Dream Theater

Ytse Jam and Afterlife are the only songs on WDADU that get play time from me.

Check out the Score version of Afterlife to hear it with LaBrie on vocals.

LC, are you familiar with the When Dream and Day Reunite video? It's the band performing the entire album live on its anniversary. The songs are still somewhat weak, but the production and vocal flaws are mostly fixed. Also, I'd say Myung is a top performer on this album as well.

LC reviews too? Wow! Have you heard the whole discography yet?
Nope, I abandoned my previous attempt many years ago, but we'll see how it goes.

Figured I'm seeing the band in April, I might as well know the disco.

LC, are you familiar with the When Dream and Day Reunite video? It's the band performing the entire album live on its anniversary. The songs are still somewhat weak, but the production and vocal flaws are mostly fixed. Also, I'd say Myung is a top performer on this album as well.
Nope.

Nope, I abandoned my previous attempt many years ago, but we'll see how it goes.

Figured I'm seeing the band in April, I might as well know the disco.
You'll like it. It takes dedication to get into them but stylistically (other than Judas Priest) they have the closest sound to Maiden than any other band I've heard imo.

Yea i don’t know about that. There’s a Maiden influence but it’s one of many influences and is not always present in their music.

Yea i don’t know about that. There’s a Maiden influence but it’s one of many influences and is not always present in their music.
It's not always present, but it's the thing that helped me get into them.

I actually like the first Dream Theater album, but I rarely listen to it. I'm so used to hearing James LaBrie that the debut album just doesn't sound like a Dream Theater album even if the songs are good.

The debut reminds me more of queensryche and fates warning, who were contemporaries of DT at the time.

Yeah, I don't know how I'll feel about When Dream and Day Unite in a few albums. I really feel like they are not good songs in general, and poorly performed and especially produced. I'll probably check out the anniversary performance eventually.

Yeah, I don't know how I'll feel about When Dream and Day Unite in a few albums. I really feel like they are not good songs in general, and poorly performed and especially produced. I'll probably check out the anniversary performance eventually.

Correct. Even with James in his prime the best song here is an instrumental which pales in comparison to any future instrumentals the band will write.

Do listen to the Live At The Marquee version of The Killing Hand, though. It's pretty good.

You can tell Dream Theater are huge Iron Maiden fans, though.

Their tours start out with clever names: Images and Tour, Touring into Infinity, World Tourbulence. Then they just gave up and went to Name of Album Tour, like Maiden.

Their paths cross with Maiden more than once in the early history. One of their first high profile gigs was opening for Maiden on a secret show that kicked off the Fear of the Dark tour. They also performed with Bruce shortly after he left Maiden.

I disagree with Ytse Jam being the best song or even a very good instrumental. It has moments but, like the rest of the album, it is pretty pedestrian by DT standards.

I do like Afterlife. Nice riff and some good hooks. A Fortune In Lies, Killing Hand, and Only A Matter of Time are also fun.

I think I’m at a point where I enjoy the album for what it is but also appreciate that the band really doesn’t start until Images and Words.

Back