Dream Theater

Was relistening through Operation: Mindcrime and... is it just me, or does the solo section in “Pull Me Under” resemble the one in Queensrÿche’s “Mission”?

I think it really overcomplicates things. Start with I&W, Metropolis, or Awake. If you still like Dream Theater after those three albums, the order doesn't matter after that.

The categorizations are really weird too. DT12 has more in common with Distance Over Time than Falling Into Infinity. Octavarium should probably go with the lighter side. Train of Thought is a really bad album to start with because it is so one dimensional (in a good way) and doesn't really capture DT's typical sound. I would swap that with Awake. I also don't think comparing BC&SL/The Astonishing to either of the Six Degrees discs is a good way of introducing those albums. Six Degrees is unlike anything DT has done before or after. Those albums are nothing like it.

Overall seems like something made by someone who binged through the DT discography once.

I think it really overcomplicates things. Start with I&W, Metropolis, or Awake. If you still like Dream Theater after those three albums, the order doesn't matter after that.

The categorizations are really weird too. DT12 has more in common with Distance Over Time than Falling Into Infinity. Octavarium should probably go with the lighter side. Train of Thought is a really bad album to start with because it is so one dimensional (in a good way) and doesn't really capture DT's typical sound. I would swap that with Awake. I also don't think comparing BC&SL/The Astonishing to either of the Six Degrees discs is a good way of introducing those albums. Six Degrees is unlike anything DT has done before or after. Those albums are nothing like it.

Overall seems like something made by someone who binged through the DT discography once.
Octavarium has some of DT:s heaviest songs. I think it's in the right place.

Which songs? Panic Attack and Root of All Evil are kinda heavy but not anywhere near the level of stuff on Systematic Chaos or Train of Thought. On the other hand, I Walk Beside You, The Answer Lies Within, and Never Enough are some of the poppiest songs they've written. It's very similar to Falling Into Infinity in that even the heavy moments are more hard rock than metal.

Panic and Root. Some songs are very poppy but I think those two are very heavy. ToT is still obviously the heaviest album.

Panic Attack is the only really heavy song. If Root was on I&W or FITI it would still not be the heaviest.

They really should
drop Pale Blue Dot and play At Wit's End instead. By far the best song on the album.

Something I've found today:

Only 1 of Dream Theater's last 54 songs is over 10 minutes long, as opposed to 11 out of the last 18 prior to that.

The overall songwriting imo fell off a cliff when Portnoy left.

And then you say how dare that
I didn't write you back
I must be too good for you

I only care about myself

So I hurt your feelings
Well I'm really sorry

But I don't give a shit, no

NOW LET ME INTRODUCE
MAH BROTHA

IT'S A MIRACLE HE LIVED, IT'S A BLESSING NO ONE DIED
BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE, EVERYONE SURVIVED

RAAAAAAAAAAWR

And then you say how dare that
I didn't write you back
I must be too good for you

I only care about myself

So I hurt your feelings
Well I'm really sorry

But I don't give a shit, no

NOW LET ME INTRODUCE
MAH BROTHA

IT'S A MIRACLE HE LIVED, IT'S A BLESSING NO ONE DIED
BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE, EVERYONE SURVIVED

RAAAAAAAAAAWR
The epics on Black Clouds are better than anything they've done ever since. Breaking All Illusions, The Looking Glass and At Wit's End come close tho.

The last two songs on BC&SL are awesome, but everything else I kind of struggle to pay attention to. I lose interest. For example ANTR is a great song, but I usually end it halfway through and listen to something else. ADTOE is a way better album!

Back