Different review of Powerslave

The Saint

Powerslave
Staff member
The fear of imaginary gods: Iron Maiden's "Powerslave"

Keegan Keplinger

Sun Star

It's butt-rock, I know.

Maybe it's too graphic for some people, or just too silly for others; either way, I understand the immediate bias because Iron Maiden was an acquired taste for me too. It took about a week or two on the water, where you have to compromise for the airwaves with your crewmembers. Iron Maiden became completely reliable deck tunes, fueling the psychological engine with the determination necessary to overhaul miles of long-line gear. Once I got back to land, I couldn't help but expand my metal horizons.

Like Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden creates concept albums. Their bassist, Steve Harris is the creator and head writer for the band. He is the brain that directs the Kingdom of Eddie. Admittedly, Bruce Dickinson's vocals are the quickest thing to turn someone off to Iron Maiden (he used to be in opera) but he wasn't their original singer. They originally had one Paul Di'anno as their lead singer. Di'anno had a smoother voice and a ruder attitude; too rude: too many drugs, too rowdy, too much of a rocker for Iron Maiden. So we're stuck with the opera singer, but that's okay because Iron Maiden isn't about the singers.

Nicko McBrain (drums) Steve Harris (bass) and Adrian Smith (guitar) really tear up the thick of the album with their rythmo-harmonic fireworks: pairing rhythms, playing off each other, switching up; they are the backbone and the nervous system of the album.

"Powerslave" (obviously re-mastered) came cloaked in sleeve decorated with the artwork of sand and pyramids. The title track itself is a masterpiece lyrically. It's written from the perspective of an imaginary god or a delusional pharaoh. Musically, it opens out of a transition from the previous track (standard shred tune, "Back in the Village") and flings the album into a steady, hammering beat (with instrumental break, of course). Dickinson's unique vocal technique shines a bit more here too, creating a believable character instead of an operatic egocentric string of screeches and shrills (something I only let Robert Plant get away with).

As abruptly as "Powerslave" ends, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" begins. "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" was originally a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge about a mariner who brings a curse down on himself and his crew by shooting and killing the albatross (a bird that superstitious captains consider good luck). Iron Maiden chops the poem into grind-size pieces and shreds accordingly, instrumentals included.

"Flash of the Blade" and "The Duelists" (closer to the beginning of the album) both seem to be set later in time, when the sword led the stories. They're both clearly dominated by Dickinson's operatic vocals, but "The Duelists" has the standard badass power instrumental bridging the middle of the song to its conclusion. Dickinson's vocal style in "Flash of the Blade" works well for the verses, but I still can't get over the high-pitches he hits when singing the chorus. As much as I hate it, I've found myself singing along when I'm driving across Alaska. Please don't tell anyone that. Thank you.

"Powerslave" begins in a modern day setting with the jetfighter classic, "Aces High", giving listeners a look from inside the cockpit, and "Two Minutes Till Midnight" which shares a modern view on war and politics.

As you progress through the album, time reaches farther back to bring you a taste of the possibilities of a less inhabited and experienced world. In the time of "Powerslaves," man's progress was powered by fear of the unknown. Fear of imaginary gods.

Source: [a href=\'http://www.uaf.edu/sunstar/archives/20050308/powerslave.htm\' target=\'_blank\']UAF.edu Sunstar[/a]

Cheers

This Keegan Keplinger sure can write shitloads of bollocks. When it comes to bullshit, I much prefer what the Duke writes. At least it's entertaining. [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Bruce Dickinson's vocals are the quickest thing to turn someone off to Iron Maiden (he used to be in opera)[/quote]

huh!?!?! [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The Saint+Mar 12 2005, 11:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Saint @ Mar 12 2005, 11:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's butt-rock, I know.
[snapback]99704[/snapback]​
[/quote]
And that is the point I realized the rest of this "review" was going to be a pile of shit.

[!--QuoteBegin-Battlemaniacs+Mar 12 2005, 06:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Battlemaniacs @ Mar 12 2005, 06:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]huh!?!?! [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]99712[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I heard two weeks ago a cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody" with Bruce and an opera singer... Does someone know something about what I'm talking ?

[!--QuoteBegin-Iron Farmer+Mar 13 2005, 05:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Iron Farmer @ Mar 13 2005, 05:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I heard two weeks ago a cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody" with Bruce and an opera singer... Does someone know something about what I'm talking ?
[snapback]99757[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yes, it was with Montserrat Caballe [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Angry email has been released....

EDIT: Its a very ambiguous review anyway, crap....

GREAT MUSICIAN!

[!--QuoteBegin-Iron Farmer+Mar 13 2005, 04:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Iron Farmer @ Mar 13 2005, 04:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I heard two weeks ago a cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody" with Bruce and an opera singer... Does someone know something about what I'm talking ?
[snapback]99757[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I have the mp3 of that song.

Isn't Montserrat Caballe the singer Freddie Mercury dueted with for...
......BARCELOOOOOONAAAA!!!!!!
Sorry bout that [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Back on topic-ah, the good old non-metal fan reviewing a metal album. Talks....so....much....crap....

There's a garbage review of 'Powerslave' by a "journalist" (a mugger and backstabber) from the french magazine Rock'n'Folk in the July special issue about 68 years of rock'n'roll (in which they talk about Bob Marley, Aretha Franklin and Daft Punk !! :facepalm:)... They event can't spell Nicko's first name correctly... They are not journalists but complete zeros !!

RockNFolkJuillet2022SpécialHistoireRockNRoll.jpg
MaidenPowerslaveRockNFolkJuillet2022.jpg

The translation :

"There's nothing more exasperating for the critics than a band which finds success without their consent. Iron Maiden got murdered by all the part of human kind having a typewriter and, yet, its hilarious zombie has never finished thrilling generations of metalheads indulging in the two ultimate teen activities : air guitar and masturbation. No offense, that's how the world goes, the band still being at the top of its career after 35 years in lycra pants (spandex). Steve Harris and his band are now welcomed by all, as much for their longevity as for their integrity. However, a question remains : which of the band's 15 studio albums to place in the perfect records collection ? 'Killers' and its mix of punk/heavy metal ? 'The Number Of The Beast' with its numerous hits ? Rock&Folk has chosen 'Powerslave' for its pharaonic excess announced with its artwork. When the record is released in 1984 on EMI, the band is the group is made up of a nucleus still considered today as the historical staff : Bruce Dickinson and his howling, the double guitar attack Smith/Murray, Nico McBrain embarking rythm section with Steve Harris. This same band was already #3 in the charts the previous year with 'Piece Of Mind'. With growing wings, the band is leaving its football team and its pub to fly to the Bahamas, to the Compass Point Studio more precisely. Founded by Chris Blackwell, creator of the Island label, this little corner of paradise, where Terry Manning (producer and genius musician of Memphis) sometimes works, has already been the scene of a slew of great albums : AC/DC's 'Back In Black', B-52, Talking Heads' 'Remain in Light' and Grace Jones' 'Nightclubbing'. Sunglasses on the nose, shorts on buttocks, the group has reunited with its regular producer since 'Killers', a man responsible for the first Faces : Martin Birch. Mixing lyrical guitar and literary references ("The Duelists" from a Conrad's poem, "The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" an english poem of the end of the 18th century), the band is opening the record with two great hits : "Aces High" and "Two Minutes To Midnight". He honors his audience with some virtuoso guitars ("Back In The Village") and its b-side stays still today the longest of its history. In order to break some personal records, Iron Maiden enters straight #2 in the charts with this album. No one can beat Iron Maiden."

Back