definitive Top 5 album list

Forostar said:
Superb combination of excellent musicianship and songwriting. This is the only Rush album with all songs being very strong.

*Gasps*

Not... even... Hemispheres???

Anyway, mine own:

1.  The Chemical Wedding - Bruce Dickinson

This album is an obsession for me.  Every part of the album is so deep, weighted, and heavy that it forces me to turn it up and listen carefully everytime I hear it.  The songs themselves are amazing; particularly the holy trinity of "Book of Thel", "Jerusalem" (of which the last bit is to me the greatest thing in music) and "Trumpets of Jericho".  I have the expanded version, and the 3 additional songs are also amazing.  I love the little things on the album; the way "The Alchemist" recalls the "Chemical Wedding", I love the connectivity between tracks, I love the little bits of poetry on the album.  I always wait for the extra minute and a half after "Confeos" to hear the last bit of poetry.  Gives me chills every time.

2.  Powerslave - Iron Maiden

The first Maiden album I really got into.  Everything is there - the classic songs, an instrumental, one hell of an epic, and (to me at least) not an ounce of filler.  This is the first album (that I think, anyways) that H comes into his own - his and Davey's solos are for the first time show stoppers.  Steve's bass is at its peak of excellence.  The production is stellar, with the bass nice and high in the mix, the guitars with the right amount of crunch, and the drums just the way I like them.  This is the album that snared me.

3. Tokyo Tales - Blind Guardian

A week ago I might've said that another album on this list was the best live album ever.  But it's been surpassed.  Tokyo Tales is energetic, crazy, wild, and just pure metal.  Needless to say, Hansi sounds amazing, as do the rest of the band.  The mix is raw and powerful, and just ignites whatever speakers they're played through.  The album is also charming in its simulatenous confusion and hilarity, with the band selecting 10 of their heaviest, fastest songs, and then a Beach Boys cover.  Hansi's introductions make no sense, as it is their first time touring outside Germany.  This album is ridiculously addicting and just fun to play and sing along to.

4. Alive In Athens - Iced Earth

As mentioned above, it might've been for me the definitive of live metal.  Killer setlist, great value for money, and the performances slay the studio ones.  If I am elected Prime Minister, I will mandate that all live albums must be made in a similar vein to Alive In Athens.

5. Rush in Rio - Rush

Another fantastic live album, and up the list due to my experience of Rush in Toronto (for the 2nd time) on the 12th.  Just nonstop proof of why Rush rules - the drums are ridiculous, the bass is tight, and the crowd is loud.  It's interesting to see the effect of the Rush setlists - it has the same number of tracks as Alive In Athens, but all but 2 of them were recorded in one night.  Just epic.

GuineaPig said:
*Gasps*

Not... even... Hemispheres???

How brilliant this album may be, I do dislike Circumstances a bit, it has an annoying chorus (Geddy sucked doing that the last tour). Also the title track I find a tiny worse than the epics on e.g. "A Farewell To Kings". Still it's better than 2112 imo. La Villa Strangiato might surely be in my top 5 of all Rush songs, and The Trees has one of the best mid pieces ever written.

Forostar said:
How brilliant this album may be, I do dislike Circumstances a bit, it has an annoying chorus (Geddy sucked doing that the last tour). Also the title track I find a tiny worse than the epics on e.g. "A Farewell To Kings". Still it's better than 2112 imo. La Villa Strangiato might surely be in my top 5 of all Rush songs, and The Trees has one of the best mid pieces ever written.

It's weird... Geddy wasn't great on the last tour (he wask OK in Ottawa when I saw them, but not so much on the live CD).  However, he was absolutely ace when I saw them in Toronto.  I was very surprised.

I might be a bit biased because "Hemishpheres" and "La Villa Strangiato" are my two favourite Rush songs, but I just love Hemispheres so damn much. 

SinisterMinisterX said:
Interesting. The first Blaze songs I ever heard were from Blood And Belief (although the first complete Blaze album I ever heard was Silicon Messiah). While the later two are both very good, I've always thought that Silicon Messiah was easily the best of the three.
I took these comments on board and had another proper listen to Silicon Messiah last night. I do see why people rate this album as it is a very good solid album, but Blood & Belief for me is better.

However, some albums grow on you and Silicon Messiah has this potential. A bit like The X Factor - it took me an age to get into this album.

