• Run To The Hills

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Empire Of The Clouds

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
#140-136:

140 - Run Silent Run Deep

No Prayer is an album I find difficult to hate, but also find difficult to love. The plethora of decent but not great songs that it contains are the reason, and Run Silent Run Deep is a great example. There's not a section of the song that I strongly dislike. The verses are decent, and it's nice to hear the gallop on this album, and the chorus could definitely be worse. The solo's not bad, and...well, you get the idea. On the other hand, no part of this song really reaches out to me. It's pretty much the epitome of an inoffensive song.
This song is very raw, and aggressive. And contains fantastic bass playing. There are two solos and a great harmony.
138 - Tailgunner

Much as Holy Smoke suffers from comparisons to Die With Your Boots On, this song is inevitably going to suffer in comparison to the stellar Aces High, and indeed even to the raucous fun of Death or Glory. However, it seems unfair to just say "there are better plane songs" when this song definitely does some interesting things.
It does other things. A very different song.
Unfortunately, in what I can only assume was some twisted expression of artistic irony, the "climb into the sky, never wonder why" is immediately followed by the chorus plummeting back to Earth with the Tailgunner lines. It's an odd feeling, as with most choruses I either like it or dislike it in its entirety rather than liking half and hating the other half.
While the words "Tailgunner, you're a Tailgunner" may sound simple, listen to music in between / right after it. It answers these words. Only the Good Die Young has simple lines as well (2nd half only: "Only the Good Die Youuuung", but listen to how the music plays its part.
Listening to Maiden is more rewarding (or expands everything in such a way, you can get more out of it) when the music gets at least as much as attention / appreciation as the words and vocals.
137 - The Unbeliever

When this ends at 3:37, and silence suddenly and momentarily descends, it's an interesting part of the song. I find it interesting because this song seems a lot more adventurous and exploratory than many of the other songs mentioned so far, and, to its credit, doesn't seem content to sit still on one section for too long.
In this song you tend to lean more on the negatives where I lean on the positives. I find that mid piece so good, that this song landed in my top 10. Sometimes, certain parts of songs are so great, that other parts feel less important, even if they are less good (not that I don't enjoy these verses and choruses: the verses are original and the choruses are memorable, I love that lead guitar underneath).

This song is very raw, and aggressive. And contains fantastic bass playing. There are two solos and a great harmony.

It does other things. A very different song.

While the words "Tailgunner, you're a Tailgunner" may sound simple, listen to music in between / right after it. It answers these words. Only the Good Die Young has simple lines as well (2nd half only: "Only the Good Die Youuuung", but listen to how the music plays its part.
Listening to Maiden is more rewarding (or expands everything in such a way, you can get more out of it) when the music gets at least as much as attention / appreciation as the words and vocals.

I agree with you that the music should get appreciation as well as the vocals - I was defending The Angel and the Gambler using this angle earlier on this thread! But vocals are still a big part of it for me, and they do the Tailgunner chorus more harm than good in my opinion. It's not about their simplicity either, but that I feel going from the soaring vocals to a comparatively monotone "Tailgunner, you're a Tailgunner" wasn't necessarily the best execution for the chorus.

It should be said though that if it seems I haven't fully clocked the intricacies of a part of a song, there's a reasonable chance I haven't. I am not a musician, and I don't necessarily have an ear for music. I find myself perpetually amazed by the people on this forum who can tell who plays which solo by ear. I am always happy to take another listen if there's a part of a song you feel I've missed though.

In this song you tend to lean more on the negatives where I lean on the positives. I find that mid piece so good, that this song landed in my top 10. Sometimes, certain parts of songs are so great, that other parts feel less important, even if they are less good (not that I don't enjoy these verses and choruses: the verses are original and the choruses are memorable, I love that lead guitar underneath).

I suppose it's because it's easier for me to lean one way, and you the other, particularly when you enjoy the mid-piece so much. For me the strong parts aren't quite that strong that I feel I have anything interesting to say about them. When we get to other songs with positive parts I consider more pronounced I'll definitely lean on them more.

Fear is the Key above The Nomad?
Oh, don't dissapont me...

