Deep Purple

I posted a live version of The Cut Runs Deep some pages ago. That's from Ostrava 1991 show. I think that Lord is wearing a Maiden t-shirt.

Obviously Blackmore is just a legend, but Steve Morse is such a damn good guitar player. I caught them live last year and musically Deep Purple is so incredibly good at this stage of their career ... Morse being a big reason for that. I picked up some of his solo LPs and they are fun to listen to.

AOR is the right word and I don't like it, at all. There are some good moments like Dead Or Alive and Mad Dog but that's about it for me.
I really can't believe that same band recorded Perfect Strangers just a couple of years ago...

Also Dead Or Alive intro is same as Not Responsible riff. It's also a clone of Rainbow's Fire Dance.
Mad Dog is a bit more 'original' as in Blackmore didn't repeat himself, they rather did some generic hard rock but pretty much right.

Just listened to House of Blue Light for the first time. Similar to what others have said Bad Attitude and Dead or Alive are good, DOA in particular.

As Zare says, very AOR and not at all what I want from Purple. Despite that I also liked Black and White, AOR in places but some nice riffs in the middle and who doesn't like a dose of harmonica? Mad Dog is also a decent rocker. But Call of the Wild, good fuck, one of the worst Purple songs I've heard.

Also really enjoyed Mitzi Dupree, good bluesy tale, something in it reminds me of Zappa during the long run down.

Overall, not very consistent/cohesive IMO. Like, storming rockers like DOA and horse shit like Call of the Wild on the same record? To be fair, if I heard Call of the Wild at a wedding or on some cheesy 80s playlist, I wouldn't mind but I don't want to hear Purple do this kinda stuff.

3 Stars, pretty much all the good elements have been done better by Purple elsewhere

Ah I hear it now, its almost exactly and then...it isnt. Good spot.

On further inspection, this tune aint half bad. Maybe I should give the whole thing another spin. But I still feel theres much better out there if I want my Purple fix. One for the diehards, maybe

Ah I hear it now, its almost exactly and then...it isnt. Good spot.

On further inspection, this tune aint half bad. Maybe I should give the whole thing another spin. But I still feel theres much better out there if I want my Purple fix. One for the diehards, maybe

Hard for me to recommend something when you say Purple Fix... how much DO you know?!

A relatively pitiful amount, I'm sure!

I got the best of about 10 years ago and have occasionally stuck an album on, Machine Head, Made in Japan and whatever one Farmers Daughter is on . Aside from that its just the occasional tune on youtube. I love what I know though and am a fan of watching the odd documentary on yertube.

Educate me, good sir!

A relatively pitiful amount, I'm sure!

I got the best of about 10 years ago and have occasionally stuck an album on, Machine Head, Made in Japan and whatever one Farmers Daughter is on . Aside from that its just the occasional tune on youtube. I love what I know though and am a fan of watching the odd documentary on yertube.

Educate me, good sir!

In Rock .. would be a good one to start with, less famous than Machine Head, but damn damn good. Also, I really like their newer stuff. Now What!? was just a great album, Rapture of the Deep was pretty damn good as well.

I agree with @bearfan and his In Rock pick....

Besides that ..go back and check the previous entrees in this thread. We've covered every album up until 1987.

Last edited:
@Zare , @Black Bart what's your opinion on House of Blue Light? :)
Sorry for the lateness, I thought I was following the thread.

The House of Blue Light
is one of the first DP album I have had (on a copied tape then), back when I got into hard rock (1993). As opposed to albums that sound like being recorded with a certain unity of feel and sound, THOTBL sounds more like a collection of songs and performances: each song is at least ok and every member is excellent of course (though I think Jon Lord was much more common-sounding when he used keyboards instead of organs) but it is much less a band effort than other albums, to such extent that the whole album doesn't flow very well.

The inspiration and effort of unity of Perfect Strangers had worn thin. For instance, the guitar on most of "Mitzi Dupree" was recorded by Roger Glover because Ritchie Blackmore did not want to push this song pas the demo stage.

The video clip for "Call of the Wild" sums up where the band was at then pretty well. The intro and outro shots of the band are bittersweet: as much as they are intended to be funny, they pretty much correspond to the members' sense of involvement as being part of a band back then: none of them was hungry at that moment, hence a pretty tame group effort and probably DP's worst album ever.

The disappointing live Nobody's Perfect (featuring a useless and uninspired re-recording of "Hush" - at least Maiden did not put "Prowler '88" and "Charlotte the Harlot '88" on a LP, hopefully) did nothing to hold the band's reputation high, while Ian Gillan and Roger Glover, with Accidentally on Purpose, experienced first hand the weight of the tag "from Deep Purple" and the album flopped although it could have appealed to mainstream audiences had it been recorded by someone else.

All in all, the years 1987-1989 saw Deep Purple and its members going through the motions and that is when the band started finding its relevance only as a nostalgia act for most of the general audience -becoming an "old band" for good- , an image they have never really managed to break ever since despite the rejuvenation that the release of Purpendicular brought.

This period of transition in the band's image proved fatal to the relationship between Ian Gillan (who -according to his autobiography- felt relief upon being fired at the end of the tour) and Ritchie Blackmore who couldn't stand the singer's repeated vocal weakness on stage, and The Battle Rages On was pretty much a repetition of this album: a great assembly of musicians but no magic any more.

My favorite songs: "The Unwritten Law", "The Spanish Archer", "Dead or Alive"
The ones I like the least: "Hard Lovin' Woman", "Black and White"

Has anyone seen the ceremony? Blackmore was not present. He was asked, but chose not to come.

Interviews:

Lars mentions Maiden a couple of times:

Last edited:
Back