Also an ever changing list for me but I will * the ones that NEVER fall out of the top 5:

*1. Queensryche, Operation: Mindcrime - The best concept album ever, period. Every song on this album is not just good, it's great. The story is fascinating and interesting and the dialog amongst characters between and during the songs is classic. One HELL of an ending with Eyes of a Stranger as well, complete choas. ..... It's 10 minutes past curfew, why are you still up, hello? HELLO..... perhaps you need another shot.

Operation%20%20Mindcrime.jpg

Sweet dreams.... you bastard.

*2. Helloween, Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I - Another collection of tremendous songs, not a bad one in the bunch and a great first part to another great album (although not in the top 5), KOTSK Part II. I have mentioned this before but I still have the original CD that I fist bought, which is amazing considering how much I have moved; and I have played the song Halloween on every Halloween every year since this album has been out. This being impressive because I have made sure to have it with me in countries such as Qatar, Afghanistan, Japan and Guatamala when I knew I would be spending October 31st in these locations.

helloween-keeper.jpg

3. Black Sabbath, Sabotage - To me, easily Black Sabbath's best work with a great mix of heavy and mellow psychedelic music. During my drug induced days, this was my regular "drift off to sleep" album. The manic laughter carrying from Am I Going Insane into The Writ is brilliant.

Sabotage.jpg

*4. Iron Maiden, Live After Death - This is my favorite live album of all time. I don't need to explain the love of Iron Maiden behind it here. I am happy to have seen it semi-recreated recently. This album holds a special place for me because it is of the tour in which I first saw them live. Most people here believe that the majority of the songs on this album have been played to death at this point, and rightfully so; but when this was released, that was FAR from the case. Bruce's rants are passe at this point but are classic on this album.

liveafterfull.jpg

5. Megadeth, Rust in Peace - This is my favorite Megadeth album and to me, represents what a perfect heavy metal album should be. Every song kicks ass from beginning to end and they carry deep and profound political meaning behind them. There are not too many songs out there better than Tornado of Souls.

B000002UUX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sabotage is an excellent album, and perhaps the hardest they've made. It also features Sabbath's longest song, "Megalomania", with its kick ass riff. That Helloween album is an excellent pick as well! I have some good memories about Helloween. Next to Maiden one of the earliest metal bands I got into.

200px-WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
After years of experimentation following Syd Barrett's departure, they finally got it all together in 1975. A moving record in more than one way.

Zappa_Can%27t_Do_That_on_Stage_2.jpg

2. Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2
I considered maybe half a dozen albums for this spot, but I decided on this one in the end. There's very little on this album that isn't brilliant.

Genesis_-_Selling_England_by_the_Pound.jpg

3. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway just might be the best three consecutive albums released by any band, and the middle one wins a narrow victory over the others. In fact, I'd call this the greatest prog rock album of all time; it captures everything that's great about the genre in the way only Genesis ever did. King Crimson perfected the experimental approach, Yes knew how to be catchy, but Genesis could do it all.

200px-Iron_Maiden_-_A_Matter_Of_Life_And_Death.jpg

4. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Not even Piece of Mind can beat this one. It's simply the most consistent, most absorbing, most insanely brilliant album the band has released. It's probably the progressive edge that wins me over.

200px-Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg

5. Rush - Permanent Waves
A short while ago I would have said either A Farewell to Kings or Moving Pictures, but this one has grown on me immensely lately. It strikes a perfect balance between the progressive and the more straightforward Rush.

Honourable mentions are Bruce Dickinson's Skunkworks, Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Thin Lizzy's Johnny the Fox and King Crimson's Red.

Iron Maiden - The X Factor

200px-Iron_Maiden_-_The_X_Factor.jpg

I don't think it will surprise anyone here that this is my number one pick. The album is as close to perfection as it can be. The music creates an intense atmosphere that grabs me each time. This is one of the few albums I can never have on as background music- I lose myself in it every time. Although the album is very dark and melancholic, it works for me no matter what mood I'm in. The lyrics' subjects are extraordinary deep for a rock/metal album, and I guess I could write a book about every single one of those songs and what they make me think about.

Blaze - Silicon Messiah

200px-Smartwork.jpg

My feelings for this album are similar to the ones to The X Factor. Somehow, the songs on this album are very diverse and yet form a perfect match. Everything about this album, artwork, lyrics, songs, instrumentals, and everything else, is simply amazing. And with this post, I officially declare Stare At The Sun my favourite song ever, bar none.

