Deja Vu

How good is Deja-Vu on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Deja-Vu' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'deja-vu'

What can I say abou it ? A song that is almost 100% done on harmonies and got Dave Murray´s name on it certainly is great. FUCKING GREAT !!!

I like the chorus, lots of feelings and doubled.

'deja-vu'

Paramnesia is a mnemonic disorder, which consists of faulty recognition of mnemonic material. Characteristic examples of paramnesia are:

-Deja Vu - The recognition of new experiences as familiar, in which case the person has the feeling that he/she has experienced something which occurs for the first time.

-Jamais Vu - The innability to recognise experiences which have been experienced by the person before.

translated from the book: Neurology - Dimitris Vasilopoulos (Paschalidis Editions), ©2003, which is the neurology book for general medicine in Athens....

'deja-vu'

A good song, but not among my favourites. The harmony parts in the middle are great.

'deja-vu'

I really really like this song - beautiful melodies and cool drum rhythm. I think everybode can relate to the lyrics becoz everybody has a deja-vu from time to time, or not?

'deja-vu'

So few replies?
Four stars from me. The melody has an almost pop-metal feel to it which I have no shame in enjoying [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . As all pop flicks, this one too has a very classic structure but with a Maiden twist. The cadences and the following part in the middle are superb!

[!--QuoteBegin-gor+Jun 1 2004, 10:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ Jun 1 2004, 10:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Paramnesia is a  mnemonic disorder, which consists of faulty recognition of mnemonic material.
[snapback]69794[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yes, I've read that deja vu is in fact an illusion - a kind of short circuit in the brain. But "could you be wrong?".

'deja-vu'

while it starts rather catchy, it doesn't really go anywhere for me, sounds out of a mega man video game and the lyrics are weak to say the least. Can you say "filler"?

'deja-vu'

I quite like it. Four Stars. The nice slow intro, followed by the fast intro leading into that catchy riff....breathtaking. One of the most underrated songs on SiT, and the lyrics are hilarious too.

'deja-vu'

I find it to be underrated, and it's a pity that it's scoring so low. I give it 4.5

Re: 'deja-vu'

I am a big lover of early electronical music, more precisely Jean Michel Jarre. Too bad that the genre once filled with ingenious musician-engineers turned into one big mainstream thump-thump no-music what is known as techno today.

The rather long harmony part reminds me much of early Jarre's works, his simple melodies and simple backgrounds, recreating perfect atmosphere. Oxygen and Equinox type of work.

This is one of a few Maiden songs that don't feature "real" solo, except for the Dave's intro and the guitar fillins during the verse. The song is really simple, both musically and lyrically. It's filled with simple harmonies, drumming is fairly simple. Lyrics are easy to understand and straightforward.

Not what you'd expect from Maiden, but it's a hell of a track. Simple track, a lot of guitar lines that are alike, but not the same, with a great atmospheric recreation.

I don't think this song is merely a filler, let's do some simple 10 minute to write lyrics, we'll stuff in a bunch of harmonies, Dave will play a bit of lines here and there, we'll ditch the synth in so it blends with the rest of the album. I think that actually a fair, normal amount of Maiden work has been put into this one.

Things don't need to be complex to be effective. 4.75/5, if i may.

Daily Song: Deja Vu

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Deja Vu

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I think it has decent lyrics, but Bruce isn't 100% on the track. It's fairly synthy; I've never loved this track, but I often enjoy it. 6.5/10, so a 7.

Re: Daily Song: Deja Vu

This track could have done with a solo. even more reason to believe dave lacked inspiration on this album. still. good melodies and riffs. 8/10. really suits the album

This is not only the most underappreciated track on SIT, it’s the most underappreciated track by Maiden. Dave’s clear and pure guitar melodies carry this song. They combine with Nicko’s relentless pacing and backroads rhythm shifting to give it a feel of quiet desperation. Could have been a great instrumental, but Bruce’s vocal is a nicely understated element that complements the song instead of leading it. It’s got that great feel of Still Life, but a faster pace and is a better song. Fourth nine of the record.

By far the worst track on the album, just a filler track to me. The guitar riffs are not bad but the singing is awful, well more like the vocal lines are awful. Was almost going to give it a 6 but I like the lyrics, and I think the lyrics justify it's place on the album so a 7/10.

Harmonies at their best, great groove, a bit simple lyrics but the overall music + synth backgrounds compensate for that.
Straight 10.

Simply the worst song off SIT. It's just poor.

4/10.

Lyrics prevent it from being rated lower.

definition of catchy from Oxford Dictionaries Online:

catchy

Pronunciation: /ˈkatʃi/

adjective (catchier, catchiest)
     (of a tune or phrase) instantly appealing and memorable:
           Iron Maiden - Deja-vu (Dave Murray / Steve Harris (1986)

definition of déjà vu from Oxford Dictionaries Online:

déjà vu

Pronunciation:/deɪʒɑː ˈvuː, deʒa vy/

noun
[mass noun]
   a feeling of having already experienced the present situation
   or: Iron Maiden's most catchy song from their discography

This is Maiden's most catchy song. It's incredibly melodic, and it's so infectious that you can't sit still while hearing it. I always have to tap my feet, or air drum when I hear this. This is mostly due to Nicko's work. He plays with such feel and dynamics, I have rarely heard a drummer play so fluently. The accents are well done, all in sync with 'Arry. The whole thing is played perfect, but not in a robotic way. This is a driven human pounding the skins, while having one of his best days. The guitar (synth) layers which were done on top of it contain some of Maiden's best harmonies. The lyrics are short but Bruce delivers the words in a mesmerizing way.

There is no "main solo" but in the beginning we hear one of Dave's most sensitive outbursts. And it's a great moment when eveything starts so suddenly. Indeed... that's exactly like the feeling you get when experiencing a deja-vu.

Straight 10

On the amazing album that this song is on, it feels a bit weak.  I already gave CSIT, Heaven Can Wait, Sea of Madness and Loneliness an 8, and this song isn't quite as good as them.  So it's 7, but very close to 8.

As Foro says, this song is extremely catchy. It has several great melodic hooks, and it is certainly not receiving the credit it deserves when people come up with 4s and 5s. However, the lyrics are a bit lacking. With better lyrics it would have been on par with the other songs that I've rated 9 on this album, but as it is I don't feel it deserves more than 8.

Back