Dream Theater

Petrucci & Portnoy collab is exciting. Portnoy had said last year that he'd love to make music with Petrucci again. It's good to see it come to fruition.

Yeah, there's the Broadway metal album also! When did ol' Bucky release a Broadway metal album, huh?

Dunno, I probably missed it.

When did JP work with Claypool or Mike Patton? Or play with Bootsy or Bernie Worrell or Tony Williams? Or release a Halloween album? Or thirty...

It's nice to see Portnoy and Petrucci creating music together again. I wonder if getting another LTE album sometime in the future is within the realm of possibility.

It's nice to see Portnoy and Petrucci creating music together again. I wonder if getting another LTE album sometime in the future is within the realm of possibility.
Can’t wait until Jordan and Myung join together on a future project. :ninja:

I always imagined the lack of new LTE came down to two things:

Scheduling: this is the biggest. DT was active pretty much non stop from 2000 to 2020, only stopping now because of the virus. Portnoy is notorious for cramming his schedule but I imagine the other guys are mostly happy to use the time off, hence the lack of new LTE material and the long wait for another JP solo album (also knowing that he probably spent a few years recording this on and off).

PR: This becomes a factor post MP leaving, but I imagine neither parties want to deal with the inevitable flood of “MP rejoining DT” rumors that would accompany a collaboration such as LTE. Perhaps this album is testing the waters, as I’m sure some corners of the net are already speculating. At the same time, almost 10 years have passed since Portnoy left and maybe now things like this can happen without creating a social media headache for the members.

This becomes a factor post MP leaving, but I imagine neither parties want to deal with the inevitable flood of “MP rejoining DT” rumors that would accompany a collaboration such as LTE. Perhaps this album is testing the waters, as I’m sure some corners of the net are already speculating. At the same time, almost 10 years have passed since Portnoy left and maybe now things like this can happen without creating a social media headache for the members.
The first thing that popped into my head when I saw his name associated with this Petrucci album is "people will start demanding Portnoy return to Dream Theater". Some people have never stopped asking for it.

PR: This becomes a factor post MP leaving, but I imagine neither parties want to deal with the inevitable flood of “MP rejoining DT” rumors that would accompany a collaboration such as LTE.

I don't think it should matter. If they want to do another LTE, they should. DT has been very firm about the prospects of Portnoy returning (lack thereof) - if people still don't get that it's on them. That being said, I think LTE was imagined as a short-term project anyway.

Sure, they should do what they want, but that includes not doing an LTE album because they’d rather not open the floodgates to people demanding a DT reunion.

This sort of thing has happened before. When Neal Morse did his double concept album the same year as The Astonishing, Portnoy expressed hesitation to be involved initially because he didn’t want to deal with fans constantly comparing the two.

Agree with Mosh, the fans are annoying enough as is, without a bait like that. I'd also say that it's much easier to get together when 3/4s of members are from the same band that tours, records and generally spends time together, unlike now when they're split into at least three separate entities at any given time (whoever wrote this on the forum? "Fuck him and his Constant Motion").

Also, on a personal level, I just feel they're at a different place now. LTE at least to me is connected to a very specific period of time and despite it not being meant in that way, it always felt kinda like a "bonus" for the fans - among the lines of Evening with Petrucci and Rudess or all those "official bootlegs" when they re-created Master of Puppets or DSOTM in concert... I don't see them doing something like this now. But like I said, it's a subjective thing, there's really no reason why they couldn't. It's just all this stuff stopped quite some time ago.

And that's why I miss Portnoy (also because the second half of his tenure, in the 00s, really clicked with me personally in many ways, though I realise I'm in the minority here), but I also get very easily annoyed with the fans consistently whining for his return.
It won't be like that. It can't be. That ship has sailed. And what has been broken in the process, it ain't coming back.

You feel me?

You feel me?
giphy.gif

Rudess already confirmed that they are planning a reunion so I'd say that the chances are quite good.

Back