Devin Townsend

We don't have to do in-depth reviews of live albums and rarity compilations though. There's 22 full-length studio albums + Devlab & The Hummer = 24.

And Ocean Machine was shortly re-released as a Devin Townsend album, but yeah :p

That actually sounds really good. I'm usually not crazy about his live releases but I may have to check this one out. Great scenery too.

Chad Kroeger of Nickelback is a guest on Devin's new album o_O

I don't really hate Nickelback because they are mostly annoying people in the US and aren't really that popular in Europe. But it's a really bizarre choice.

Wow... Due to Nickelback dude appearing on the album I was expecting some commercial rock album... not this. Interesting stuff.

Just listened to Genesis. Wow. A drummer, who can pull this off live may be one of the greatest drummers ever.

Love the signature Mike Keneally guitar/synth doubled solo, which is completely bonkers.

In a nutshell:
Record label: What is the genre of the song?
Devin: Yes.

I guess I got what I asked for. I thought his recent DTP run was beginning to sound stale and 'samey' and I wanted him to do something riskier, but this is...almost too much for me (and I loved the craziness of Deconstruction, but this is something else entirely). I'll give it some time and see how it fits into the overall narrative/flow of the album.

I guess I got what I asked for. I thought his recent DTP run was beginning to sound stale and 'samey' and I wanted him to do something riskier, but this is...almost too much for me (and I loved the craziness of Deconstruction, but this is something else entirely). I'll give it some time and see how it fits into the overall narrative/flow of the album.
I mostly agree with this. Apparently this is meant to be more of an overture? So I think it's OK.

Devin just dropped a new single The Spirits Will Collide, which contains a chorus that I needed for absolutely fucking years.

Also, Empath is out today.

Last edited:
After 2 months of listening to Empath I can say it's easily among my favorite top 5 albums from Dev's amazing "solo" career.
Although almost half of the album isn't even my cup of tea but I couldn't help to notice a curious sum of traits: Variety? check. Risky? check. Challenging? check. Technical? check. Trippy? check. Passionate and dramatic? check. Genesis alone covers almost everything this guy has done from SYL's debut to Transcendence. Plus It features all the elements present in my favorite Townsend albums, being the richest and more diverse record since 98's Infinity (my very favorite... Townsend released some out of this world stuff in the last 20 years but Infinity is just on another level). This graceful beast's intergalactic span goes from Chill Out stuff, Disco and something Enya would record to Industrial noise and pissed off blast beating SYL madness.
If you want a safe, easy listening record like Transcendence perhaps this album is not for you. However if you like to dare a little bit out of your acoustic safe zone and let youself go... definitely pick it!

8.25/10
Best Song: Evermore (Interstellar catz FTW!!!)

Last edited:
I finally decided to listen to Blackwater Park and The Drapery Falls has this noodling
And I was sure I heard it in Borderlands, or anything from Empath, but I couldn't find it.

And Devin has a new project. The first song from it is incredible!

Last edited:
And Devin has a new project. The first song from it is incredible!

Saw this yesterday and if anyone can bring new music to us in this time, it's Devy from his studio.

Back