El Dorado

How good is El Dorado on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
Yes, I know there's a lot of discussion for this song going on elsewhere, but since every other album on here has a separate thread for every song, I don't see a problem in having one for this song.

So... I haven't yet read what other people have said about this song, so I hope I'm not just repeating captain obvious. Personally I really like this song and think it's more interesting than the last two pre-album singles, mainly because I think they made a great conjugation between nodding at their back-catalogue and looking forward. the song have a heavier tone and some nice melodies and scale choices in the pre-chorus which feel kinda fresh, as in, fresh for IM. But the tempo and overall style is solid in things they've done before which makes it feel quite secure. I actually get the same feeling from the artwork, especially the self-concious old-school flirts in grapics and style.
I think in general, that this album will be just as great as I think BNW is (which, of course, is VERY ;)).

After listening to El Dorado for a considerable amount of times and doing a Maiden marathon with all the albums since last Monday (one album per day and its respective demos and studio b-sides), yesterday it was TNOTB listening time and we all know it's an spectacular and iconic record, but I feel that El Dorado - with a bit more of speed and the sonic value of the time, rig wise - could've fitted TNOTB, easily. Bruce's way of singing, representing a carachter is nothing new, too.

I hesitate to make a firm ranking one month into a song, without the context of an album.
But if I gotta...

:edmetal:

They took a lot of the Maiden staples — catchy chorus, interesting lyric, galloping bass — and arranged them in a way they hadn't before.
The metal explosion intro/outro and the basic riff powering the verses might have sounded cliche on a Scorpions or AC/DC song. On a Maiden song they sound fresh, confident and a little cheeky.
Especially balanced with "the Bruce the storyteller" vibe.

I think it will stand up very well with the other tracks Maiden has traditionally released as singles.

From what people are saying about the other tracks, I feel this is going to be one of the more weaker songs. However, I personally feel that El Dorado is a great track, and it serves what I felt its purpose was very well, which was to hold you over for the album and keep you wanting more from this album. A more in depth look on the song: The intro really fits when you listen to the end of the previous track, The Final Frontier. An outlook on the band member's performance, I feel that Bruce was holding back on the vocals and he really didn't give it his all. He sounds a little better during the chorus though. Arry's bass work is amazing and powerful, as always and keeps the rhythm of the song. The guitar work is simple yet effective, and does the job of catching the feel of the song, as does the drum work. Nicko does a great job and delivers the feel of the song with his powerful drumming. Overall, a great track that has me eagerly waiting for this new record.

I love this song, I think it's a great fist pumper.  My only complaint is that it would be so much better if it started at Nicko's high hat intro instead of the elongated jam that starts it.

Otherwise, good song.

So far I haveto say I'm not much of a fan of this song, I get the feeling that it's one of the weaker tracks (or I hope so). The intro is much stronger than the rest of the song and as such, once of the rest of the song is played, it feels dissappointing on the whole. But it should be good live, as Donner said, "a good fist pumper".

Natalie said:
The intro is much stronger than the rest of the song and as such, once of the rest of the song is played, it feels dissappointing on the whole. 

Must be a joke, right?

Natalie said:
So far I haveto say I'm not much of a fan of this song, I get the feeling that it's one of the weaker tracks (or I hope so). The intro is much stronger than the rest of the song and as such, once of the rest of the song is played, it feels dissappointing on the whole. But it should be good live, as Donner said, "a good fist pumper".

I agree 100%. I absolutely can not imagine that any of the other TFF tracks is going to be less good.
And indeed: still good live.

About it being the lesser song on the album and being a lot punchier live I agree, too, but preferring an intro, which is nothing but one of the most cliché, though effective Rock 'N' Roll motifs since the 50's over a massive main riff and a song which has all the classic early Maiden features is, in the least, weird.

Alright I indeed don't think that this "bang-intro" isn't the most original intro I've ever heard.  :D
But I agree with the rest for sure.

I was never saying the intro was original. But I like it. If that makes me weird then so be it.

Although between us, you've unearthed a much-known fact. I am a strange one.  :ninja:

I'm honestly quite surprised at the flack this song gets.  IMO it rocks harder than pretty much anything on AMOLAD.  It's a fun tune.  Can't wait to hear the actual album version.

I loved it when it first came out, and I still like it, but I feel I've listened to it a bit too much.  It was great live, though I was a bit disappointed at how badly the audience knew the lyrics to the chorus.  Steve's bass gallop would have been awesome to headbang to, but I couldn't because I had worn out my neck with Slayer and Anthrax the same day. :lol:  Bruce also sang it very well.  I think it would have been better to have it
later in the set, maybe in Wildest Dreams' place.
  I'd put it up there with songs like Children of the Damned, Heaven Can Wait, No More Lies, or Ghost of the Navigator in terms of how much I enjoy listening to the song.

This song is a grower, which is unusual for rockers by Maiden.

Still, I actually like it a fair bit more than when I first heard it.

Back