European Politics

Come to think of it, other than a passport, I don't have a whole lot of documents. No official ID, only an NHS card and a driving licence.

I have my passport, driver's license, birth certificate, MOH ID, and Social Insurance Number.

Never really liked that whole thing about the borders, it's gonna blow up in everyone's faces when zombie apocalypse happens :p

Though Russia denies official involvement in Ukraine’s civil war, a Russian news site briefly reported Russia’s huge military casualties in Ukraine Tuesday.

Buried in a mundane report on army salaries, Delovaya Zhizn (Business Life) noted that family compensation went to the families of 2,000 soldiers killed “taking part in military action in Ukraine.” The information was briefly online before Russian censors detected the fact and took it offline — but not before a Ukraine-based news site detected the admission and cached it online.

That some 2,000 Russian service members have died, all fighting a war that the Kremlin does not acknowledge exists, is a staggering admission of President Vladimir Putin’s commitment to the conflict in eastern Ukraine. The Ukrainian war has lasted for exactly 18 months — by comparison, the U.S.’ nearly 14-year involvement in Afghanistan has claimed the lives of 2,154 American soldiers.

That news is one week old. Somebody on reddit found that site in question, claiming to be a independent news agency, was opened in late 2014 and was ran on a stock Wordpress theme.
Not that Russians wouldn't censor the truth, just in this case it's bull****.

2K is too high, anyway. If Russia deployed anybody it would be Specnaz units, not regular conscripts. Russia does special ops in Donbass area, they don't provide their men for cannon fodder. Plenty of nutcase domestic residents for that. And idiots from "brotherly orthodox" states.

So, with the Labour elections wrapping up next Thursday and the results being announced on the following Saturday, it really seems like a one horse race, and I for one could not be more glad. Corbyn as the opposition leader would be perfect to oppose the Tories. For the first time since 2010, I would be encouraged to put my support behind a party instead of having to resort to tactical voting.

Charming and clever chap, the prime minister of Hungary:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ngary-pm-victor-orban-europe-response-madness

So apparently Muslim refugees are a threat to the Christian identity of Europe. Well, the last time I checked, that book called the New Testament said something about caring for the poor and persecuted, but it did not say anything about attacking them physically. Wonder if those hooligans are representing "Europe's Christian identity" to Mr. Orbán.

Twat.

Reactions: RTC
It won't be in our lifetime, but soon the whole concept of religion will be eradicated, and I could not for the life of me be more happy with that.

Don't take that as an anti-religion statement, because I'm for the core values and morals of what a belief can bring. It's just that the by-products have caused so much pointless death and suffering that it's really not worth glorifying huge cults as an essential part of humanity.

Don't take what I wrote as an invite to debate about religion. I just wanted to illustrate what a fucking hypocrite Orbán is. On one hand claiming that he is doing what is necessary to protect "Europe's Christian identity" and on the other hand treating the refugees like rubbish.

That photo of the dead boy on the Turkish beach gave me a sudden, huge lump in my throat. *sigh* :(The risks these people are taking say so much about the conditions they are trying to get away from... I really hope for more common understanding in the EU.

It won't be in our lifetime, but soon the whole concept of religion will be eradicated, and I could not for the life of me be more happy with that.

I doubt that. We are witnessing a surge of religion and religious fanaticism everywhere right now.

That photo of the dead boy on the Turkish beach gave me a sudden, huge lump in my throat. *sigh* :(The risks these people are taking say so much about the conditions they are trying to get away from... I really hope for more common understanding in the EU.
As far as I read (or heard) is that they were living for 2 years in Turkey already and wanted to move to Canada, but since they didn't get the papers, they tried to flee their way to Europe because the Father needed some new teeth...( sister said that on Canadian TV, father gave them the idea )

That's fucked up, he basically killed his whole family because he wanted new teeth..

I doubt that. We are witnessing a surge of religion and religious fanaticism everywhere right now.

Yes, but compare that to around a millennium ago during the Crusades, when countries were actively promoting killing people of varying religions, and we've come a long way. The concept has the right intentions, but has caused more harm than good to me.

That's oversimplifying the Crusade era. The actual amount of persecution of people of other faiths, official or not, was very small. There were also always far more Muslims living in the Crusader states than Christians. In many ways and for long periods, Christianity and Islam actually coexisted peacefully in the Crusader states, and the amount of religious fanatics was perhaps even lower in that area than it is today. There was much more hatred within Christian and Muslim sects.
I'm not defending the Crusades, nor am I saying that the Crusader states were paradises, but things were much different from what you're suggesting.

Yes, but compare that to around a millennium ago during the Crusades, when countries were actively promoting killing people of varying religions, and we've come a long way.
Ehhhhhhhhhh. Have we? Instead of nation-states advocating the death of people of different religions, we instead have transnational groups advocating for such violence, groups that are not constrained by traditional realpolitik. In many ways the religious structure of our world, specifically religious fanaticism, is far more dangerous than it was during the Crusades.

Back