Extreme Metal

What type of metal are you most inclined to like (choose two)?

• Viking Metal

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Death Metal

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Black Metal

• Doom Metal

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Folk Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gothic Metal

• Grindcore

• Groove Metal

• Industrial Metal

• Metalcore

• Sludge Metal

• Stoner Metal

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Thrash Metal

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
Been listening to the new album by Melechesh - The Epigenesis - and it's one of the best things I've heard all year. Really good black/death metal with a melodic, folky middle-eastern tinge. Reminds me a bit of Orphaned Land circa Mabool.

What I really want to hear though is the latest Agalloch album - Marrow of the Spirit. One of the better and more consistent metal bands around and I've heard nothing but great things about their new album.
BTW... I was elated to see some talk about stoner metal a few posts above since it's one of my favorite genres of music. I must agree that Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun one of the best stoner metal albums around along with another Kyuss classic Welcome to Sky Valley. A lesser-known album but just as good is 2003's Akuma no Uta by Boris, a japanese band. It's a great mixture of stoner with sludge, which is another of my favorites, so I love the sound of that album.
Jeffmetal said:
No, it's not.

LOL, I didn't see this earlier so I'm just replying to it now.

Genres are immensely helpful in discovering new music, especially when you knows of sites that have reliable classification systems for one's musical sensibilities. I think it's just common sense to think that when you stumble upon an album you really like, it's probable that you would also like other albums by that same artist, albums in the same genre.

And it's essential for discovering music that there are subgenres (as crazy as some of them may sound) such as "funeral doom metal" and "slowcore/sadcore" and "cowpunk" and "powerviolence" and "twee" and "grindcore" - because if music were classified simply as "rock" or "metal" or "punk" - the styles within those genres would be so diverse that there would be almost no point to use them for looking for similar-sounding music.

valacirca said:
Been listening to the new album by Melechesh - The Epigenesis - and it's one of the best things I've heard all year. Really good black/death metal with a melodic, folky middle-eastern tinge. Reminds me a bit of Orphaned Land circa Mabool.

What I really want to hear though is the latest Agalloch album - Marrow of the Spirit. One of the better and more consistent metal bands around and I've heard nothing but great things about their new album.
BTW... I was elated to see some talk about stoner metal a few posts above since it's one of my favorite genres of music. I must agree that Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun one of the best stoner metal albums around along with another Kyuss classic Welcome to Sky Valley. A lesser-known album but just as good is 2003's Akuma no Uta by Boris, a japanese band. It's a great mixture of stoner with sludge, which is another of my favorites, so I love the sound of that album.
LOL, I didn't see this earlier so I'm just replying to it now.

Genres are immensely helpful in discovering new music, especially when you knows of sites that have reliable classification systems for one's musical sensibilities. I think it's just common sense to think that when you stumble upon an album you really like, it's probable that you would also like other albums by that same artist, albums in the same genre.

And it's essential for discovering music that there are subgenres (as crazy as some of them may sound) such as "funeral doom metal" and "slowcore/sadcore" and "cowpunk" and "powerviolence" and "twee" - because if music were classified simply as "rock" or "metal" or "punk" - the styles within those genres would be so diverse that there would be almost no point to use them for looking for similar-sounding music.

I need to check those albums out. Now I'm really interested in stoner metal...

^ If you're really looking to immerse yourself in stoner metal, take note of the difference between stoner rock as well :) Here are the usual suspects:

Stoner Metal = Electric Wizard (Dopethrone), Down (NOLA), Sleep (Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker), Boris (Akuma no Uta), Cathedral (The Ethereal Mirror)
Stoner Rock = Kyuss (Welcome to Sky Valley, Blues for the Red Sun), Queens of the Stone Age (Songs for the Deaf, Rated R), Clutch (Blast Tyrant)

Onhell said:
I recommend you look into CATHEDRAL, really good "stoner" metal.

:ok: They're a great band, but they blur that line that separates doom and stoner. Though I love doom, stoner and Cathedral all, so it doesn't really matter. Just not the best example of stoner metal for the most part :p This reminds me that I still have to listen to their latest album The Guessing Game...

valacirca said:
^ If you're really looking to immerse yourself in stoner metal, take note of the difference between stoner rock as well :) Here are the usual suspects:

Stoner Metal = Electric Wizard (Dopethrone), Down (NOLA), Sleep (Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker), Boris (Akuma no Uta), Cathedral (The Ethereal Mirror)
Stoner Rock = Kyuss (Welcome to Sky Valley, Blues for the Red Sun), Queens of the Stone Age (Songs for the Deaf, Rated R), Clutch (Blast Tyrant)

I'm just listening to Welcome To Sky Valley... and I'm speechless.  :shred:

Onhell said:
Will do, I'll listen again to the albums I got to pick out some good ones.

OK, take your time. :ok:

Thanks Jeff, have a praise!

Now I need some time to listen to each song, and then I'll share my opinion.

Equilibrium - Pretty much like Sabbath's debut. But vocals are a bit annoying, It would fit better as an instrumental: 3/5.

Soul Sacrifice - Lyrics are fucking awesome here, so are the riffs, but it just doesn't have the element: 4.5/5.

No prob, guys. Whenever I can give a hand on something I'm into digging, I'll do it.

Regarding Lee's voice, it is really an acquired taste, but I recommend (as I do with 90% of the bands I like) to listen to it reading the lyrics. Lee Dorrian is a great lyricist and he conveys a lot of emotions and carachter into his singing and that save a lot of his lack of talent as a trained singer. Even though Ozzy wasn't trained, his sense of melody is a gift he was born with and plus the endless dose of emotion Ozzy always put into his singing.

I have seen Cathedral in 1996, opening for My Dying Bride. Great combo.

Thinking back about that Cathedral performance I particularly remember the awesome roaring guitar, very influenced by Iommi.

Garry 'Gaz' Jennings an Iommi pupil, but more than a mere copycat; he and Cathedral carry the torch of the spirit of the sound Sabbath created. He's a riffmaster on his own. So many amazing riffs and solos: Ride, Equilibrium (the most Sabbathical song not done by Sabbath), The Unnatural World, Cyclops Revolution, Stained Glass Horizon (this one very Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, tough), Hopkins, Utopian Blaster, Carnival Bizarre, Inertia's Cave, Electric Grave, Heavy Load, Requiem For The Sun, Alchemist Of Sorrows.

I still hope they come down here, someday. They came, in 1996, to South America, but not to Brasil 'Varonil'.

I know it. Candlemass has only one problem for me - not having Rob Lowe as their singer before. Plus, they're much more of a Sabbath copycat than Cathedral.

Back