Dream Theater

I seriously think that
Invisible Monster
is one of the worst songs the band has ever recorded, and that includes some of the horrible tracks on Falling Into Infinity as well as that Room whatever dud from their previous album.
And the setlists also includes one of the worst DT songs in the form of
"Endless Sacrifice", which is to boot a kind of rip-off of this song
. On this tour, DT comes only 2h30 far from my home but seeing the setlist (and, in general, their output since 2003, excluding one or two brilliant tracks here and there, e.g "Octavarium"), I won't bother.

Which songs from FII fall in the horrible category?
You Not Me and Burning My Soul. I’m also not a big fan of Take Away My Pain, but I don’t think it’s horrible or anything. Considering the track Raise the Knife is far stronger than all three, it’s a shame it was left off the record.

@Black Bart
The similarities in those opening chords have to be more than a coincidence! Outside of the little ballad, that track is easily my least favorite on that album (one of my favorite albums by them, by the way). Most of the instrumental section completely breaks up the feel of the song, and the nu-metal chorus makes me laugh every time.

You Not Me and Burning My Soul. I’m also not a big fan of Take Away My Pain, but I don’t think it’s horrible or anything. Considering the track Raise the Knife is far stronger than all three, it’s a shame it was left off the record.

@Black Bart
The similarities in those opening chords have to be more than a coincidence! Outside of the little ballad, that track is easily my least favorite on that album (one of my favorite albums by them, by the way). Most of the instrumental section completely breaks up the feel of the song, and the nu-metal chorus makes me laugh every time.
"Burning My Soul" has a special significance for me, since I mostly discovered DT thanks to this song, featured on a CD sampler offered with a magazine (French Hard Rock Magazine, in the spring of 1997). I quite like "You Not Me", thanks to the chorus, which makes it better than the original ("You Or Me") but I admit to being partial to Desmond Child's input, which may not be the case of everybody here. ;)

As for "Take Away My Pain", I heard it first on the live album and I don't like that version very much. That said, the album version has a nice Marillion feel (the solo especially), though some additions of percussions has a strange Disney-like hue.

All in all, it is obvious that Falling Into Infinity is very polarizing. I get why Mike Portnoy regretted how it turned out at first, but consider how he somewhat rehabilitated it later on, especially with PSMS and Sons of Apollo.

To finish, "Hell's Kitchen"/"Lines In The Sand" is among my favourite DT moments ever.

Last edited:
Room 137 is a awful filler, but at least it not taking itself so serious. The song we mentioned before managed to be both pretentious and pathetic. As per song that Black Bart mention - since I started on DT just a couple of years ago, I've always heard some other artist/band/genre within their albums, from Scenes (1999) onward, so it doesn't bother me that much. Still, didn't think MJ will be one of them.

Just took my son to his 3rd DT show (my 5th) and we were blown away! Best visuals of any of the previous tours and James was in a great mood (dancing around, talking to the crowd and his bandmates in between songs). The friend I planned on taking couldn't go so took my son's mom (who is not a headbanger). She liked James' voice (I let her follow along with lyrics on my phone so she knew what he was singing) and the visuals and said she wants to see them again!

Surprisingly her favorite song of the night was Endless Sacrifice! I must admit Count of Tuscany was the one I was most looking forward to but Endless Sacrifice blew it away!
Also enjoyed title track to new lp far more than expected.

Great night!

now I'm not THAT much ino Dream Theater but definitely like what I've heard, so what I'm curious about is: what songs would all you Dream Theater fanboys name their really best? :) Barstool Warrior e.g is cool I think, heard it for the first time only a few days ago. the guitar solo is interesting.

now I'm not THAT much ino Dream Theater but definitely like what I've heard, so what I'm curious about is: what songs would all you Dream Theater fanboys name their really best? :) Barstool Warrior e.g is cool I think, heard it for the first time only a few days ago. the guitar solo is interesting.
In order of album, note album titles that are bolded I'd say are pretty perfect throughout

When Dream And Day Unite *Note Different singer than the rest of the catalog*
Status Seeker
The Killing Hand (I prefer the Live At The Marquee Version)
Afterlife

Images And Words:
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper
Learning To Live

Awake:
A Mind Beside Itself Pt 1: Eroteromania
A Mind Beside Itself Pt 2: Voices
A Mind Beside Itself Pt 3: The Silent Man
The Mirror/Lie
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream

A Change Of Seasons EP:
A Change Of Seasons

Falling Into Infinity:
Hallow Years
Raise The Knife (Didn't make it onto the record but is available as a demo or live)

Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory:
Scene 2, pt 2: Strange Deja Vu
Scene 6: Home
Scene 8: The Spirit Carries On
Scene 9: Finally Free

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence:
The Glass Prison
Solitary Shell

Train Of Thought
As I Am
Endless Sacrifice
In The Name Of God

Octavarium: Probably their most commercial sounding album
Octavarium

Systematic Chaos:
Constant Motion
Ministry of Lost Souls

Black Clouds & Silver Linings
A Nightmare To Remember

A Dramatic Turn Of Events:
Bridges In The Sky
Breaking All Illusions

Dream Theater:
Along For The Ride

The Astonishing
Our New World

Distance Over Time:
Barstool Warrior
At Wit's End
Pale Blue Dot

A View From The Top Of The World
Answering The Call
Sleeping Giant
Transcending Time
Awaken The Master
A View From The Top Of The World

Dream Theater has a lot of different kinds of songs to offer, but the ones you can’t go wrong with are Finally Free, The Mirror and Breaking All Illusions. I have many more favourites but those are a good place to start.

I don’t know, haven’t ever noticed him lip syncing and I’m not really concerned about it. Following DT over the last years, I’ve been more concerned about James’ general mood. He seems tired, it even shows in his appearance, perhaps from all the criticism he’s received over his voice. I hope I’m wrong but he doesn’t seem very well to me. It doesn’t seem far-fetched because touring is such a physically and mentally draining process. I can’t imagine periodically giving shows every night for decades.

I've seen the video where people say he does lip-sync and I only see that the backing vocals are recorded because no one is doing backing vocals. Milli Vanilli :lol:

Back