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding

The%20Chemical%20Wedding.jpg

This one is very special to me because I have many memories associated with it. Pretty much everything I said about the previous two albums apply to this one as well, and again, I can't find a weak spot. I have no idea where I would be today without this album.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

746035.jpg

I love this one for its beautiful, harmonic melancholy. This may be the most moving piece of music I know.

Queen - Innuendo

Innuendo.jpg

This album sums up everything that Queen is about. It perfectly manages to combine the band's famous seventies glam rock with its equally famous eighties pop, and yet sounds fresh, individual and original. Perhaps you could have shortened it by two songs, but in the end, it doesn't matter. Also, I need to mention how moving it is to hear what a man is capable of, facing his imminent death.

Albums I don't want to leave unmentioned are:

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Rush - 2112
Iced Earth - Dark Saga
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Led Zeppelin - III
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Uriah Heep - Demons And Wizards
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Dio - Sacred Heart
UFO - Strangers In The Night

GuineaPig said:
1.  The Chemical Wedding - Bruce Dickinson

This album is an obsession for me.  Every part of the album is so deep, weighted, and heavy that it forces me to turn it up and listen carefully everytime I hear it.  The songs themselves are amazing; particularly the holy trinity of "Book of Thel", "Jerusalem" (of which the last bit is to me the greatest thing in music) and "Trumpets of Jericho".  I have the expanded version, and the 3 additional songs are also amazing.  I love the little things on the album; the way "The Alchemist" recalls the "Chemical Wedding", I love the connectivity between tracks, I love the little bits of poetry on the album.  I always wait for the extra minute and a half after "Confeos" to hear the last bit of poetry.  Gives me chills every time.

It's like you read my mind and wrote down in words exactly what I love about The Chemical Wedding, except better. I especially agree with what you say about Jerusalem, it is some of the best in music. :)

1. Brave New World - Iron Maiden

BNW.jpg

'Brave New World' is simply still the best album I've ever listened to.

Favourite songs are:

The Nomad
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
Brave New World

However, even the best album has its weak song, and here it's 'Fallen Angel', one of the worst Maiden songs ever.

2. Chemical Wedding - Bruce Dickinson

CW.jpg

'Chemical Wedding' is almost as great as 'Brave New World'.

Favourite songs are:

King in Crimson
The Tower
Jerusalem
Gates of Urizen

'Machine Man' and 'Trumpets Of Jericho' cannot really keep up with the rest, though.

3. Resurrection - Halford

R.jpg

'Resurrection' is an absolute corker! I like this one better than any Judas Priest album.

Favourite songs are:

Hell's Last Survivor
Resurrection
Slow Down
Cyberworld
Temptation
Silent Screams

However, I'm not too fond of 'Drive', it doesn't really fit in there.

4. Live Evil - Black Sabbath

LiveEvil.jpg

'Live Evil' must be the best sounding live album ever. The way it was mixed is out of this world. Both Geezer Butler's bass and Tony Iommi's guitar over-run you like a tank. Dio is amazing as well.

Favourite songs are:

Iron Man (best version ever)
Neon Nights
N.I.B. (best version ever)

But then, I'm not really into 'Mob Rules' I must say.

5. Tribute - Ozzy Osbourne/Randy Rhoads

Tribute.jpg

'Tribute' is Randy's legacy, that's for sure. He's one of my favourite guitar players (and so is Tony Iommi).

His guitar sound is out of this world here. His playing is extremely accurate and clear, it's a bliss to listen to.

Favourite songs are:

Crazy Train
I Don't Know
Mr. Crowley
Suicide Solution (including a stunning guitar solo)

Weak point is 'Steal Away (The Night)'.

Deano said:
Operation: Mindcrime doesn't.

I think 'Suite Sister Mary' is the weak point there. I will skip this song. Nevertheless, 'Operation: Mindcrime' is one of my favourite albums as well.

Most mentioned top-5 albums up til now:

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding 5

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death 3
Iced Earth - Alive In Athens 3

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time 2 (I know it's actually 3, but Zare's post got deleted by Mav)
Iron Maiden - Live After Death 2
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 2
Megadeth - Rust In Peace 2

I think 'Suite Sister Mary' is the weak point there. I will skip this song. Nevertheless, 'Operation: Mindcrime' is one of my favourite albums as well

Love that tune, the haunting guitar melodies and pouring rain backdrop give me chills.

