Dream Theater

As excited as I am for a new DT release, I feel like the timing couldn't be worse. If they indeed do release a new album in the next few months it will be completely overshadowed by Maiden's album.

When are they announcing Portnoy is back?
Funny you should bring it up. A good friend of mine went off on this rant on how DT went to shit after they kicked him out and While their first album post portnoy was good the rest have been crap. Then he went on to talk my ear off about LTE 3 and THAT is what DT SHOULD be and bla, bla, bla. I just told him seemed everyone, especially Myung, was sick of him and I don't see him coming back.

As excited as I am for a new DT release, I feel like the timing couldn't be worse. If they indeed do release a new album in the next few months it will be completely overshadowed by Maiden's album.
I'm already picking up two new albums releasing September 3rd. One more surely can't hurt...

Even if you don’t like their new albums, I have a hard time seeing how Portnoy’s involvement would make that much of a difference. He doesn’t write the music.

1. Instagram post says all will be revealed on the 28th
2. Another Lost But Not Forgotten Archive Bootleg Release - Master Of Puppets Live.

Someone spilled the beans and posted the tour dates on Facebook. No evening with, the tour is called Top of the World Tour, so the album is probably similarly titled.

I could see the album being called Top of the World, with the song being called A View From the Top of the World. I’m starting to get pretty excited for this. I wasn’t super into Distance Over Time, partially because I think they stripped their sound down a little too much. Pale Blue Dot was really cool, for example. Most of the time I am usually happy for a band to make their music a bit more concise and stripped down, but Dream Theater seems to do better when they go for more epics, which seems to be the case on this album. But it’s a fine line between epics that have a lot of value to them and songs that are a bit bloated. DT12 threaded the needle really well for me while ADTOE felt a little empty. If they could come up with something that has the same level of variety and focus as DT12 but with expanded song forms, I will be a happy customer. The last two albums were mostly misses so I would really like to be wowed again.

In other news, is anyone following the Lost Not Forgotten bootleg series? I’m contemplating jumping on board with these although they are coming out at a rate that my wallet can’t keep up with. I’m also not super keen on the kaleidoscope designs and have heard that there aren’t any liner notes or goodies that were part of the original YtseJam releases. Anyway, I’ve got most of the original YtseJam albums so it would be nice to complete the collection, although I’m wondering if I should just sell off the originals and go for the re-releases, assuming they eventually get to everything. Really curious to see what they pull out of the archive, and whether there will be anything in collaboration with Portnoy since he has everything 2010 and prior.

Meh, LaBrie has sounded fine on the Mangini era albums until D/T. I’m not sure how they dropped the ball on that so badly, I hope it’s not a matter of JLB’s voice being so gone at this point that they have to overprocess it for it to be passable. I would be happy with the vocal sound of any of the previous 3 albums.

As mentioned by @Mosh , here is a link about upcoming tour. Live Nation is emailing presale codewords now so looks like article is accurate:

Back