Spoiler: The rest of the songs not yet listed will also by definition be above The Nomad... ;)

Maybe they could make a short version which is called The Angler and has only 33 choruses :D

147 back in the village is the major disappointment thus far being so low. This song has a lot going on. Again very interesting parts throughout . Love the layering. Never a dull moment. I feel village' is totally under appreciated and delivers big time. Bruce is at his best here too. Very creative song that straight rocks.

#135 - 131:

135 - Burning Ambition

It's immediately obvious that Burning Ambition is an old song that didn't make the album, but despite the obvious production and lack of an obvious direction of where Iron Maiden were headed, I've always thought that was not a bad song at all. The highlight for me is the tasty solo. The rest of the song is middling but decent. Burning Ambition is aptly named, because of the immediately promising statement it makes about a band then its infancy.

134 - Drifter

Drifter isn't an easy song to place. In some sense, it suffers from the problem of being fairly non-distinctive, as much of the Killers album feels to be. On the other hand, I do think it's rollicking good fun to listen to.

The short instrumental that starts nearly 2 minutes in is my favourite part of this song - it's very odd, yet somehow feels appropriate, and I'm not sure if a similar sort of sound appears throughout the rest of the discography.

This song suffers from not being as tight and focused as a lot of Maiden songs. In fact, I'm to this day not entirely sure what the message or the point of the song is. But I can forgive that to some degree, because it's still fun enough that I don't reach for the skip button every time it comes on.

133 - These Colours Don't Run

There was a time when I'd have called this song the worst on its album. Whilst I've grown to like it more since then, I still think it overshadows many much better songs on its album.

Whilst I've grown to like the verses, I've always felt the chorus to this song was weak, in the sense that I prefer more bombastic choruses to sing along to. In some sense this is less of a criticism of the song than a comment on my tastes. Would it have worked in a song like this? Perhaps not, but if they can afford the crowd "Whoa" section...

132 - I Live My Way

I Live My Way is, reasonably objectively, nowhere near the best written song Maiden has done, even on the album it comes from. However, I still wish it had been more than the B-Side to Man on the Edge, because it has one crucial ingredient so much of X Factor lacks - energy, and a sense of fun.

The main mention to this song obviously goes to its chorus riff. I'd say this is one of the most memorable riffs from the entire period. However, the rest of the song does go by so quickly that it doesn't seem to ground itself anywhere, and so in some senses I understand why it was a B-Side. Moreover, it certainly would feel out of place in the album. However, if the album included this and the even stronger Justice of the Peace and Judgement Day over some of the slower, more melancholy songs then I'm fairly certain X Factor would move up a spot in my album rankings.

131 - Total Eclipse

For a long time, I couldn't stand this song. It felt like the epitome of a B-Side, and I could easily understand why it lost the spot to Gangland.

Nowadays, I have a much better quality copy of the song, and my opinion has changed. Total Eclipse should have been on the album.

The whole of this song is pretty good. Indeed, I can very easily see why a lot of people rate it higher than I do. For me, placing this song where it is is less of a question of the quality of the song (which I feel is easily as polished as any of the album tracks) but more a question of style. This song stands out like a sore thumb on the album. This is neither good nor bad, but merely dependent on how much you like this more classic style of metal. For me, it's not quite there yet, but this song has real potential to continue growing on me.

This song stands out like a sore thumb on the album. This is neither good nor bad, but merely dependent on how much you like this more classic style of metal. For me, it's not quite there yet, but this song has real potential to continue growing on me.
Exactly why I prefer it to at least half of the album.

DJMayes' album order of first appearance
01) No Prayer for the Dying (least favourite song: Mother Russia, 160)
02) The X-Factor (least favourite song: Blood on the World's Hands, 159)
03) Powerslave (least favourite song: The Duellists, 158)
04) The Number of the Beast (least favourite song: Gangland, 156)
05) Brave New World (least favourite song: The Nomad, 154)
06) Killers (least favourite song: Innocent Exile, 150)
07) Piece of Mind (least favourite song: Quest for Fire, 149)
08) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (least favourite song: The Prophecy, 148)
09) Iron Maiden (least favourite song: Running Free, 146)
10) The Final Frontier (least favourite song: Isle of Avalon, 143)
11) Fear of the Dark (least favourite song: Fear is the Key, 139)
12) A Matter of Life and Death (least favourite song: The Legacy, 136)

