. Perhaps still Oath. I could make a great compilation album out of these two albums alone, full of songs which individually would beat most recent stuff (for me at least). I have good memories of them opening for Maiden during the Virtual XI tour, where they promoted Better Than Raw (with some of the best tracks namely Push and Revelations). And in 1996 I saw them doing a show for the Time of the Oath tour. That title track was amazing. :notworthy: And the opening band was a certain Mr. Dickinson with his Skunkworks. Quite intruiging night. A couple of years later when Helloween did their Dark Ride tour, a certain Mr. Bayley opened for them, with Blaze.

Yes. That was the last time although many will disagree with me because one year later they had Megadeth (at least in Europe).

Halford, Queensryche (twice), Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theatre, post- reunion. That's not too bad at all.
I'm not real certain on the '80s shows, but I know one of them was Twisted Sister.
Dee Snider crawled out on a chain-link fence in front of the speakers and told us he was an SMF.

The absolute leading 2:

1. Iron Maiden
2. Judas Priest

Candidates for the third place:

3. Midnight Oil / Bad Religion / Black Sabbath / Bruce Dickinson

This is really difficult because I love quite a lot of bands which have some amazing albums but also less interesting albums. Maiden and Priest had a few weaker ones, but the strong ones make up for it, so they easily stand above the other bands. I also love Rush and Helloween but relatively seen, I think The Oils, BR, Bruce and Sabbath had more consistent discographies. Rush and Helloween both had at least 5 lesser albums... and I am tempted to mention many more bands (e.g. 90s Iced Earth is excellent in my book)!
If there's one band I've never seen and still wish to see, it is Midnight Oil. Unfortunately, they broke up in 2002, so I thought this was not possible anymore.
Last summer, there was this news and I just found out about it (completely missed it):
http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...night-oil-reunion-its-not-out-of-the-question
http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2014/06/03/midnight-oil-excited-about-reunion-tour-possibility/
http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/midnight-oil-excited-and-terrified-over-possible-reunion-tour/

And today this on their Twitter:
https://twitter.com/_TheOils/status/550198277019164672/photo/1

Now let's hope they'll do Europe!

Currently:

1. Iron Maiden (Somewhere in Time)
2. Overkill (The Years of Decay)
3. Blue Öyster Cult (Imaginos)
4. Motörhead (1916)
5. Tankard (The Morning After)

D. R. I. (Dealing With It!)
Sodom (Agent Orange)
Manilla Road (Crystal Logic/Spiral Castle)
Gamma Ray (Land of the Free)
Sleep (Dopesmoker)

Iron Maiden
Stryper
The 77s
Dream Theater
Kansas
Journey
The Choir
Queen
Asia
Deliverance