Here's my Top 5 as of right now -- it may not be consistent with voting in other polls, but if Brett Favre can change his mind about the same thing 20 times, so can I.  Why does this thread keep making me thing of John Cusak and Jack Black arguing in a record store...

1.  Blind Guardian - Live

b3a7a2c008a0b19de7565010.L.jpg

Great band musically, and they sound terrific live.  This album actually sounds like a studio album with some crowd noise, that's how great they sound live.  Much better, production-wise, than nearly all of their studio albums, which run the gamut from their earlier records which sound like demo tapes to their over-produced later efforts.  Excellent songs, impressive musicianship.  Not a weak track on the album -- my only complaint is that it does not contain "And Then There Was Silence," but that is available on the DVD.  I love this album and listen to it all the time.

2.  The Clash - London Calling
3.  The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
51wGbZX-GWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
511HP1HDTXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I discovered both of these albums at about the same time.  Leaving aside how influential these albums were to later artists -- which in many respects I think is irrelevant to my enjoyment of the music -- they're both fabulous records.  Both are double albums, and yet not a single one of the 36+ songs on them could be considered filler.  These albums are simply perfect.  I keep coming back to them and enjoying them every time I hear them. 

4.  Iron Maiden - Powerslave

61dFUX0%2B4gL._SS500_.jpg

This is a close call, as I like Somewhere In Time and Brave New World almost equally as much.  But, I'm going with Powerslave because it has "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" on it.  I could make SiT or BNW my #5, but that would be boring.

5.  Metallica - Master of Puppets

418MR1SQNKL._SS500_.jpg

This was not only the first Metallica album I heard when I was a kid, it was the first "speed metal" album I heard as a kid.  My reaction was to exclaim "Holy sh*t," run out and buy it, and listen to it non-stop throughout the summer of 1988. 

Honorable Mention:  Eisley - Room Noises

514YPJD4WTL._SS500_.jpg

I tried to make room on my Top 5 list for this album, but I just couldn't justify bumping any of those five in favor of this.  Again, you could probably slot Somewhere in Time, Brave New World and maybe a couple other Iron Maiden albums ahead of this album, but it's certainly in my Top 10 and I wanted to mention this one because I doubt many of you know about Eisley.  Put this in the "guilty pleasure" department, it is pure pop music -- very different from what most of the folks on this thread have listed on their Top Five lists.  But it's not just pop music.  Written and recorded by three teenage sisters from Tyler, Texas, it is some of the prettiest pop music you'll ever hear. 

I recently found out that Halford's Resurrection album features a duet with Bruce Dickinson. Just a little tangent I was reminded of when I saw a post here with just that album on it.

Forostar said:
Most mentioned top-5 albums up til now:

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding 5

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death 3
Iced Earth - Alive In Athens 3

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time 2 (I know it's actually 3, but Zare's post got deleted by Mav)
Iron Maiden - Live After Death 2
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 2
Megadeth - Rust In Peace 2

very interesting statistics  :ok:

Chemical Wedding is by a lot of means an excellent album, I'm happy to see it in the first place

cornfedhick said:
2.  The Clash - London Calling
Interesting choice. I do like the odd bit of punk and I have to admit The Clash is one of the better bands. The Guns of Brixton is an absolute classic.

Albie said:
Interesting choice. I do like the odd bit of punk and I have to admit The Clash is one of the better bands. The Guns of Brixton is an absolute classic.
I was going to comment on that choice too, as I absolutely love this album, and especially the title track. It's also one of the last songs played before QPR come out at home (Mick Jones at least is a QPR fan).

1. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Maiden's best album imo.

2. Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet
All the songs in this album are good. Not a single weak track. Awesome guitars and keyboards. This album also works when you're feeling down depressed and lonely. Great way to soothe "the pain".

3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
First album of the band that I ever listened to. Made me a fan. Simply just awesome album.

4. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Three words - Fade to Black.

5. Guns 'n' Roses - Greatest Hits
Yeah. Sweet Child o' Mine, November Rain, Welcome to the Jungle etc. Slash is one of my favorite guitarists, and Axl is (or at least WAS) an awesome vocalist. Good album, but still doesn't include "Estranged"

Back