European Politics

In my view, it was as little in doubt as that Britain will stay in the EU and Clinton will become president of the US.

I never sensed that personally. I thought both Brexit and US Presidency would end in very close call, but not this one.

It seemed very obvious to me that anti-Le Pen would voters would flock to Macron in the 2nd round just to avoid Le Pen getting in.

It seemed very obvious to me that anti-Le Pen would voters would flock to Macron in the 2nd round just to avoid Le Pen getting in.

It wasn't that obvious, however. Many observers pointed out that the amount of abstainers would be impossible to know.

It wasn't that obvious, however. Many observers pointed out that the amount of abstainers would be impossible to know.

With how middle ground Macron was during his campaign, I'd be shocked if so many people who supported other candidates sat the election out that it tilted the result in Le Pen's favor.

Macron didn't have the darkness surrounding a candidate like Hillary Clinton, either.

I didn't follow the French election very closely, but it seemed like a completely different situation from the US election. I'm pretty sure all US polls had Trump within the margin of error. He was only ever behind a few percentage points, where Macron was always up by an impossible margin. Also, the US polls focused on popular vote, which Clinton did win.

I didn't really notice polls in the run-up to the French presidential election, but Le Pen was getting the lion's share of the coverage (outside of France at least), and it did look like populism was on the march.

Not exactly politics, but still Europe related (economy):

Last year Schiphol Airport passed Istanbul and Frankfurt on the list of biggest European airports (big as in busy: amount of passengers).
2016:
01 United Kingdom - Heathrow Airport - London
02 France - Charles de Gaulle Airport - Paris
03 Netherlands - Amsterdam Airport Schiphol - Amsterdam +2
04 Germany - Frankfurt Airport - Frankfurt
05 Turkey - Istanbul Atatürk Airport - Istanbul -2
06 Spain - Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport - Madrid
07 Spain - Barcelona El Prat Airport - Barcelona +3
08 United Kingdom - London-Gatwick Airport - London +1
09 Germany - Munich Airport - Munich -2
10 Italy - Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport - Rome -2

In the first quarter of this year, Schiphol's growth was big again (too big according to some; the airport has troubles with processing the people, resulting in problems like long queues, people missing flights etc.). The question is if the growth will be big enough to pass Paris. If so, only Heathrow will be bigger.

This is the problem. In France, in Germany, in the UK, in the US... Trump only got voted because the media gave him all the attention. He was nothing, an outsider, a joke when he entered the race.
This is at least partly why the press (specifically CNN) has been so hard on him IMO. Justified or not, it seems obvious that they're trying to make up for giving him all that free publicity during the primaries.

Last year Schiphol Airport passed Istanbul and Frankfurt on the list of biggest European airports (big as in busy: amount of passengers).
2016:

In the first quarter of this year, Schiphol's growth was big again (too big according to some; the airport has troubles with processing the people, resulting in problems like long queues, people missing flights etc.). The question is if the growth will be big enough to pass Paris. If so, only Heathrow will be bigger.

crowd-people-split-airport-queue-croatia-july-passengers-departure-hall-photo-taken-july-th-46234381.jpg

:D

This is at least partly why the press (specifically CNN) has been so hard on him IMO. Justified or not, it seems obvious that they're trying to make up for giving him all that free publicity during the primaries.
It was difficult to avoid doing, really. Even if you're intending to expose flaws or cover something because it's out of the ordinary, it was still free publicity, if you ignore him, it's a plot by the MSM. He gains from it either way. The press can never quite decide how to handle extreme right parties either. If you give them coverage, you potentially normalise what they're doing and spread their ideas. If you ignore them, you feed their theory of the establishment being against the people.

2016:

Does Schiphol have much room to expand? I got the impression it was in quite a densely developed area.

Meanwhile, Beauvais-Tille holds the record for the biggest number of Maiden fans watching Bruce get pulled by security and searched.

It was difficult to avoid doing, really. Even if you're intending to expose flaws or cover something because it's out of the ordinary, it was still free publicity, if you ignore him, it's a plot by the MSM. He gains from it either way. The press can never quite decide how to handle extreme right parties either. If you give them coverage, you potentially normalise what they're doing and spread their ideas. If you ignore them, you feed their theory of the establishment being against the people.
I think there could've been some middle ground. He was one of many Republican candidates and he didn't say much during the actual primary debates. But the little he did say got all the media coverage.

Any Europeans want to tell this American what a hung parliament or even labour victory would mean for Brexit?

Brexit is still happening. That's for sure. The article was triggered.

SNP getting spanked in the exit polls as well.

Back