Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown

Yeah, there are some head-scratchers on there.
Wonder how much us newbies are going to change that.

Genghis Khan said:
Tailgunner appreciated on this forum??? Maybe by Albie and myself, but not much otherwise, at least for Old Timers.  I believe that the song was in the bottom quarter for sure in that old ratings that LC linked somewhere around here.

Sorry, the last two Invader mentioned.

No More Lies and The Edge of Darkness.

Despite the ranking LC provided, I always read positive comments on No More Lies, I seem to be the only one criticizing it. Now vala has joined but he dislikes the part I like (the intro) and I dislike the parts he likes.  :)

I also appreciate Tailgunner, and parts of The Educated Fool.

Again, great reading val.  I'm really enjoying the time and effort you're putting forth with these rankings.

The Educated Fool is a tune that's not bad, but I've never been able to fully get into it.  It has a nice gruffy (at least how I hear it) Blaze vocal and an interesting build up, but the chorus has always left me a bit cold.  Still in the context of that album, it's quite OK.

The Edge of Darkness- this has always been one of my favorite Blaze era tunes.  In many ways it reminds me of a modernized Hallowed.  At least the main riff has always sounded like that to me.  The only knock on it really is how matter of fact the lyrics are taken from the source.  Like verbatim.  I think Blaze sounds incredible on this song and it was awesome to witness live.

Tailgunner- like I stated in the rankings thread a few weeks back, I think much more of this song than most as it was the first Maiden song I ever heard.  These days I just can't escape the nostalgia that intro holds for me.  Yes there are better tracks but there's still something about this song that reminds me why I love Maiden so much.

No More Lies- this is a song that most fans seem to like more than I do.  I love the dreamy intro and the lyrics.  But the chorus is awful and in the end it feels somewhat like a less good version of The Clansman.  To be fair, it works a lot better live than on disc, but that can't help me think that I would have ranked this  one a good deal lower.

Keep it up!

Forostar said:
Sorry, the last two Invader mentioned.

No More Lies and The Edge of Darkness.

Despite the ranking LC provided, I always read positive comments on No More Lies, I seem to be the only one criticizing it. Now vala has joined but he dislikes the part I like (the intro) and I dislike the parts he likes.  :)

I also appreciate Tailgunner, and parts of The Educated Fool.

That's right, I do remember that you give the early 90s albums a higher rating than the typical Maiden fan.  Tailgunner used to be an immediate 5/5 for me.  I think the bashing it has received here about its lyrics concerning "Fokker" has slightly lowered my outlook.  The Educated Fool and the whole VXI album has decreased in appreciation for me, as well.  Like you I like No More Lies intro.  ;)

I can see how that would be tough. Looked like a helluva lot of work.
It was also a great read. Thanks for all your efforts.

Do you mind if I start up a top 50 countdown? I wanted to wait until yours is finished but it may take ages :) I'll count down 5 songs each night so it will be over fairly quickly.

Back