Dream Theater

Dream Theater historically works very fast. The last time they really spent a lot of time carving out an album, we got Scenes From a Memory. They did take some extra time with The Astonishing, but it seems that was more due to production delays than them spending extra time on the compositions. I hope they didn’t rush through this new album and instead took advantage of having more time to work on new stuff.

Somehow LTE3 lived up to impossible hype. Putting all the jam tracks on the second disc was a good move, because almost everything on the main disc is really worthwhile. Chris and Kevin was the only weak moment for me.

Man JP is still a master. He isn’t quite as innovative anymore, but he’s really refined his sound and his playing has a lot more taste now than it did in the early years imo. Love the thick tone too.

It’s great to hear these guys playing together again. Hope there’s a tour. Best thing to come out of the DT camp since MP left. Probably much earlier.

I've been listening to it since it came out, and even if I'm not into instrumental music, I guess I really like everything Petrucci and Portnoy make. Same as @Mosh, I'd rate LTE3 and Terminal Velocity over last decade of DT.

I'haven't paid that much attention to the second disc (from Deluxe edition) but it does seem those tracks are much less... directionless? There isn't a single weak track on that first disc, although I would say there are a few weak moments (but hey, considering songs length, I'd say those good to great moments prevail). The highlight of the album is definitely Rhapsody in Blue. It never really kicks of as some parts of the song make you believe, still, it's an incredible listen (if I'm not mistaken, they've already covered this one on their tours but in different variations.)

This would be cool to see live, but I'd rather go to solo Petrucci tour (Rudess and Levin would probably need the spotlight too, and I'd rather watch Petrucci soloing than someone going berserk on keytar and/or Chapman stick).

You too can drink like John Petrucci! Unlock the secret of ludicrous beard growth and intense glamour muscles! Only $200 a bottle!

This video contains the simplest 2:53 seconds of music John Petrucci has ever played.

179973022_2556453547996508_6035900363183930447_n.jpg

You too can drink like John Petrucci! Unlock the secret of ludicrous beard growth and intense glamour muscles! Only $200 a bottle!
*insert that emoji who's waving his finger no-no*
That's why Nebula is made for. Linky link
This bourbon is more like for... "you too can be one of the beast guitar players in the world and still be humble about it"

This video contains the simplest 2:53 seconds of music John Petrucci has ever played.
I actually love "Snake In My Boots." Every song on that album had some sort of Petruci complexity magic, while this one is just pure, simple fun.

I always thought Portnoy and Petrucci did an OK job mixing their own albums. That is, until I've heard this:
(Rudess' isolated track from The Count of Tuscany starting @5:53)

Skimming over Dream Theater Reddit I've realized there's a dozen of examples like this. Damn, that guy deserves more spotlight...

Yeah I think LaBrie missed his true calling in life — being the lead singer in a Crüe cover band.

Am I to understand DT is also preparing a release? I haven't been following their fandom, but that would be also very neat.

DT too? I'm already waiting on new Maiden, Scorpions, Halestorm and Night Flight Orchestra albums. Looks like I've got a lot of listening to do...

DT's fanclub instagram page has been posting short 30 second clips over the last few weeks. On them it ends with an acronym and a timestamp. Likely to do with the new album. Here is the list spaced out by which video they are from. Each day's released timelenght would be 1 vinyl side per chunk. I suspect we are very close to announcement, if they follow their pattern the next post will be tomorrow
  • TA 9:32
  • ATC 7:35

• IM 6:02
  • SG 10:05

• TT 6:45
  • ATM 9:47

• AVFTTOW 20:24

Back