Do you have a segment you love in a song you dont?

I think this song is miles ahead anything they did after FOTD album. But this is is just me I guess.
"anything" is a bit much, in my opinion. But "lots of songs" would represent my appreciation better. "CoM" is the kind of song Maiden doesn't know how to compose anymore, barring a few exceptions (that is: short, simple rockers, midtempo or not). What really bothers me with "CoM" though, is how Nicko messes up resuming the tempo for the chorus, after the instrumental part.

Reactions: Gk1
In my opinion, the instrumental breaks in "The Duellists" and in "Quest For Fire" fail to make up for the rest of these fillers, but are still very enjoyable.

The Duellists is a filler :nonono: I think it is a hidden gem from the album and it is essential Maiden song !

I like Chains Of Misery - a bit short song, but has a great solo and chorus. I like the whole sound of the FOTD album and especially the sound of the Nicko drums. (though, I don't like that much the sound of his drums on The X Factor album)

The Duellists is a filler :nonono: I think it is a hidden gem from the album and it is essential Maiden song !
It's funny, people keep saying that Powerslave's outer four are classics and the inner four are filler... yes, there is an interesting thing going on there with which songs became classics and which didn't, but Powerslave flows so goddamn well from track to track - if this is filler, it's the best filler ever.

Well, I have changed my opinion on Drifter, but the solo by Adrian on this song is fantastic !

The solos on Weekend Warrior are so good - actually, the whole instrumental section is top-notch.

The Unbeliever, Fortunes Of War and The Edge Of Darkness all have a great twin-lead guitar melodies. Look For The Truth has a beautiful intro and The Aftermath has a top-notch solo by Janick - like the solo made by him on Como Estais Amigos.

Last edited:
It's funny, people keep saying that Powerslave's outer four are classics and the inner four are filler... yes, there is an interesting thing going on there with which songs became classics and which didn't, but Powerslave flows so goddamn well from track to track - if this is filler, it's the best filler ever.

Flash Of The Blade (great chorus and fast tempo riff) and Back In The Village (the chorus on BITV is a bit weak) are great fast songs - some of the fastest songs in the Maiden discography along with BQOBD ! Though, the four eternal classics are magnificent !

The only weak thing on this album for me is Losfer Words (big 'Orra) - I still can't stand that they have added an instrumental to the album.... :mad:

I really like the first two/three minutes of The Legacy, but I can't help liking the rest of the song as much as most of the others on AMOLAD. I always thought it was a good but sadly wasted intro.

I'd go with Janick's solo in The Man of Sorrows - short, sweet, and very Ritchie Blackmore-eqsue. Easily one of Jan's best (it sits quite comfortably at number 3 on my Top Ten of his solos). I wouldn't say I don't like the song, but it's the only song off Book of Souls that didn't really "click" with me.

Last edited:
3:26–3:53, "Weekend Warrior". I don't care so much for the solos, but this little bit is beautiful! The main riff is also very nice. Another ones for me are the "Gangland" and "Drifter" intros.

Can't think of a Maiden example, but I love the chorus of Bruce's Sacred Cowboys even though the rest of the song sucks.

The filler talk, I think, stems mostly from the fact that Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) and The Duellists are very similar except for the instrumental sections.

Flash of the Blade gets underappreciated by being put under the filler group.

The Duellists, when I first heard it, definitely reminded me of Losfer Words and Where Eagles Dare put together. But there’s just so much stuff going on in all three that they can be listened to without comparisons.

I think that a lot of great melodies and Dave's solos were wasted on NPFTD and FOTD.
Dave's solo in Public Enema is my second best from him, after his 1st Powerslave solo.
Fates Warning has great guitar harmony
Weekend Warrior instrumental part is very good.
Dave's solo in Chains of Misery kicks asses
Adrian's solos in Coming Home and Wildest Dreams

I think that a lot of great melodies and Dave's solos were wasted on NPFTD and FOTD.
Dave's solo in Public Enema is my second best from him, after his 1st Powerslave solo.
Fates Warning has great guitar harmony
Weekend Warrior instrumental part is very good.
Dave's solo in Chains of Misery kicks asses
Adrian's solos in Coming Home and Wildest Dreams

You don't like Coming Home :eek: That is a great song with beautiful solos and a great melancholic chorus ! One of the best reunion slower tempo songs.

Well, I don't. I agree it's melodic and has great solos. It's just that it's too radio friendly for my taste, and the lyrics are a bit of WY theme recycled. WY is also a little bit commercial, but it's theme fits great into SIT loose concept of time passing by... Again, it's my opinion, respect you not agreeing with that.

Well, I don't. I agree it's melodic and has great solos. It's just that it's too radio friendly for my taste, and the lyrics are a bit of WY theme recycled. WY is also a little bit commercial, but it's theme fits great into SIT loose concept of time passing by... Again, it's my opinion, respect you not agreeing with that.

I like melodic songs a lot, probably that's why Maiden are my favorite band :) I was just surprised that you don't like the song. Coming Home and Blood Brothers are the best slow tempo songs since the reunion. #radio friendly = glam metal

I like the rhythm on Coming Home that is played by Adrian (it is similar to 2MTM) - Wasted Years is another Adrian masterpiece !

Agree on Blood Brothers and Wasted Years. And Maiden melodies actually got me into Maiden music as well.
But, we disagree on some other things...
And no glam metal, for God's sake :)

Back