Drifter

How good is Drifter on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Now I know that a few people will think that I am a little silly here but I have another concept for the meaning behind the lyrics to "Drifter". In the commentary section it is said that it is the redemption part of the album where the "killer" finds some kind of hope and a new begining. I think that it is a song about a guy picking up a girl at a pub or bar for some "lovin".

Now first off the guy is a really prolofic lover as stated bu the title of the song "Drifter". The definition of drifter from the Webster dictionary is as follows: "one that drifts; especially : one that travels or moves about aimlessly". It seems that this guy is not satisfied with only one woman but several.

Now read the first part of the song lyrics befor the Murray solo.
Drifter Lyrics

You also have to take into consideration that the phrase"sing my song" is refering to the guy making love.

After the solo by Murray there is the refrain "I want you to sing it, sing it, sing it, sing it along." This is where the cortship has come to a make it or break it point and he finaly convinces the girl to go with him to wherever.

After the refrain the lyrics are repeted but in a new context. He has the girl and now they are doing the deed. This is followed by the memorable Smith solo that depicts the throws of passion.

There is another refrain after that. At this point I feel sorry for the girl as the guy says that it will not take long for him to sing his song... ::

There you have it. Ill informed or not I think that it is funny to think of the song in this context.

Grapetrap

'drifter'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on '[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album02_killers/commentary02_killers〈=eng&link=albums#track11\' target=\'_blank\']Drifter[/a]' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'drifter'

grapetrap, i really like your explanation! its the first one that really makes sence to me.

'drifter'

ok, i gave my rating, although i don't see the point of rating the songs, since each and everyone of the readers has diferent tastes, and it's all down to that! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] anyway, its a good song, but nothing great imo. the lyrics are shallower than usual too! and i can't be proud of maiden never using the word "baby" in a song because of this! [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'drifter'

Even more so than Running Free or Sanctuary, this sums up Paul Di'anno for me. One of Maiden songs with a genuine punk urgency to it. I have always found both the beggining and the end of the song to be immeasurably exciting. Does that make sense? Although I wonder how many takes it took for Paul to nail the opening 'ruuuunnnn aawaaayyyy'. I have had the live b-side of Sanctuary and he can barely manage a growled 'yeah' on it. Still top though. It seemed at one point that Bruce took a certain amount of pleasure in holding the note for as long as possible when performing Drifter live.

'drifter'

One of my least favourites on the album. Maybe it's the lyrics, I don't know. On a positive side, Paul really delivers the goods on this song. The scream right at the end must have been pretty hard to do.

'drifter'

I don't know what to say about that song. It's quite cheesy, but still features some cool moments - and the live version is fun! I guess 3,5 stars is alright for that one.

'drifter'

Well, this is another brilliant song, for several reasons.
Punk energy, which can rarely do harm [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Great rhythm section.
Splendid vocal performance by Paul.
Fun middle section.
Superb solos, especially ravishing Adrian.
Excellent lyrics (no offence to Alexander the Great or Moonchild, which I both love). Although here, too, I feel a symbolic meaning - I think singing a song could just as well be substituted by making love. Hence Paul's great oooh yeah, perhaps.
All in all, four and a half. A great album closer.

'drifter'

This is the only song that I really don't like at all, in fact its one of the fews Iron Maiden song which I dislike. It sound too much "sex, drugs and rock and roll" for me. The lyrics are poor and the whole instrumental is quite 'cheap'…. the only thing which prevents me of giving it 2 stars is the live redention of it (back in the 80's) with the 'yo yo yo' thing which is really amusing to hear and enjoy (Listen to the Beast Over Hammersmith to listen what I'm talking about). 3 stars.

'drifter'

I too really like this song, Pauls singing at its best (recorded at least). It has a real raw urgency about it reminiscent of the previous album. The lyrics are a little ambigious admittedly, but the tune is sooo catchy, and the last growly yeeahh which marks the end of Di'Anno's time with maiden is a really poignant emotional moment (for me anyway). Follow this song with Invaders and its like stepping into another world(both excellent worlds though).

Daily Song: Drifter

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Drifter

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Again, completely not memorable to me. Live it sounds okay, but it honestly feels uninspired. 5/10.

Re: Daily Song: Drifter

Nice rocker, to the point with great blues nods. Adrian uses wah on his solo which was a first with Maiden. 8.

"My mum's 'ere tonight - and I told 'er you lot was good." So said DiAnno when we could not get, in his opinion, a decent "Yo, Yo, Yo". Oh how we tried. I was on the friggin' balcony and screaming my lungs out, but he could not hear me! Or so it seems.

Love this song and live - it's sooo much better. 9/10.

This is the pinnacle of bad Maiden in my opinion. I haven't seen any version of it live but I just don't like the studio version at all. 1/10, I'm afraid.

The best part of these threads are Albie's recollections.

LooseCannon said:
The best part of these threads are Albie's recollections.
Some memories just stay with you. And the odd boot helps to recollect it in more detail. ;)

The descending main riff is mildly interesting, but the melody isn’t. Paul sounds clogged, not raspy and the lyrics are the definition of meh. Clive’s little roll under the “sing along” urging is a nice hook, but the forgettable far outweighs the tasty here. Five.

Average at best.  I suppose it would be good live, but there are also parts that I just don't like.  5

This feels like a pure live number put on record just so people will get to know it. The way Paul sings I want you to sing it, sing it, sing it, sing it along sounds stupid on the studio version, but suddenly makes sense, and a lot of it, live. From the way it works live, you can still say it's a good song - 6/10.

Back