Does Maiden care anymore?

Typical response to any criticism:
i) not a real fan
ii) Band plays to their own satisfaction
iii) You are annoying
Hi All. I know SMX just said something, but lets keep it nice and civil.

The points 2 and 3 have merit but lets assume that if you are not a spam-bot, that anyone that took the time to register an account is a fan.

Not just picking on you @Jadukor, just pointing out that we can have discussions about what we like and dislike about Maiden without making a fight.

Hi All. I know SMX just said something, but lets keep it nice and civil.

The points 2 and 3 have merit but lets assume that if you are not a spam-bot, that anyone that took the time to register an account is a fan.

Not just picking on you @Jadukor, just pointing out that we can have discussions about what we like and dislike about Maiden without making a fight.
I would love that. Not here to pick a fight. I want to be able to express my opinion without being classified into categories thats all

Last edited:
If any Maiden fan doesn’t like the old stuff or the new stuff, the artwork, the tours and stage sets etc then that’s totally their prerogative and makes for some interesting chats on this ‘ere forum. But to accuse them of not caring and effectively going through the motions is absurd and very disrespectful.

You ask if they had five years on their hands what’s their excuse? Well would that be excuses like a massive world tour promoting TFF that ran for a year and saw them perform nearly 100 gigs in 35 odd different countries?

Followed closely by the ME tour that contained 5 different legs and again consisted of 100 gigs in another 30 or so countries?

The fact that they are all in their mid to late fifties (sixties in Nicko’s case) and actually have er..like families and a life outside of Maiden?

The small matter of Bruce suffering from and being treated for Cancer. Unless you or anyone close to you has had this evil disease, believe me you have no idea of what it and the subsequent treatment does to you.

Before anyone says the album was finished before Bruce was diagnosed, well you don’t just wake up one day with full blown Cancer. It often attacks and wears your body down for months before the symptoms become apparent. Even someone with Bruce’s appetite for life would probably have had spells when it affected him even before he was aware he was ill.

Getting together and writing and recording a new album, whatever your opinions of how easy, is I would imagine still a fairly time consuming and stressful undertaking. Even more so when your all living in different parts of the world and have diverse interests outside of the music business.

It they didn’t care and were just going through the motions why bother to put out a double album? Hey just knock out half a dozen
or so songs, chuck in a cover of two if they really can’t be arsed and put it out as a single album, hey the mugs will still buy it. But that’s not the Maiden way is it and you know it?

Lastly if your fed up of paying for it, well no one asks you too, it’s your choice brother.

Maiden will still keep rolling on with or without anyone’s approval, and to me, therein lies their strength and what makes them to so many people such a great fucking band.

I would love that. Not here to pick a fight. I want to be able to express my opinion without being classified into categories thats all

Jadukor, have you had a chance to check out our commentary section?
Lots of discussion on every Maiden song ever recorded, positive and negative.
Very rarely does it descend into the type of finger-pointing you are concerned about.

The premise of this thread is provocative, but it is worth discussion.
Posts like Hermod's above is the standard for this forum and the best way to respond.
They are also the best way to start a discussion too.

I see another problem,i cant remember any reference of the way and the time they spent in the studio recording,but im nof friend of that thing of going at the studio and create songs and record it.

I think its the problems with big bands,when they are old they live in different parts of the planet,they have families and many other hobbys and they cant go 4 months to create together and then go to the studio.

I think when they recorded piece of mind,they went to reharese together as a band and then go tu studio.

[QUOTEThey're artists. They create. You respond. They owe you nothing.[/QUOTE]

One could argue that they owe their fans a lot, actually...

I just realised how much Steve Harris cares. I read in the bio today that he thought it was a blessing they cut down on the touring in 2003 (Maiden). And now he's out touring with BL.
I don't quite get the logic of first saying Maiden must do less touring (fewer shows, bigger venues), then cram into your schedule more touring with a side project on....SMALLER VENUES!

I get the feeling today Maiden is just a side project rather than the main concern of key members in the band. And it tells in the lazy attitude towards everything, from music videos, to artwork, to production...

I think Maiden care a lot about their fans and their music. But primarily they want to please themselves. As long as they continue to enjoy making music and are healthy then we should enjoy the ride with them....SOL is a great song btw.

I just realised how much Steve Harris cares. I read in the bio today that he thought it was a blessing they cut down on the touring in 2003 (Maiden). And now he's out touring with BL.
I don't quite get the logic of first saying Maiden must do less touring (fewer shows, bigger venues), then cram into your schedule more touring with a side project on....SMALLER VENUES!

Maiden decided to scale back their tour schedules for the benefit of the whole band. Just look at their 80s tours, with 150+ dates a year, with near to no breaks. This put massive stress on everyone, especially Bruce, whose voice was shot by the end of '88.

By touring less extensively, they'll give a better show!

And regarding British Lion, this year has had no live activity by Maiden at all, so Steve has decided to go out and tour the UK more with it, because previously he's only about 5 dates at a time with the band. It gives him something to do whilst Bruce recovers from his treatment in the time that they should have been on tour.

In regards to him performing in smaller venues, do you really think he'll fill out arenas and stadiums on his namesake alone? I don't think so. That's why he's playing crappy little clubs.

They'll be back on the road for the next couple of years, starting next year, which will mean Iron Maiden will become everyone's responsibility again, and BL will go on a hiatus until they've finished touring The Book of Souls.

What I'm saying, is if I buy a bottle and it says MILK on it, I don't want to find it's actually water, u dig?

Caveat emptor, my friend.
You can listen to an entire album and learn an entire set list without spending a cent.

@PlayClassics! do you know what sane people do when they hear something that's not quite to their liking? They put down the headphones and go" Oh well, I didn't like that too much, maybe some of their other songs will be better" and then they go about their business....

Complaining about this is futile and at worst rather unhealthy for you...Especially since it sounds like you've been stuck in this mode for 15 years.

A Maiden tour is a far cry from a British Lion tour. It's high pressure and there's so much money at stake for promoters, venues etc, not only the band, that they absolutely must be top level professionals for the full duration of the tour. British Lion shows must feel more like a hobby gig to Steve, or a gentle workout. It's so relaxed. They perform at scruffy little venues which have 'dressing room this way notes' taped on the doors. They've been known to eat at the pub across the road, or wander about outside the venue and sign stuff. Steve has been known to pop his head around from behind the scenes to do a quick photo of the crowd on his phone. It's a very different atmosphere.

Back