Dream Theater

The problem I have with The Ministry of Lost Souls is that the instrumental section doesn’t fit the song at all. It’s not a bad section by itself, but it is extremely out of place here. Otherwise, yes - it’s a great song!

Wow!
Seeing Metropolis pt 2 live with the animated videos was amazing! Combine that with the mood set by the 1920s music & backdrop of the old house during the intermission really set the mood. I also feel the screen was used well during Pale Blue Dot by starting off with space footage heading to Earth. I liked how Barstool Warrior started and ended with the name of the song on the screen (no wonder James did not announce the tune; that should have been done for In the Presence of Enemies pt 1 as well because, if unfamiliar with that song, would have been difficult to figure out the title if you aren't aware of the setlist.fm website).

I agree this stage & backdrop is much better than the I&W anniversary tour. But one thing they still don't use is the backdrop to zoom in on who is playing the solo so those of us not in the front row can get a good look (especially at Petrucci's solos!).

@LooseCannon is correct when he said something like DT has top level chops but almost zero stage charisma or presence. Oh well still a very heavy, yet at times beautiful show.

James told a story of their last time in Houston (but mistakenly said the story took place in Dallas until Petrucci corrected him) when they were eating at a steakhouse when next to them they see George & Barbara Bush! The couple asked if they were wrestlers!! When DT explained who they were, Barbara inquired about going to the show! Obviously it ended up not happening but James said he really enjoyed meeting her and he loved her personality.

2 complaints:
1. Most metal bands, prior to the show, while fans are walking in, play rock or metal over the PA, but last night DT played Electronic club music?! Perhaps that goes with the robotic back drop but I still HATED IT!!
2. NO TOUR PROGRAM?! On the I&W anniversary tour & The Astonishing tour they had huge great programs! Wonder why not this time?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2019/revention-music-center-houston-tx-1390b101.html

James told a story of their last time in Houston (but mistakenly said the story took place in Dallas until Petrucci corrected him) when they were eating at a steakhouse when next to them they see George & Barbara Bush! The couple asked if they were wrestlers!!
Wrestlers? That's hilarious. :D

1. Most metal bands, prior to the show, while fans are walking in, play rock or metal over the PA, but last night DT played Electronic club music?! Perhaps that goes with the robotic back drop but I still HATED IT!!
Dude they were playing Kraftwerk. Classic (and prog adjacent).

They’re not EDM though. They came out of the same Krautrock scene that brought us prog bands like Popol Vuh and Can. They are only a few degrees removed from what DT is doing, just with different instrumentation.

The band really leveled up the stage production this year and it was a welcome change. The screen and the platforms make their lack of stage presence less noticeable.

Maybe a classic if you are a fan of EDM; I am not and certainly not what I want to hear when out for a night of prog METAL.
Well, the problem with DT -in my opinion- dates from when they started doing "metal" (TOT, 2003) on a more regular basis ("The Glass Prison" -SDOIT, 2002- was good because at this point, it was still original for them)... which they can't really do as well as prog "hard" rock. But again, that's a matter of taste. ;)

Back