DJMayes' non-album song* order of appearance
01) Invasion, 153
02) Virus, 151

03) Burning Ambition, 135
04) I Live My Way, 132

*from a group of six

Colours is the oddest choice so far for me.
It has everything I love about Maiden

#130 - 126:

130 - Childhood's End

Childhood's End is an interesting song. It has one of the most interesting and recognisable drum rolls in Maiden's entire discography. Indeed, it pretty much carries this song, along with the riff behind it. Without this I'd be tempted to write this song off as complete filler, but it really is a fantastic spot in an otherwise ordinary song. I really wish I had something more exciting to say than "standard song is otherwise saved by interesting musical theme" but that's pretty much it from me here. It's a cool song that I wouldn't immediately reach for but is always fun to listen to.

129 - Sun and Steel

For a long time I don't think I've given this song quite the props it deserves. I used to think this was the worst song on Piece of Mind. Whilst it's definitely one of the worse ones, I've grown attached to it recently and can see it on the way up. It's just great fun. The quick galloping verses are fun and lead into a surprisingly enjoyable chorus. The solo is at it's best around 2:15, though the rest isn't too bad. The ending of this song is always the bit that gets caught in my head afterwards, though.

"And it's rolling still..."

128 - Invaders

If you haven't noticed, there's a theme at this section of the list - the fun fillers. Invaders is a song that I very rarely press play on, but whenever it comes on I'm always surprised by how much better it is than I remember. The verses are nice, aggressive pieces of work, but the memorable part of the song is definitely the very odd chorus. This is unlike anything else Maiden have ever done, and it's very difficult to measure alongside the rest of the work.

Personally, I like it. It's not a standard chorus, and I find it difficult to rate it much higher than it is already - but it's always fun, and it's a chorus that, to its credit, sticks in my head much more vividly than others I will claim to like more.

127 - Como Estais Amigos

This song is a bit of a change of pace from the above, but no easier to discuss. This song is a weird one, on both the album it's on and the discography it comes from. I'm not into Maiden's more ballady songs on the whole, but this song definitely has plenty to offer. The instrumental part of this song, starting at 3:15, is utterly fantastic, for example. The rest of the song tends to fade from my memory quickly, but it's perfectly nice and complementary. It doesn't outlive its welcome, either.

This is the first Virtual XI song so I thought I'd talk a bit about the album. Virtual XI is my favourite Blaze album, by quite a margin. The reason is the entire feel of the album. Whereas I am constantly complaining about the feel and atmosphere of X Factor, Virtual XI, for all its flaws, feels like I am listening to a Maiden album, and that allows me to forgive a lot of the things it does wrong. The song-writing isn't as good. My favourite songs on X Factor beat my favourites on Virtual XI relatively comfortably. But I would much, much rather listen to this album all the way through, because it's got charm, it's got energy (drums aside) and is, in my opinion, severely underrated.

126 - Twilight Zone

As far as the Killers filler goes, this one is in my opinion the best. The verses feel not much different than before, but this song has a wonderful chorus.

This is one of the songs that reminds me that Paul Dianno was a pretty great singer back in the day. Whilst I don't like Killers as much as Iron Maiden, I do think Paul sings better on this album. He seems to try a lot more things, more ranges, and it suits him. His higher pitch on some of the songs is a nice contrast to his usual singing and I think it works quite well.

Nothing really wrong with those rankings. I don't mind Childhood's End though, but it gets lost in the mix to some of the stronger songs on Fear.

Nothing really wrong with those rankings. I don't mind Childhood's End though, but it gets lost in the mix to some of the stronger songs on Fear.

I'm at the point where I don't mind the songs remaining. I pretty much agree with you on Childhood's End which is unfortunate because as said, I do think it's got some interesting stuff going on.

Childhood's End has suffered a miserable life because of the album it belongs to. If it was released on any classic era or reunion era album it would be remembered as a pretty darn solid song. Top 50 for me.

I agree with everything else.

In general that's probably true but I love the Fear of the Dark album. I'd probably put it as my 4th favourite album (behind Dance of Death, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and The Book of Souls) because I genuinely have a lot of love for the album overall. I just think this is one of the weaker (though by no means weak) songs on the album.

Back