Fates Warning + Arch / Matheos

I've never listened to FW until recently when I got a copy of Darkness In A Different Light. I find it very generic. Perhaps I need to listen to it more. But right now, FW is just not exciting to me.

I've never listened to FW until recently when I got a copy of Darkness In A Different Light. I find it very generic. Perhaps I need to listen to it more. But right now, FW is just not exciting to me.
well, there are two distinct versions of FW. the one with Jon Arch as the vocalist + "No Exit" with the Ray Alder, which is more riff orientated, a more proggy one in the middle, and the darker one started with A Pleasent Shade of Gray.

The Spectre Within and No Exit are my favorite albums.

I don't know about that. I can see why Jon's voice is not everybody's cup of tea, but the guy's voice is crazy and there isn't anybody else quite like him.

btw, anybody heard the "new" Arch/Matheos album?

New video for Seven Stars -

Simple, kinda boring, but they certainly make the most of what appears to be a zero budget video. Blaze could learn a thing or two from the cinematography.

My second favorite band after Maiden. I love all the eras, but overall prefer original vocalist John Arch. His style is just incredible, but it can take a while to get used to, since he often doesn't follow the rhythm exactly. Alder is great too, but in a different way. Jim Matheos is the man though, he simply doesn't know how to write bad music. He's also a great producer. Listen to the Arch/Matheos album and the latest FW, that is how a progressive/metal album should be produced. Excellent guitar tone and all the instruments are seamlessly mixed together and layered.

Epitaph took me a few listens to get into, but its become one of my faovrite songs by any band.

my only complaint with the two most recent albums is the sound of the drums - Bobby Jarzombek is a fantastic drummer, but there's something missing in the drum sound. The guitars sound great though.

I might catch this depending on ticket price, but I'm not a Queensryche fan so it's a tough sell. Hard to pass up Joey Vera at any show, though.

Always wanted to see Fates Warning (seen Queensryche live with Geoff & Todd). Hopefully will get to see this tour

FINALLY saw FW live for the first time last night on San Antonio! Ray is from San Antonio and it showed because the audience was VERY into the material. Ray said "Hola" to his mom in the audience! God the band sounded great but Ray is who blew me away. Makes me regret all the times I did not see them through the years. Now my next goal is to see them headline...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fates-warning/2019/the-aztec-theatre-san-antonio-tx-7b9256a4.html

That’s a really good setlist! Glad you enjoyed it. I’d like to see them headline again, especially if it’s a Ray/Joey show.

Been listening to them lately and I deduced that John Arch is an incredible vocalist. I only got the first 3 albums because I heard they went in a more boring direction after he left.

The new Arch/Matheos album is out and damn is it a stunner! It's a lot to take in too, but so far my favorite tracks are probably Pitch Black Prism and Kindred Spirits.

New LP announced for November!
Song titles Scars & Liar aren't very original but still looking forward to their longest lp ever (72:22 long!)

enjoying the punchy quality of the drums on the first single "Scars" (sounds a bit too "in the pocket" to be a Jarzombek drum performance?), but the song hasn't connected too deeply with me yet (currently on listen #2)

Back