Dream Theater Survivor 2013: Results Thread - A Change of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Looking Glass and Illumination Theory are the best two. Bigger Picture is up there too but apparently I'm the only one who thinks that.

Bigger Picture is up there too but apparently I'm the only one who thinks that.
You're not alone now, I now like the Bigger Picture a lot! After it got eliminated, I started to enjoy it. I regret voting for it.
Surrender to Reason may just be in my top 10 though.

Both the Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason bore me to death. The intros are the sole solid points of both songs.

Surrender to Reason gets really good at 1:16. Then at 2:32 I think we hit the climax of the album. If I heard this song live, I think I would begin to cry because there's just so much emotion there. The Bigger Picture feels like just an all around epic song.

That's the cool thing about DT12, even though none of the songs pass the 8 minute mark, there's so much variety and building within songs like TBP and Surrender to Reason that they still have an epic quality to them.

Unfortunately I feel as though that's what DT12 was lacking. The album was disappointing to me because A Dramatic Turn of Events set the bar really high with the epics like Breaking All Illusions and Bridges in the Sky. Don't get me wrong DT12 is still good, but it's nowhere near the quality of ADTOE. I'm still mixed on this album, The Enemy Inside, Bigger Picture, Surrender to Reason, and Behind the Veil are clearly the best, but still none of them stand up to BitS, BAL, LNF and Outcry

One of my biggest beefs with DT12 is the lack of quality build ups, exact opposite of what Mosh just described. Songs from DT12 don't have hooks that get you going and they don't actually build up to anywhere. I don't buy some riffs thrown in together leading to a slow, cheesy chorus as "building up". The only songs on the album that actually have build ups are The Looking Glass and The Enemy Inside. And The Enemy Inside's riffs sound uninspired.

One of my biggest beefs with DT12 is the lack of quality build ups, exact opposite of what Mosh just described. Songs from DT12 don't have hooks that get you going and they don't actually build up to anywhere. I don't buy some riffs thrown in together leading to a slow, cheesy chorus as "building up". The only songs on the album that actually have build ups are The Looking Glass and The Enemy Inside. And The Enemy Inside's riffs sound uninspired.
Bigger Picture: 5:13 to the end. I think it's awesome.

Looking Glass has all kinds of good melodies. I was kinda worried when people started talking about it being a Rush ripoff, but they got it right.

Wow. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's the only Dream Theater song he's ever heard. But I'm grateful that his vote didn't get Bridges in the Sky eliminated, I would've been mad beyond belief.

Eliminated:
Surrender to Reason
Behind the Veil

Promoted:
The Looking Glass
Illumination Theory

The quarterfinals begin!

Gonna continue this here:
Wow. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's the only Dream Theater song he's ever heard. But I'm grateful that his vote didn't get Bridges in the Sky eliminated, I would've been mad beyond belief.
Honestly I'm not sure if his votes should count. Voting for every song on the list is counterproductive and pretty close to trolling. I suppose it depends on what everyone else thinks though.

Your Majesty
Fortune in Lies
Trial of Tears
Root of all Evil
Dark Eternal Nightmare to Remember
Looking Glass
+ Pull Me Under (Forgot to vote for it)

Gonna continue this here:
Honestly I'm not sure if his votes should count. Voting for every song on the list is counterproductive and pretty close to trolling. I suppose it depends on what everyone else thinks though.
I also agree. With him voting like this, Pull Me Under is certain to make the top 10.

Maybe you should listen to all the songs before voting. You shouldn't ruin the survivor for the rest of us who actually listened to them all.

Back