DIO

Agreed. I like a few songs from Master of the Moon but as a whole album, I find it not that good.
I really like The Eyes and the solo in Death by Love is out of this world:

Other worthwhile albums that weren't mentioned yet:

Rainbow - On Stage
Dio - Magica

The Sabbath album Live Evil from 82 is also very cool. You get Dio's take on some of the classic Ozzy era Sabbath numbers.

Medieval themed? Huh? When?

Honestly, if you're new to Dio just go get all of the classic albums from Rainbow, Sabbath and his solo career and start your journey there.
From what I've read about the band Dio, not his entire body of work as a musician, was that Dio had many medieval themed lyrics. The imagery of Holy Diver has a lucifer-esque demon laying waste to a dark realm. Maybe fantasy might be a better term.

The Sabbath album Live Evil from 82 is also very cool. You get Dio's take on some of the classic Ozzy era Sabbath numbers.
I know this may be blasphemy to some metal fans on here, but I don't really care for Ozzy overall. From the few Dio-era Sabbath songs I've heard, he almost sounds better IMO than Ozzy ever did. I just can't get past ozzy's voice. He has a few good songs.

I don't think you are alone in that. From my experience there are many metal fans - particularly metal fans of power metal and traditional metal who worship Dio but don't really care that much for Ozzy. I personally love Ozzy era Sabbath - but more because of the tunes really.

When you say "he has a few good songs" I hope you mean Ozzy's solo career. ;)

I've heard some good songs from Ozzy Black Sabbath, as well as his solo career. I just like the Bruce Dickinson and Ronnie James Dio's of the world more than the Ozzy Osbournes. Paranoid seems to have the best songs from Sabbath that I like. I'm sure that's one of their classic albums.

Never liked Master of the Moon, I'd swap that for Sacred Heart, but that's just me.

Baaaah, I meant to say Sacred Heart, which is better than Dream Evil. I love Master of the Moon, it was probably his strongest record since the first 3-4 albums, imo.

That drum intro :yes:

It's worth mentioning that Rainbow was actually Ritchie Blackmore's project/playground. Blackmore was the guitarist for Deep Purple until 1974 when he left and formed Rainbow, but now the group is just as famous for being the proving grounds for Ronnie James DIO.

Last edited:
Sacred Heart, which is better than Dream Evil.
No.

Knick's list is nonetheless good. If you like "best of" compilations, I recommend The Dio Years by Black Sabbath and Catch The Rainbow: The Anthology (disc one is a very good selection from Rainbow's Dio years, and it also contains the best-sounding digital version of "Stargazer" available). The band Dio has several "best-of" comps, but I don't really recommend any of them -- and you really do need to own the entire Holy Diver album.

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that Rainbow was actually Ritchie Blackmore's project/playground. Blackmore was the guitarist for Deep Purple until 1974 when he left and formed Rainbow, but now the group is just as famous for being the proving grounds for Ronnie James DIO.

It's also worth mentioning that before Blackmore found them and re-named them Rainbow, that group with Dio on vocals was active on their own and known as Elf. Blackmore didn't form the band, he hired them to be "his project".

Reactions: Yax
That's true..but without Blackmore actually forming Rainbow, ELF would have been buried into nothingness...Had Dio on his own made himself noticed in other big name bands after that?...maybe...But the fact that DIO had already played with Blackmore made a big difference for his career.

I mean ELF only gained notoriety AFTER Dio gained popularity in Rainbow and Sabbath....if he hadn't that band would be long forgotten....

Last edited:
Rainbow Rising, Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Holy Diver and Last In Line are essential for any Iron Maiden fan.
The others are of lesser quality, but pretty much everything save perhaps Angry Machines has something worth your time.
Damn, man, you are on a fine journey.

Rainbow Rising, Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Holy Diver and Last In Line are essential for any Iron Maiden fan.
The others are of lesser quality, but pretty much everything save perhaps Angry Machines has something worth your time.
Damn, man, you are on a fine journey.
I actually have a Ronnie James Dio playlist on iTunes. Here it is (it is arranged chronologically):
Never More - ELF
Man on the Silver Mountain - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Sixteenth Century Greensleeves - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Catch the Rainbow - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Tarot Woman - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Starstruck - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Stargazer - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology (The Greatest RJD Song Of ALL)
Light in the Black - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Mistreated (live) - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Long Live Rock 'N' Roll - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Gates of Babylon - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Kill the King - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Rainbow Eyes - Rainbow, Catch the Rainbow Anthology
Entire Heaven and Hell album:
Neon Knights
Children of the Sea
Lady Evil
Heaven and Hell (the best song RJD did with Sabbath)
Wishing Well
Die Young
Walk Away
Lonely Is the Word
Entire Mob Rules album:
Turn Up the Night
Voodoo
The Sign of the Southern Cross
E5150
The Mob Rules
Country Girl (one my favorite Tony Iommi riffs)
Slipping Away
Falling Off the Edge of the World
Over and Over
Entire Holy Diver album:
Stand Up and Shout
Holy Diver (greatest song by the band Dio)
Gypsy
Caught in the Middle
Don't Talk To Strangers
Straight Through the Heart
Invisible
Rainbow in the Dark
Shame on the Night
Entire The Last in Line album:
We Rock
The Last in Line
Breathless
I Speed at Night
One Night in the City
Evil Eyes
Mystery
Eat Your Heart Out
Egypt (The Chains Are On)
King of Rock and Roll - Dio, Sacred Heart
Sacred Heart - Dio, Sacred Heart
Rock 'N' Roll Children - Dio, Sacred Heart
Dream Evil - Dio, Dream Evil
All the Fools Sailed Away - Dio, Dream Evil (my second-favorite song by Dio band)
Naked in the Rain - Dream Evil
Wild One - Dio, Lock Up the Wolves
My Eyes - Dio, Lock Up the Wolves
Time Machine - Black Sabbath, Dehumanizer
I - Black Sabbath, Dehumanizer (also noteworthy)
Strange Highways - Dio, Strange Highways
Lord of the Last Day - Dio, Magica
Fever Dreams - Dio, Magica
As Long As It's Not About Love - Dio, Magica
Killing the Dragon - Dio, Killing the Dragon
One More for the Road - Dio, Master of the Moon
Master of the Moon - Dio, Master of the Moon
The Man Who Would Be King - Dio, Master of the Moon
Atom and Evil - Heaven & Hell, The Devil You Know
Fear - Heaven & Hell, The Devil You Know
Bible Black - Heaven & Hell, The Devil You Know

Last edited: