Dream Theater Survivor 2013: Results Thread - A Change of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
As I said in one of the other five million survivors, "hate" is a strong word. However, compared to the songs from earlier albums that the 'Systematic Chaos' songs are/have been up against, the 'Systematic Chaos' songs just don't stand up to them. I think it's probably their weakest album, but others may say that 'Falling to Infinity' is their weakest album.

Systematic Chaos is almost their weakest album, but IMO, the two lowest is a tie between When Dream and Day Unite and the horrific Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

I'll go with hate. And TMOLS would probably be in my bottom 3 DT songs.

Welcome to the Dark Side, Darth Mosh. :jedi:

Systematic Chaos is almost their weakest album, but IMO, the two lowest is a tie between When Dream and Day Unite and the horrific Black Clouds & Silver Linings.
I like the first album. 'Black Clouds and Silver Linings' is a strange album. I love the first two songs but I think the rest of that album includes some of their weakest material. We'll see what happens with those songs soon I guess.

I can't stand Rite of Passage, Wither is meh, The Shattered Fortress is one of those novelty songs that I can enjoy every now and again. I like everything else. I think the problem is that the songs are so unnecessarily long that there are a bunch of parts that bring down an otherwise awesome song. For example, Nightmare would be in my top ten if it ended after the Beautiful Agony section.

Yeah, I hate Systematic Chaos as well. Overlong songs filled with wankery and the cheesiest lyrics the band has ever written.

Pretty much. The sad part is that it was probably their most organic album since FII.

That was the best word I could think of. What I mean is, they didn't start writing it with a particular style or concept in mind. Unlike Octavarium, which had that whole 5/8 thing and they wanted to write more commercial songs. SC was them going back to writing whatever came out naturally, and it wasn't very good. My only guess is that they've had to learn how to do that again, because every album since SC has been better than the last IMO.

Systematic Chaos for me is a meh album. But I still can enjoy it. In the Presence of Enemies and Ministry of Lost Souls are in my top 10. Yes I even like the "chugging" section. Constant Motion is pretty solid. Repentance is good until the second part with the apologies comes in. Prophets of War and Forsaken are meh. The Dark Eternal Night is a perfect example of a good song ruined. The first few minutes are amazing, despite the awful lyrics. Then that middle section comes in and just ruins the song. 4:50 just makes no sense at all. However despite these imperfections it is still an enjoyable album.

Black Clouds is nowhere near as good as Systematic Chaos.
The only song I enjoy are The Shattered Fortress and The Count of Tuscany. A Nightmare to Remember is honestly kind of boring. A Rite of Passage is meh. I can't stand Wither, and I haven't listened to the Best of Times enough to properly evaluate it. Both albums have pretty awful lyrics.

Eliminated:
Ministry of Lost Souls

Promoted:
In the Presence of Enemies
Dark Eternal Night

Black Clouds & Silver Linings joins the battle!

Pull me Under
A Nightmare to Remember
Rite of Passage
Wither
Best of Times
Raw Dog

Back