Dream Theater Survivor 2013: Results Thread - A Change of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Root of all Evil
Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough

I just realized that I dislike half of Octavarium

Beyond
Endless
Honor
All Octavarium songs except Root, Sacrificed and Octavarium.

Seriously, what the hell is it that you guys see in Honor Thy Father? That song gives me a headache. Pure pretentious hardcore crap that Portnoy so desperately loves. Not only doesn't it anything memorable, it goes on for too long as well.

These Walls is ok, Panic Attack, Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium are among some of the best Dream Theater songs.
If Dream Theater was Iron Maiden, then Octavarium is the album Dance of Death

I certainly feel the same way about that album as I do Dance of Death....Lots of fillers and nothing really memorable save a few tracks.

I like Octavarium a lot. Sure the songs are commercial, but it's very melodic and has some really good stuff. The title track is my favorite song of all time.

Honor Thy Father has some of DT's best riffs. The way the guitar plays against the drums in the intro creates some nice tension that releases with a cool proggy riff. The verse riff is something that could've been written by Maiden. The instrumental section is also something different for DT. Rather than a bunch of crazy unisons and solos, it's an intense riff fest that's constantly building up. I like how Rudess' solo is this simple melodic passage that grows in intensity rather than him noodling like usual. It has noodling at the end, but at least it came out of something. I think it's a great song with lots of good rhythmic qualities and great riffs. It's one of their best heavier songs.

The way the guitar plays against the drums in the intro creates some nice tension

Nice tension? I think it just sounds bland and stupid.

The verse riff is something that could've been written by Maiden.

It's the only good thing about the song. Shame its ruined afterwards by Tool (a band that I dislike) rip-off rhythmic(?) vocals, uninspired singing and a ridiculous pinch harmonic filled riff by Petrucci.

Rather than a bunch of crazy unisons and solos, it's an intense riff fest

Where no riff sounds good.

that's constantly building up.

To nowhere.

I I like how Rudess' solo is this simple melodic passage that grows in intensity

Dragging for too long sure manages to grow some intensity, only in my head because of the amount of boredom I'm facing.

The part where Rudess and Petrucci masturbate with their instruments doesn't sound that cool either. Now, I like me some odd rhytmic patterns, but not when they're not filled into a solid atmosphere or a melody. Hit-stop-hit-hit-stop-hit-stop-hit(sustained)-stop thing gets old.

If they paid more attention to writing music rather than connecting their songs to mathematics they'd probably be much better. :D

It was a cool idea, but the problem was that the songs didn't really grab me. There was some stuff I liked, but meh.

Do you listen to math rock? You'd probably love it :p

Tool are super technical though and do things like writing the Fibonacci sequence into the number of syllables in a line. That's right up your alley.

I don't care about technicality or complexity, not anymore at least. I'm all in for atmosphere these days.

Eliminated:
The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough

Beyond This Life
Honor Thy Father
These Walls
Panic Attack
Sacrificed Sons

+ Endless Sacrifice, forgot to click on it.

Back