DIO

Absolutely. That mid piece is awesome especially.

Not sure how known this one is out here. I don't think I heard it before myself:

Love this comment (a reaction to people who criticize Malmsteen's solo):
As expected, the comments crack me up. If Malmsteen had played the original solo out of respect, people would have been bitching that he wasn't himself. When you see his name in the credits, you know what you're going to get. Christ, half of you nitwits would go to the circus and bitch about the elephants. Malmsteen does what he fucking pleases because he can. I like the mix ups. If I want to hear Joe's solo, I'll listen to it.

Lock Up The Wolves is an often overlooked masterpiece. Guitarist Rowan Robertson (only 17 at the time) created many fine riffs and was a wizard at guitar solos. It's quite bluesy at times and filled with epic songs: Born of the Sun, Hey Angel, the title track and My Eyes.

Perhaps try My Eyes first - the best acoustic guitar intro ever.

http://www.2kmusic.com/en/webvideo/dio/G9hSZIQPFB8/ronnie-james-dio-my-eyes

Last edited:
I agree that Lock up the Wolves is a very underrated album. I'm still missing Angry Machines, Killing the Dragon, and Master of the moon so it's probably about time I got on the ball and completed the Dio discography. Strange Highways was always one of my least favorites, but it's starting to grow on me over time though. I think I'd have to go with Last in Line as my favorite. I know Holy Diver is awesome, but I've probably played it out too much to the point that it doesn't have the same effect for me anymore.

Angry Machines is really very bad, except for the exceptional closing ballad, "This Is Your Life".

Killing the Dragon is a decent listen, but not very memorable. Worth picking up for some decent guitar playing, though.

I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Master of the Moon. Other than the opener (one of my favorite Dio songs ever), it's very slow paced, almost Sabbath or doom metal-paced, but I love the feel of the whole album.

Angry Machines is really very bad, except for the exceptional closing ballad, "This Is Your Life".

Killing the Dragon is a decent listen, but not very memorable. Worth picking up for some decent guitar playing, though.

I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Master of the Moon. Other than the opener (one of my favorite Dio songs ever), it's very slow paced, almost Sabbath or doom metal-paced, but I love the feel of the whole album.

Agreed on Machines.
I like Moon and agree with your take.
I like Dragon too. I find it similar in texture to Dream Evil.

I dislike Strange Highways and Angry Machines, which seem to follow the direction of Sabbath's Dehumanizer. Relatively seen, I find these monotone affairs. While interchangeable riffs keep piling up, captivating melodies and memorable solos can be counted on one hand.

After these albums, both Sabbath and Dio returned to their more catchy, melodic and atmospheric style (Cross Purposes (1994) & Magica (2000).

Up this point, I still(!) haven't listened properly to Lock Up the Wolves. Need to do that soon. That said, reading Jayman's comment on Strange Highways, I could give that (and other albums) a second chance as well, but I am not counting on a (much) better experience.

Last edited:
Lock Up The Wolves is an often overlooked masterpiece. Guitarist Rowan Robertson (only 17 at the time) created many fine riffs and was a wizard at guitar solos. It's quite bluesy at times and filled with epic songs: Born of the Sun, Hey Angel, the title track and My Eyes.
I just played the whole album and I indeed can conclude that it deserves attention. Didn't think the opener was that great but afterwards I got more and more into it. I was especially impressed by the guitar work. Unfortunately there's a lengthy chunk of lesser grabbing songs on the second half, in between the title track and the album closer, My Eyes (four tracks in a row).

Ronnie James Dio has been gone for five years as of tomorrow. In honor of the little man with the massive voice, let's spread the Dio love far and wide this weekend! Post your favorite Ronnie tracks, photos, memories, stories, or just throw up the horns.

Wendy Dio (Ronnie's wife) is holding three days of events in Los Angeles for Dio's family, friends, and fans:

http://www.diocancerfund.org/events/

The proceeds will go to the Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund. I wished I still lived in CA...used to be about 5 minutes from Forest Lawn Cemetery.

As usual, I'm celebrating RJD's legacy all weekend long by playing endless Dio (currently a 239 song playlist ranging from 1958 to his final demo recordings) and drinking mead from a goblet and beer from a Dio pint glass.

STAND UP AND SHOUT! \m/

Not realizing it at the time, of course, I saw Ronnie's last Southern California live performance (I think), on the Devil You Know Tour during the summer of '09.

I didn't see him on the final '09 tour, but I did see them in '07 in Chicago w/ Megadeth. He sounded absolutely phenomenal. I count myself lucky to have seen him three times in my life, once in '07, once in '02 FUCKING OPENING for The Scorpions and Deep Purple in IL, and once in '03 w/ Maiden at Madison Square Garden. That one was out of this world.

I live in Encino. Not a biker, so BBQ is more up my alley.

Same here, but I used to live in Glendale about 2 miles from their start position. Hell, I was really close to the cemetery where Dio is buried. This is probably the only time in my life where I'll say, "I wish I still lived in SoCal."

So now that I've listened to the entire Iron Maiden discography, it's on to the great Ronnie James Dio. I decided to start with his black sabbath albums and I got Heaven and Hell.
Wow, it's a classic. Neon Knights, Lady Evil and Wishing Well might be my favorites, but they're all good really.

Anyways, I know it's really up to me, but I'm torn in what direction I should go with Dio. I will get Mob Rules next to finish out his early Sabbath albums. I know he had Dehumanizer in 1992. I feel like I should go chronologically from Heaven and Hell, into Dio years and then back to Dehumanizer.
But there's Rainbow and Elf back in the 70s. Ahh what to do. I should just follow chronologically.

Back