Dream Theater

Surprisingly I have not been to DT yet despite them being one of my favorite bands. That should change come November, I now own a ticket to the show in Seattle. Also this will be my first time at the Paramount Theatre.

Pleasantly surprised by the mix on that clip. Nice clarity on the instruments, really nice lush sounding keyboards. Drums are up front.

Remember "Raw Dog" or "The Dark Eternal Night"? ;)
I remember the former being an instrumental that LaBrie thankfully couldn't ruin - but I don't recall it being memorable anyway. The latter had that sweet riff with the CLANG! bass chord, which I love. Solid chorus, LaBrie trying to sound angry during the verses, horrible pre-chorus ruined by Portnoy's tuf guy vocals. The instrumental portion consisted of the typical Dream Theater masturbatory session, which didn't ruin the vibe of the song (unlike The Ministry of Lost Souls) since the lyrics were about some stupid pharaoh monster or something. This song is one example of how Portnoy's greater writing input was starting to get stale.

Listening to The Alien.
You can connect to some New Zealand VPN and be in future!
I am using the Urban VPN Chrome estension

Attachments

• 1628774921966.png
    1628774921966.png
    741.8 KB · Views: 11
I think the song is phenomenal. Does sound similar to Systematic Chaos at times, and much better than any of the D/T singles. The only thing that really irked me was quickly it moved from the intense intro to the melodic guitar part at 1:15. I did like the reprise towards the end though.
I don't know, it's weird - the reprise wouldn't feel the same as just a melody without hearing it at the beginning, but I really didn't like how it initially just randomly appears. It's almost as if they put it there for the motif.

And here we have the best song since Illumination Theory. Easily.
I'm honestly inclined to agree, the only song that really stuck with me from D/T is At Wit's End. Three Days would be my favourite from The Astonishing but come on. It doesn't compete with these two.

Felt the new song started out really dense (I couldn't really understand the vocals for the first half of the song) but it mellowed out nicely in the second half.

Looking forward to the rest.

It's a good song. I definitely got strong Systematic Chaos vibes, In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 in particular. The production sounds better than other recent DT albums, which is not a surprise considering that Andy Sneap mixed and mastered this.

Felt the new song started out really dense (I couldn't really understand the vocals for the first half of the song) but it mellowed out nicely in the second half.

Looking forward to the rest.
Lyrics link

I like it. To me, very similar to DOT sessions (except for the chorus). Pale Blue Dot vibe (theme wise).
Love the Rush tribute line "Digital Man".

Yes, I could hear so many past songs in this single and melodies remind me of so many other bits from the past. Wondering if you are making such long complex music full of "everything happening" whether it is even possible to come up with new melodies and harmonies, that will be fresh and original ..

Pleasantly surprised by LaBrie's vocals. He's definitely trying to stay more in his current range, which is absolutely a good thing.

Back