DIO

Wyrdskein

Invader
I am a big fan of Ronnie J Dio, but I just can't get into his self titled band. Recommendations of a good DIO album would be appreciated. RJD is fantastic on the Rainbow and Sabbath albums, but DIO (I only have the 'collection') seem rather light and middle-of-the-road to me. Am I wrong?

Definitely Last In Line. I never really liked Holy Diver much. Last In Line is great though, Egypt is brilliant.

I'd definitely suggest Holy Diver.
Then Dream Evil, Sacred Heart and Last in Line are pretty good albums.

In my view the best four Dio albums are Holy Diver (an undisputed classic and masterpiece, and by far Dio's best album), Last in Line (some greatness, some filler), Dream Evil (All the Fools Sailed Away is perhaps my favorite Dio song other than the title track to Holy Diver), and Magica (a concept album with a silly story but some pretty awesome songs).  All that said, if you don't like the first seven songs on the "Collection" compilation album, you probably aren't going to like Dio. 

The only albums I wouldn't recommend for beginners are Angry Machines and Strange Highways. While I think they are good albums, their heavy doom broadside may turn new listeners off. I would say your best bet is getting the classic, Holy Diver, although I think The Last in Line is better. Also, show some love for Master of the Moon, my favourite "post-classic" (how I despise that word) album.

Perun said:
The only albums I wouldn't recommend for beginners are Angry Machines and Strange Highways. While I think they are good albums, their heavy doom broadside may turn new listeners off. I would say your best bet is getting the classic, Holy Diver, although I think The Last in Line is better. Also, show some love for Master of the Moon, my favourite "post-classic" (how I despise that word) album.
'Heavy doom' sounds good to me. I will post again when I have listened to some of these recommendations. Thanks guys.

Just listened to Holy Diver. I take back what I said, that album rocks.

Stand Up And Shout-I used to love this track and lately I didn't like it much. But I like it a lot again.
Holy Diver: I still don't think it's Dio's best song, but it's still pretty good
Gypsy: Not bad of a song, but it wasn't that memorable either
Caught in the Middle: This song was really good. Probably my favorite on the album
Don't Talk To Strangers: I never liked it before, but I like it now. Still don't think of it as a top 10 though
Invisible: The weakest on the album in my opinion
Rainbow In The Dark: Good song, my feelings didn't change about it
Shame on the Night: Reminds me of something Blackmore would write.

Overall I'd give it a 10. There is only one really weak song and the rest is really strong. I'm gonna play Last in Line now to compare.

I almost bought Lock up the Wolves a few weeks ago. Apparently it's a good thing I didn't. I have Evil Or Divine which was from the Killing The Dragon tour and the material on there (Push, Killing the Dragon, Rock And Roll) was really good, I thought.

I agree with Perun's advice.
Locked up the Wolves is still decent compared to the the two he did after that.

Caught in the Middle?

Basically follow SMX's advice, and you can always try LUTW a couple of years later.

By the way, I always say to people who wonder which albums/films/whatever to get first:

You don't have to get all the best albums first, you don't have to see all the best films first. At some point, you'd be done exploring good old music and cinema. Keep some of the best things for later, you're very young. It's cool to walk your own path. :)

When you buy an album and you like it less, so what, you might get used to it, and getting a better album afterwards is more rewarding. Best and better are subjective terms of course: you could always like an album less than expected and vice versa.

I just found something:

Listen to Stand Up And Shout riff, then to 2 Minutes To Midnight riff. Tell me what you think. :)

Yea I noticed that before too. They aren't so similar that I think one is taken from the other though.

They're pretty much the same. The only difference is that one is slowed down and the other is sped up...

But I don't think one is taken from the other.

I don't think they're pretty much the same. Maybe 2 chords are the same. I'll learn Stand Up And Shout on guitar tomorrow and see.

Back