Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown

Going all the way back to Quest for fire, I just had a sudden thought.  If QFF had been on Fear of the Dark replacing something like The Fugitive, which isn't very good but theres at least 2 worse songs then it on the album, instead of being on POM, it would have just been forgotten.  But since it was on POM, after 6 songs which are among the band's all time best, it was remembered as being a terrible song, but only because of the quality level of the other songs on the album.

Just a thought I had that I thought i should share.  Great job on here btw Vala  :ok:

Interesting 108.  Quest for fire has suffered a dual pronged misfortune: 1, It is the weakest song on an otherwise flawless album.  2, Some of the lyrics are historically inaccurate, and some people can't get past this.  IMO, it would be the second best song on FOD, and perhaps a 'best song contender' on a couple other Maiden albums as well.  It is way underrated in my book.

A good point for Quest For Fire, musically it is a catchy song and has some real high points.  On FOTD or No Prayer, it would probably be liked more.

Prowler_108 said:
Going all the way back to Quest for fire, I just had a sudden thought.  If QFF had been on Fear of the Dark replacing something like The Fugitive, which isn't very good but theres at least 2 worse songs then it on the album, instead of being on POM, it would have just been forgotten.  But since it was on POM, after 6 songs which are among the band's all time best, it was remembered as being a terrible song, but only because of the quality level of the other songs on the album.

Just a thought I had that I thought i should share.  Great job on here btw Vala  :ok:
Thanks Prowler.

Regarding QFF though, while I do agree that it might be appreciated more on a "weak" album, I still consider it one of the weakest Iron Maiden songs overall. Considering that I didn't listen to the songs by album when I initially ranked them, I don't think that QFF being on a different album would have mattered much for me. I think I listened to my playlist with the songs sorted alphabetically or by song length or some arbitrary criteria... but not by album since I wanted to judge each song by its merits against the band's entire catalog.

Now, for what it's worth... I think that over the past several months of listening to the songs in heavy rotation, I believe that I might want to bump QFF up one place since there's one song in particular that I've realized is really bad. So on the next incarnation of this list - whenever that may happen - people can expect "The Apparition" to claim the bottom spot and QFF will be at least one position higher :p I'm not saying that the songs are "misplaced" like what I said about DLttEoaS since they're in the correct vicinity on the list. They will just be the recepients of some minor tweaking :)

valacirca said:
but not by album since I wanted to judge each song by its merits against the band's entire catalog.

That's a real deal!!!!  :ok:

I realize how difficult it is (especially with Maiden, since all their songs are beyond awesome, with some exceptions)...

Can't wait to see the 40s. Keep it up val!  :yey:

I'll postpone the next update until the first or second week of January folks. Aside from it being the holiday season, my wife's grandmother passed away on Christmas morning, so there are things that need to be done... The same goes for the Head-to-Head thread as well.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to MaidenFans!

valacirca said:
I'll postpone the next update until the first or second week of January folks. Aside from it being the holiday season, my wife's grandmother passed away on Christmas morning, so there are things that need to be done... The same goes for the Head-to-Head thread as well.

Sorry to hear about the passing in your family Val. I'm sure i'm not alone in saying take as much time as you need, the countdown can certainly wait until you're ready to return to it. It's been awesome to read so far, can't wait until we reach the top songs :D

bearfan said:
A good point for Quest For Fire, musically it is a catchy song and has some real high points.   On FOTD or No Prayer, it would probably be liked more.

First time I heard QFF I laughed my ass off. Not just at the words but Bruce's vocals just cracked me up to. I don't hate the song by any stretch but it is a total facepalm moment IMO...in a funny way.

valacirca said:

Take your time.  My condolences. 

Happy New Year to all!

My condolences, Vala. 

I actually like Quest for Fire, despite its flaws.  The lyrics are unintentionally comical, true (especially the "rubbing stick and stone" bit), but when I'm listening to Piece of Mind, I always find myself enjoying the song -- singing along even.  I don't even mind the bit about cavemen and dinosaurs living at the same time, as I can suspend disbelief and think of it in a "Land of the Lost" or "Journey to the Center of the Earth" context.  Still, I can't make a strong case for it being rated higher (i.e., lower-numbered) on Vala's kist. 

Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown - Songs #97-95

Thanks for all the kind words of condolences folks. Much appreciated.

97. Lord of Light (A Matter of Life and Death) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FveF3Q6ScOQ
"Free your soul and let it fly"

As much as I love the band, one thing that I think is disappointing about them is their tendency to overuse a lot of elements in the way they arrange their songs. One overused approach that's a pet peeve of mine in particular is how they often start with a slow and soft intro, which goes on for a while before the track settles into a powerful groove. There are instances where the approach feels fresh and works well; but for a lot of tracks – including this one - it feels like I've heard it too often already.

More often that not though, the transition from soft to heavy delivers a big payoff and “Lord of Light” is no exception. The meek intro is a bit of a monotonous slouch; but once the song gets going, it's a riveting experience. And the song comes into full form when the chorus hits, which is one of the more finely crafted choruses in the Iron Maiden songbook - one that I always look forward to when this song comes into rotation on the playlist.

96. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (Brave New World) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZs65QhhFrs
"I will hope, my soul will fly, so I will live forever"

There's a few things to love and few things to hate here (pun intended). One thing that the song has going for it is that the melody for the most part is catchy. The instrumental sections are solid and the chorus in particular hooks the listener instantly. The inspired and soaring anthemic way that Bruce delivers the vocal line in the chorus is amazing. That's a brilliant vocal right there, which is sadly not the case for the rest of the song. Much of the other lines are dull and monotone – even robotic to an extent – and that's a lot of lines like that at the start of the track. It makes the first several minutes pass by anonymously and ends up leaving the 8-minute running time of this song slightly unwarranted.

The song is great for the most part though. The middle part clearly stands out for me since it contains a lot of chorus repetitions and guitar work. From then on, it's a steadily rising build-up to a fantastic instrumental climax to close the album. I'm not much of a fan of the soft, melancholic (read: dramatic) lines that are woven into the last few minutes, but I can live with it.

95. The Prophecy (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoWhApJnfXw
"No one believed in my true prophecy and now it's too late"

As brilliant as SSoaSS is, I always get disappointed by its back end. I dropped the closing track a few places back, and now I'll also have to drop this one here as well since I hold it in the same regard as "Only the Good Die Young" relative to the rest of the tracks from that release. This one works much better within the experience of the whole album; but as a standalone song, it's effect is significantly reduced.

The song is no stinker. If it was, it wouldn't be 56 places into the countdown. It's just not as great as the other songs from the band's classic era. It sounds technically impressive but devoid of feeling. I like the tranquil opening melodies as good melodies, but they don't seem to capture any actual emotion. The marching rhythm and galloping groove are trademark Maiden, but the mid-paced nature of the song seems to dampen the intensity that it could have otherwise had. The only part of the track that doesn't feel watered down and average is the undeniably brilliant acoustic outro. It's as if all the soul in the song was siphoned to that Latin-inspired guitar work, which is not just a highlight of the song but one of the highlights of the whole album as well.

I freakin' LOVE "Thin Line".  Totally underrated album closer, with the last sounds on the album being Nicko's lament. 

The thin line in my eyes is a freakin masterpiece and probably the best song off brave new world. The instrumental section is brilliant and the song contains some of bruces greatest vocals EVER. The verses are a little uninspired but everything else owns. It would make my top 20. i respect your decision though.

cornfedhick said:
I freakin' LOVE "Thin Line".  Totally underrated album closer, with the last sounds on the album being Nicko's lament. 

I listened to Thin Line for the first time in a while the other day and it is just an amazing song, though at this point in the countdown it is more of a level of greatness versus good or bad,

This is the point in the countdown I was dreading; some of my favorite Maiden songs are beginning to show up, a bit too low.  Thin line is just not that great, therefore I can agree with this ranking.  It always felt more like a 'FOTD' song rather than post reunion.  #96 is fine.   

Lord of light is okay here at #97.  The chorus is excellent, and I will have to disagree on the intro, it is perfectly placed as lead in to the heavy remains of the song.  That intro is spooky and deep and is AMOLAD in a nutshell.  The big problem here is the Prophecy at      # 95.  The best use of intro/outro ever in my opinion.  And the songs wild entrance off the intro,  Perfection throughout.  Bruce completely is at his best in the prophecy.  It is at least a top 30 Maiden classic all the way.  Again...your list!! LOL
    It is truly a joy having you back Val.  This top 100 is going to be very interesting, as most of the also-ran Maiden songs are now behind us.  Looking forward to the next 94!!

Genghis Khan said:
I love Thin Line and LoL, both have great guitar work and singing.
bearfan said:
I listened to Thin Line for the first time in a while the other day and it is just an amazing song
cornfedhick said:
I freakin' LOVE "Thin Line".
At this point in the countdown, when I see comments like this, I tend to think "Yeah, but do you also love 94 other amazing Iron Maiden songs at least as much as it?" Hehe. This is not to discourage people from commenting like this since any comment is better than no comment at all. I'm just saying :bigsmile:

bornless1 said:
That intro is spooky and deep
This is obviously a matter of perception, but I never felt that the LoL intro was spooky. The image in my head is Bruce leering over to a crowd making sweeping hand gestures with eyes wide open as he delivers those intro lines. It feels theatrical and melodramatic; not atmospheric enough for me to actually feel eerie.

bornless1 said:
The big problem here is the Prophecy at #95.  The best use of intro/outro ever in my opinion.  And the songs wild entrance off the intro,  Perfection throughout.  Bruce completely is at his best in the prophecy.  It is at least a top 30 Maiden classic all the way.
Amazing outro, definitely. The intro is just okay. And the entrance of the song hardly feels wild, which is part of my gripe about it: That to me, the song lacks a certain amount of passion and intensity. The outro is the only part of it where I feel any soul.

bearfan said:
at this point in the countdown it is more of a level of greatness versus good or bad
QFT.

Back