Dream Theater

Meh, LaBrie has sounded fine on the Mangini era albums until D/T. I’m not sure how they dropped the ball on that so badly, I hope it’s not a matter of JLB’s voice being so gone at this point that they have to overprocess it for it to be passable. I would be happy with the vocal sound of any of the previous 3 albums.
Yeah, it sounded great on The Astonishing. Here’s hoping that the additional time spent working on the songs means there’s less processing.

A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - 10/22/21
1. The Alien (9:32)
2. Answering The Call (7:35)
3. Invisible Monster (6:31)
4. Sleeping Giant (10:05)
5. Transcending Time (6:25)
6. Awaken The Master (9:47)
7. A View From The Top Of The World (20:24)
"To stretch beyond our limits
To blaze a brand new trail
Bold enough to conquer
Brave enough to fail..."

1627481870661.png

Wow that last song is 20.24? At this rate their songs will have to come with bathroom break sequence in the future.

Album cover looks cool; I'm excited.

Will be interested to see how the 20 minute track goes; I wasn't enthralled by Illumination Theory.

The clip art montage covers are getting incredibly stale. Otherwise I’m excited.

Think I’ll be skipping the tour, though.
I’m on the fence, will probably wait for a Setlist and then decide. A 90 minute set isn’t a lot to work with for Dream Theater, not a lot of time for new material.

Album isn’t that long though.

I’m on the fence, will probably wait for a Setlist and then decide. A 90 minute set isn’t a lot to work with for Dream Theater, not a lot of time for new material.

Album isn’t that long though.
Yeah, I totally understand why they would want to chill on the Evening With shows, especially for LaBrie.

If the setlist looks great, I might buy a cheap seat. They’ve played the same exact location in Chicago the last 4 times (this will be 5) and honestly I’m just kind of bored with the show.

Yup, I’m on show 5 at the same venue too. It’s the best theatre in the city though so I’m not bugged about it.

Wow that last song is 20.24? At this rate their songs will have to come with bathroom break sequence in the future.
Where have you been the last 30 years? A change of seasons, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance, Octovarium, Count of Tuscany, and a few others are well above the 16 min mark. Count of Tuscany is a few seconds shy of 20, Octavarium is over it, change of seasons is also over the 20 minute mark.

In fact the track lengths alone have me feeling optimistic.

Where have you been the last 30 years? A change of seasons, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance, Octovarium, Count of Tuscany, and a few others are well above the 16 min mark. Count of Tuscany is a few seconds shy of 20, Octavarium is over it, change of seasons is also over the 20 minute mark.

In fact the track lengths alone have me feeling optimistic.
I am not a fan of these 20 min songs. Count of Tuscany is an exception though, that song and The Odyssey from Symphony X are the only 2 I can sit through.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of these 20 min songs. Count of Tuscany is an exception though, that song and The Odyssey from Symphony X are the only 2 I can sit through.
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is technically a 42 minute track and I think it's one of the best things Dream Theater have ever put out.

Back