DRUNK POSTING

At least 3 pints deep into my glorious keg of nitrogen-delivered Old Speckled Hen today, and I have to say that hoppy beers kind of suck. Old Speckled Hen is the exact opposite of what's popular these days in craft beer, at least in the States, and that's part of what makes it so great. Creamy, malty, slightly bitter -- delicious.

At least 3 pints deep into my glorious keg of nitrogen-delivered Old Speckled Hen today, and I have to say that hoppy beers kind of suck. Old Speckled Hen is the exact opposite of what's popular these days in craft beer, at least in the States, and that's part of what makes it so great. Creamy, malty, slightly bitter -- delicious.
I fully agree. Some hopped beers are lovely but nothing beats a good beat bitter or traditional ale. I like to get some from our local tap house in a takeaway growler.

Reactions: Jer
At least 3 pints deep into my glorious keg of nitrogen-delivered Old Speckled Hen today, and I have to say that hoppy beers kind of suck.
My issue with most of the really hoppy beers - lookin' at you, APAs and IPAs - is that they all end up tasting the same to me. I go to a lot of breweries where the culture is all into what type of hops are used or subtle notes of blah blah blah but it all pretty much tastes the same to me. Some like grass, some like barnyards... one of my friends calls them "bug spray" beers. I'm partial to hazy (New England) IPAs because of their zest, but my biggest downfall is that I forget to hydrate enough and end up with a headache.

After a few of anything hoppy, though, I need something more straightforward - typically a cream ale or a bitter. Or the Christmas-type ales with all the spices. Those are my favorite. I'm also a fan of wheat beers. I'm really a fan of all beers when I think about it. Those barrel-aged ones give me indigestion, though. Bitters are a style that is relatively new to me but are perfect for watching a day game due to their mildness.

My issue with most of the really hoppy beers - lookin' at you, APAs and IPAs - is that they all end up tasting the same to me. I go to a lot of breweries where the culture is all into what type of hops are used or subtle notes of blah blah blah but it all pretty much tastes the same to me. Some like grass, some like barnyards... one of my friends calls them "bug spray" beers. I'm partial to hazy (New England) IPAs because of their zest, but my biggest downfall is that I forget to hydrate enough and end up with a headache.

After a few of anything hoppy, though, I need something more straightforward - typically a cream ale or a bitter. Or the Christmas-type ales with all the spices. Those are my favorite. I'm also a fan of wheat beers. I'm really a fan of all beers when I think about it. Those barrel-aged ones give me indigestion, though. Bitters are a style that is relatively new to me but are perfect for watching a day game due to their mildness.
Christmas beers from Belgium are what I live for in November and December. Bush Noel, St Bernardus Christmas Ale and Gouden Carolous are my favourite.

I’m really no beer snob, I just know that taste wise I don’t want something too bitter and like it to go down smoothly. To that end, the Blue Moon “Belgian-style wheat ale” that we sell at my store takes care of me when I’m in the mood for a beer. Don’t know where it ranks among the rest but it’s something I enjoy at least lol.

But this is also a you issue. You could drink three different whiskies: scotch, bourbon, rye, etc and say, “they all taste the same.” You could eat chicken tikka masala, bbq chicken, and chicken nuggets and say, “idk they all taste like chicken.”

Not all of us can have advanced palettes, my friend. I like to distinguish the notes in one bug spray from another bug spray. Yum yum yum!

I'm not really drunk but I've just had two strong ciders in fairly quick succession and am currently in that stage where my confidence is increased and everything seems like a good idea but I'm still coherent and not obnoxious. Wish the girl I fancied was with me, I'd tell her everything but she'd probably be put off by my drunkenness.

Genuinely surprised drunkenness is a word. Learn something new everyday.

I’m really no beer snob, I just know that taste wise I don’t want something too bitter and like it to go down smoothly. To that end, the Blue Moon “Belgian-style wheat ale” that we sell at my store takes care of me when I’m in the mood for a beer. Don’t know where it ranks among the rest but it’s something I enjoy at least lol.
Blue Moon is a good beach beer!

Not drunk currently but I did get a little inebriated Saturday night. Had about 4 Coors Banquet tall boys and a Pilsner from a local brewery at a local punk showcase where 5 bands played. One of the bands played Code Blue by TSOL and the singer let me sing some of it, great time!

• Love
Reactions: Jer
Back