Dream Theater

had never heard of the Cleaning Out the Closet cd. A fan club only release from years ago that features the 2 new additions to the setlist To Live Forever and Don't Look Past Me. TLF is available on Amazon (included on compilation cd i had heard of but never bought hilariously titled Greatest Hit and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs), but DLPM i had to YouTube to find. It opens with an audio sample by Robert DeNiro from The Deer Hunter

Talk about deep cuts! I haven't heard of either one of those songs. I see that they're replacing the astonishing songs though, and I'm completely ok with that.

Honestly, I think these deep cuts are too deep. I like that they're experimenting, but couldn't one of them have been a deep cut and one been a...less...deeper cut? It's very obvious that they are dropping The Astonishing songs and adding these super obscure B-sides to say, "We're sorry for The Astonishing double tour, fans, but you'll love these!" In reality, I feel like most of the fanbase (myself included) would rather hear a main album song they haven't played in awhile instead of something I can literally only hear on middling quality YouTube vids.

Without giving anything away, is it considerably different than the rest of the tour?

I
don't like
the setlist.

Would've been way better if they did all of SFAM live instead, because it's easier for LaBrie and those songs sound better live anyway. Also don't like that they are wasting time on the B-sides and covers and shit.

I
don't like
the setlist.

Would've been way better if they did all of SFAM live instead, because it's easier for LaBrie and those songs sound better live anyway. Also don't like that they are wasting time on the B-sides and covers and shit.
SFAM? Can't find a studio title that matches that abbreviation

I
don't like
the setlist.

Disregard. Had a brain cramp. Figured it out

Quite extravagant setlist choices, aren't they? Were I to see them on this tour, I would probably prefer a "less deep cut" to substitute one of them but I appreciate the choice to play songs that have either never or very rarely seen the light of day. It's I&W era stuff as well so it fits in well with the rest.

2 songs from the Astonishing, gift of music & our new world

Still keeping my response marked as spoiler in case othwrs don't want to know what was dropped

Thinking on it a bit, what I actually would have preferred is after Hell's Kitchen, they go right into Lines In the Sand. It would take up about the same amount of time in the set, and I'm sure it would go over really well as people would be a lot more familiar with it than 2 super obscure songs.

@MrKnickerbocker, @Detective Beauregard, I'm assuming you guys are going to the Chicago show on Friday. You guys down for a pre-show meetup?

Yes, sir! I'd be down. I work til 5, so I could be downtown by about 5:45ish and I believe the Detective works til the same. Maybe we could plan on meeting somewhere for food and a pint beforehand? There's a couple pubs with food nearby (Elephant & Castle, Emerald Loop) but both are rather expensive. Also a Billy Goat Tavern nearby that would be much cheaper/more casual.

Awesome! My buddy who I'm going to the show with also gets off work at 5 I believe so anytime after 5:30 would probably work out well. The Billy Goat Tavern sounds good to me. :)

Back