Enduring Rhythm Sections

Shane Embury (bass) and Danny Herrera (drums)
Napalm Death (1991 - present)

26 years

However the title of the thread sounds like a list of bands with atrocious rhythm sections instead... Or, you know, a bloke bitching about how he doesn't like his metal bands with drums and base...

It honestly confused me at first :D

Anyway, I'd possibly broaden the scope to include significant rhythm section as well, considering not just the time spent together. Eg Tony Levin + Bill Bruford in King Crimson.

I totally do not recognize what you are talking about in your "However.... ...base.."-line.

On the last stuff:
Significance is such a subjective term. If you want to give attention to people you or others find significant, fine: open another thread if you like. This topic is not about that.

I totally do not recognize what you are talking about in your "However.... ...base.."-line.

Ah, it was just about the fact that when I first saw that title, I thought the topic was going to be complaining about rhythm sections you have to endure.

Significance is such a subjective term. If you want to give attention to people you or others find significant, fine: open another thread if you like. This topic is not about that.

I perhaps haven't expressed myself clearly - I meant it more "significant for the band".

What I mean - for example the Ginger Baker / Jack Bruce duo has been together for all about three years. However, it's as long as the band in question was together. Same goes for Entwistle/Moon, Jones/Bonham, Starkey/Macca... But that's OK, let's do just the absolute length thing.

Anyway,

John Lodge (bass) and Graeme Edge (drums)
The Moody Blues (1966-???)
51 years

Verdine White (bass) and Ralph Johnson (drums)
Earth, Wind and Fire (1972-???)
45 years

Billy Greer (bass) and Phil Ehart (drums)
Kansas (1985-???)
32 years

Jason Scheff (bass) and Tris Imboden (drums)
Chicago (1990-2016)
26 years

Ray Stiles (bass) and Bobby Elliot (drums)
The Hollies (1991-???)
26 years
(Actually, they have been together since 1986, but in 1990-1991 there was a time the previous bassist - Steve Stroud - returned.)

Stefan Lessard (bass) and Carter Beauford (drums)
Dave Matthews Band (1991-???)
26 years

Mike Hogan (bass) and Fergal Lawler (drums)
The Cranberries (1989-2003, 2009-???)
Even considering the 6 years hiatus of the whole band, they have been together for 22 years.

Same with

Billy Sheehan
(bass) and Pat Torpey (drums)
Mr. Big (1988-2002, 2009-???)
Also 22 years

Nate Mendel (bass) and Taylor Hawkins (drums)
Foo Fighters (1997-???)
20 years

Also, when the E Steet Band were functioning (Bruce dissolves them from time to time, if I understand it correctly) Danny Federici (bass) and Max Weinberg (drums) have been part of it from 1974 to 2008, but there's a huge gap for most of the 90's when the band was in limbo. So I don't know whether you want to include that - probably not.

Last edited:
What I mean - for example the Ginger Baker / Jack Bruce duo has been together for all about three years. However, it's as long as the band in question was together. Same goes for Entwistle/Moon, Jones/Bonham, Starkey/Macca... But that's OK, let's do just the absolute length thing.
Another example is Yes. The rhythm section on the classic/best Yes albums is Bruford and Squire, but that only lasted a few years. Meanwhile Alan White and Chris Squire is one of the longest standing duos on the list, but less influential. Same with Kiss. Strange to think the most longstanding lineup has recorded so little and is less respected overall than other lineups.

Btw @Forostar Eric and Gene is technically less than 26. Peter Criss was in the band from 96 to 01 and again in 2003, so it's closer to 19 years.

Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum 1990-2015 (GNR, Neurotic Outsiders, Velvet Revolver, also the cover bands Kings of Chaos and Hollywood Vampires)

Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee (1981-1999 & 2004-2015) Mötley Crüe

Last edited:
Back