DREAM THEATER ALBUMS SURVIVOR 2017: Results -> Images & Words wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Awake
Six Degrees

Dramatic Turn is a better album than Six Degrees in almost every way imaginable. I'll admit that Glass Prison and Blind Faith (as well as much of Great Debate, at least conceptually) are amazing, but the rest of the album is drawn out and boring in comparison.

Images and Scenes are in my Top 5, but so is Train. The other two? Probably the self-titled and either Awake or Falling. Either way, Train > Awake.

Dramatic Turn is a better album than Six Degrees in almost every way imaginable.

Dramatic lacks power. It has very nice musical moments but the mix sounds dull. Six Degrees, on the other hand, sounds huge, each instrument is big and heavy. SDOIT is not the greatest collection of songs ever but I like what direction they were headed back then.

Dramatic lacks power.
This, and also the fact that the drum parts were not written by a drummer (and it shows), and that it is close to a "conceptual parody" of I&W (tracks with the same overall "function" as on the 1992 album, in the same order more or less). In other words, it is too artificial and lacks originality - which is what DT is about in my opinion- although a few songs are pleasant.

Six Degrees is miles better than Dramatic Turn. Former is the band's most experimental work, latter is the band's most by the book work. The songs overall are just way more exciting as well.

When it comes to DT, I find it very difficult to rank each album based on song quality alone. I'm also taking into account originality, artistic creativity, production etc. SDOIT is one of the better-sounding DT albums and also a very professional one in terms of songwriting capabilities. What I mean is that they weren't afraid to experiment and it mostly paid off. Some inconsistencies are bound to be present in an album of such nature. My main beef is that the songs on CD 1 are perhaps too long and get boring at times, hence seeming less appealing. SDOIT songs are not ones that I regularly listen to but when I do, they are a blast and offer something that few DT albums do. Random example: the chorus in The Great Debate sounds fresh, catchy and unlike anything else DT has done. Turn to the liiiight. Not to mention, everyone shines on SDOIT - absolutely wonderful chemistry between the instruments. Everyone has their chance to shine, from Myung's booming intro in The Glass Prison to Jordan's eerie ending of Disappear.

When it comes to DT, I find it very difficult to rank each album based on song quality alone. I'm also taking into account originality, artistic creativity, production etc. SDOIT is one of the better-sounding DT albums and also a very professional one in terms of songwriting capabilities. What I mean is that they weren't afraid to experiment and it mostly paid off. Some inconsistencies are bound to be present in an album of such nature. My main beef is that the songs on CD 1 are perhaps too long and get boring at times, hence seeming less appealing. SDOIT songs are not ones that I regularly listen to but when I do, they are a blast and offer something that few DT albums do. Random example: the chorus in The Great Debate sounds fresh, catchy and unlike anything else DT has done. Turn to the liiiight. Not to mention, everyone shines on SDOIT - absolutely wonderful chemistry between the instruments. Everyone has their chance to shine, from Myung's booming intro in The Glass Prison to Jordan's eerie ending of Disappear.

I can agree that Six Degrees is mixed very well, and that the first disk (excluding most of Disappear) is brilliant. Unfortunately, aside from a few brief moments, the title track does not hold my attention. The melodies, the instruments... it just isn't catchy to me in the way the first disk is.

I look at the title track as individual tracks, even though I know they were written as a one piece. I think the tracks sound pretty standalone, you can easily take them out of context and they're fine. I like Solitary Shell and Test That Stumped Them All a lot, the rest isn't as good.

I hold the album in high regard because of the first disc mostly. Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Misunderstood is a great three track run.

yi1wT33.jpg

Top 14
Train Of Thought
06. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
07. Falling Into Infinity
08. Octavarium
09. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Dream Theater
11. Systematic Chaos
12. A Change Of Seasons
13. The Astonishing
14. When Dream & Day Unite

If SDOIT were just disc 1, it might be worthy of the top 4. Hell, Glass Prison is my favorite DT song ever. But the flaws on the second disc (and Disappear) should keep it far away.

Well, shit. This survivor was actually going pretty well, but then you rascals went and eliminated the best album.

I'm not mad, just disappointed. You guys were raised better than this. One of these days you're going to have to learn that your actions have consequences. What would your mothers think? :nonono:

Images & Awake.

yi1wT33.jpg

Top 14
Awake
05. Train Of Thought
06. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
07. Falling Into Infinity
08. Octavarium
09. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Dream Theater
11. Systematic Chaos
12. A Change Of Seasons